TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › My Experiences in China as a Black American teacher (New Dynamic Institute)
Dear De - 2012-12-17

I came to China to work as an English teacher. Not in anyway to be boastful, but I am a good teacher. I love what I do, and I enjoy my students. I am from the USA, and of course a native English speaker. However, after being in China for over one year, I find that is not what they really want. To be fair to my other foreign peers, most do a very good job of teaching. My concern is though I get passed over for jobs because of the color of my skin. While, the schools (like New Dynamic Institute) much rather employee a white non native speaker. And, just lie to their clients and say they are from America. I am currently in the process of leaving China, but this should be a warning to other teachers of any color. Racism is alive and well. They don't really like to admit it to themselves, but they are. To be a developing country is no longer an excuse... The world has moved to far along. I now find my job pointless. As, I came here to teach the English Language and culture. I find that they don't really want to know either. They just want to look like they do.

And I can't forget... NDI never pays on time!!!!! They treat ALL of their teachers horribly (Foreign and Domestic).

Below I posted the response I received from Headquarters in New Dynamic Institute about why they can't employee me. Even though I am American. I am also black. And half the teachers in Hefei are also black. That isn't true. Some of their teachers are from the Philipians, their is one full time teacher from Africa (non-native), three teachers I can say are from either America or Australia, and the other half are all non native speakers. Some of which I have helped by either explaining what a word or lesson meant; or switching classes with them b/c the level they were asked to teach was to high for them.

Now, please don't miss understand. There are a lot of non native speakers who are great teachers. But, schools like NEW DYNAMIC INSTITUTE should use their teachers for who they are. Employee teachers who can do the job you requested, and not just look like they should be able too. But, then again, not even they Chinese teachers speak English. The school is a waste of time and money.

Let this be a warning to teachers of dark skin.... Be mindful of the school and city you choose to go to if you want to have a good experience and job in China.

View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › My Experiences in China as a Black American teacher (New Dynamic Institute)

Go to another board -