TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: My Experiences in China as a Black American teacher (New Dynamic Institute)
Dragonized - 2012-12-21

Unfortunately, American blacks are more concerned with race than any other group of people on the planet. It is really sad.

I do think you are in the wrong with this statement. From my own personal experience I have met people from all walks of life from many different demographics who are obsessed with defending what they feel is "good" for their own respective races. I have come to think that it's become 2nd nature for most folks in this world.

Bottom line is, a young Caucasian male/female with distinct physical features that are generally of a Western European/Scandinavian lineage will always get the most leverage in the ESL world no matter where you go. As for others it really depends on which country you may be working in. For example Russian teachers teaching English may be able to make a salary that is equal to other Native English expat teachers in a country like China due to their looks, but may not be able to get away with doing so in Japan. On the other hand, American/British teachers of East Asian lineage may be able to make a salary that is almost on par or on par with other fellow Western expat teachers when working in Saudi Arabia, but will not if they're working in a place like China.

View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: My Experiences in China as a Black American teacher (New Dynamic Institute)

Go to another board -