TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Moonlighting in China, Baotou PSB
San Migs - 2013-01-25
In response to Re: Moonlighting in China, Baotou PSB (Dragonized)

Vindictive folks both of local and foreign origins are things any teacher needs to look out for when working in China. Behind every smile you see there could be a veil for something more sinister underneath. Keep that extra thought to yourself sometimes even if you are hanging out with foreigners, you never know if it will get passed around and end up in the wrong person's ears.

This kind of thing is also common in the arabian gulf. I don't have one friend from my time teaching in Oman, even fellow brits who I met many of there. 9 times out of 10, most expat ft's in arabia/asia just cannot be trusted. Hello, good morning, goodbye.....that should be the extent of your dialogue with people like you described. If you let slip ANYTHING which they think they can use against you, they WILL! If you are working part time, keep a lid on it, tell noone, trust noone.

Ultimately it is sad that we have to stoop to the level of these people, but you have to play them at their own game. Smile, be polite, but remain guarded. Don't mix work and pleasure. That said, the chinese people I met outside of work, were lovely. But even then you must be careful of what they want from you.

Thanks for the advice!

Messages In This Thread
Moonlighting in China, Baotou PSB -- Johnny -- 2013-01-24
Re: Moonlighting in China, Baotou PSB -- Dragonized -- 2013-01-25
Re: Moonlighting in China, Baotou PSB -- foxy -- 2013-01-25
Re: Moonlighting in China, Baotou PSB -- San Migs -- 2013-01-25
Re: Moonlighting in China, Baotou PSB -- Sainthood -- 2013-01-25
Re: Moonlighting in China, Baotou PSB -- Dragonized -- 2013-01-26
Re: Moonlighting in China, Baotou PSB -- San Migs -- 2013-01-26
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Moonlighting in China, Baotou PSB

Go to another board -