TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: ESL sure attract strange bedfellows!
Dragonized - 2013-03-26
In response to Re: ESL sure attract strange bedfellows! (John O'Shei)

I could even guess that the poster was actually Chinese as they have made that all too common assumption/false allegation (that usually comes from 19 year old Chinese nationalist, male, teenage, W.O.W enthusiast virgins) that every English teacher is fleeing from unemployment or relative poverty in their home country. Mind you, this time, the poster was quite creative I must admit. Funeral Parlour? That's a far more imaginative choice of dead end job providing employer than McDonald's or a warehouse, well done. It makes for a beautiful story. Chinese people love to write beautiful stories.

Yes, John I have found out myself I can still be a bit wet behind the ears at taking the stories of 50 cent brigadiers as well as that of old hyenas at face value all too often. Some poster using dirty argument tried to tell me off to not believe in the complaints of the bad private and public gigs in China at face value, but proceeded to go on a 2 month rant on my character on how I was on food stamps when I said no such thing about actually being on them. I do believe take the words of folks from the grovelling side too much at face value, and I thank you for pointing that out. In Mandarin Chinese this type of fantasizing about the plight of others can be called "Yi Yin" literally "Perverting Thoughts" and I translated the former character into a verbal form because it is the very action which drives these people with no life to do nothing but think that the whole world is in as dire of straits as they. I wonder now how many of these so called foreign teachers who post saying how great China is are actual foreigners. Making half a yuan at a time for every small post you write can't be an easy living, can it?

Also, a lot of training centre bosses rake in a fair bit of business in the short term, but can fail in the long term. Both teachers and more importantly students/customers see through the flaws of the business model and the place fails, either due to a lack of repeat business or more likely being the case, legal troubles. Some lack in marketing ability, expand too fast, offer a poor product e.t.c too. Chinese authorities might often fail to protect teachers and get bribed by corrupt local TC bosses, but they tend not to react well when a centre fails to even bother getting the correct visa for their foreign teachers and so on.

I myself am still owed money exceeding five figures in yuan by more than one training center franchise, money that I will most likely never see. I have also experienced personally myself as in sitting in the office at the local Foreign Bureau with the official acting as the "negotiator" on how corrupt and blatantly xenophobic they are at not wanting to listen to the side of foreign teachers. Speaking Chinese can actually be a disadvantage as that will open the floodgates for you to be exploited non-stop by both government officials and training center bosses or foreign assistance officers at public schools. Whatever you do, you have to always be on the lookout for scumbags in China as they are everywhere, and come in all forms, genders, ages, occupations, religions, ethnic groups, and will excessively drain you of your fighting spirit and love of life whether they be local Chinese or some idiot expat.

Messages In This Thread
Re: ESL sure attract strange bedfellows! -- Beelzebub -- 2013-03-24
Re: ESL sure attract strange bedfellows! -- Dragonized -- 2013-03-25
Re: ESL sure attract strange bedfellows! -- Beelzebub -- 2013-03-25
Re: ESL sure attract strange bedfellows! -- Dragonized -- 2013-03-26
Re: ESL sure attract strange bedfellows! -- San Migs -- 2013-03-25
Re: ESL sure attract strange bedfellows! -- Beelzebub -- 2013-03-25
Re: ESL sure attract strange bedfellows! -- San Migs -- 2013-03-29
Re: ESL sure attract strange bedfellows! -- Beelzebub -- 2013-03-29
Re: ESL sure attract strange bedfellows! -- San Migs -- 2013-03-30
Re: ESL sure attract strange bedfellows! -- John O'Shei -- 2013-03-25
Re: ESL sure attract strange bedfellows! -- John O'Shei -- 2013-03-26
Re: ESL sure attract strange bedfellows! -- Beelzebub -- 2013-03-26
Re: ESL sure attract strange bedfellows! -- John O'Shei -- 2013-03-26
Re: ESL sure attract strange bedfellows! -- Dragonized -- 2013-03-27
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: ESL sure attract strange bedfellows!

Go to another board -