TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: What is/isn't acceptable in a EFL job?
Collyhurst retired sewage worker - 2013-05-28

Things are going to change in China, and these changes are actually under way already as far as tertiary institutions of learning are concerned. Key unis in China administered directly by the Ministry of Education by the central Beijing government are leading in this process of change, with more and more provincial second and third-tier schools in the tertiary educational sector to follow - primary reasons being public acceptance and reputation as well as access to more public funds. Since the central government in Beijing started a campaign to attract and hire foreign experts with advanced degrees in their respective area of expertise, the days will be probably gone when unis/colleges were used to hiring foreigners with qualificational profiles lower than that. For example, the practical result could be that for Oral English teaching a Master Degree may be required in the future instead of a Bachelor or no degree in a relevant subject area at all.

Dear Dr.T,

Not meaning to sow discord, nor disagree with you too much, but when foreigners with even a genuine BA in English language (linguistics?) or literature are not so many in China, can you really some them going the Taiwan route and insisting on a MASTERS DEGREE for teaching oral english. I reckon they will tighten regulations (I assume you are referring to the upcoming July 1st changes?):

http://thebjreviewer.com/blog/2013/3/26/chinas-new-immigration-law-to-take-effect-july-1-2013

http://totallyexpat.com/global-immigration-news/china-government-issues-draft-rules-implement-immigration-law-solicits-public-feedback/

As yet there is much speculation as to what defines a "Foreign Expert" and whether a BA from a foreign university in any field will be enough. In all fairness, most of us just couldn't waltz into australia and get paid for opening our mouths, so it is only fair imho that they are tightening up. They will still need teachers and as long as you have your degree, not much to worry about I reckon, a storm in a teacup.....

Now maybe it was my many years spent in the darkness beneath manchester, but you learn to ride things out. You need to get yourself galvanized and find yourself a nice lass Turnoi, no point being all bitter and single, a wife can make your whole self happy, can she not? Chinese girls will cook for you as well as give you a language partner as well, which is nice. Look at me, I am no oil painting mate, your pal collyhurst:D

Messages In This Thread
Re: What is/isn't acceptable in a EFL job? -- Collyhurst retired sewage worker -- 2013-05-28
Re: What is/isn't acceptable in a EFL job? -- Beelzebub -- 2013-05-28
Re: What is/isn't acceptable in a EFL job? -- Collyhurst retired sewage worker -- 2013-05-28
Re: What is/isn't acceptable in a EFL job? -- Beelzebub -- 2013-05-29
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: What is/isn't acceptable in a EFL job?

Go to another board -