TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD
Jerry L'épeire - 2013-07-11

I purposely don't mention things as negative in giving reviews. I'd rather the FT just know the greater extent of what they're getting themselves into with Worlda and gauge it from there. Dan weighed in details; I chimed in with everything I couldn't help but notice he missed.

But, talk about poor souls.

I can't say about other education companies in China, but the thing with WORLDA is:

1. Every foreign face that walks through Worlda's door enters with a couple RMB attached to it, as Worlda buys CVs from other companies like FindWorkAbroad, China ESL, Commonwealth Learning, etc. Rarely will a foreign teacher apply directly with Worlda.

2. Because of #1, Worlda will never let FTs just walk out the door. FTs who walk are positions now empty and money down the drain. FTs who threaten to leave are either coddled into staying, offered positions like the one Dan will soon begin or "professionally" bullied with a contract that - at third glance - binds FTs' hands and feet. However, in a more positive light (to "rant about happiness," if you will), teachers that fail their teaching jobs are either moved to a different school (while Worlda arranges a Heavyweight to rescue the company's reputation), become substitute teachers on a pay that's meant to be hush-hush, or offered positions like the one Dan will soon begin.

3. Some FTs are thrown into situations wherein they are "required" to achieve high standard demands or be subject to under-the-table criticism (granting the FT can't speak Chinese) all because of misrepresentations forced under their noses by Worlda's Chinese staff. FTs are expected (by contract) simply to be cooperative and understanding. This means that cornering them about it will get you ignored. Cornering them again will get you intimidated and placed on the company's naughty list. An extra time will have you subject to contract fines.

4. Worlda's teaching staff is shamefully opportunistic and deems mundane opportunities highly advantageous when it comes to exploiting FTs. One teacher was asked the night before to prepare for a random musical performance at some school... all because one of the teaching department staff heard him humming to music on his iPod.

5. Because of #4, teachers who end up in schools with programs outside of just oral English (particularly at Worlda's top money-makers) who excel in those programs as FTs are grand avant-centres to exploitation and demands without negotiation of pay, as the contract says that FTs only get paid to teach. Anything extra that is arranged by the company will only be considered as an addition to your hours if Mary likes you. Even then, if it doesn't cross the 20 class-clock hours mark, it won't necessarily be "extra" pay.

6. Speaking of Mary... I won't say that Mary's the devil, but I will say that this game called Worlda, be it by Mary or other forces, was craftily put together. If you're not versed in turning chess boards, you could easily be fed a couple of bold lies and some half-baked stories (no pun intended). She may even interrupt her own train of thought in conversation to attempt stroking your ego a bit just to lead you back to your quiet corner and then dare you to speak up about it. To be honest, I think that's a very spicy quality of Mary's, no doubt.

While it's very possible to "rant about happiness" with Worlda, unlike other instances, the negative points that stick out, STICK OUT. They blare and pulsate: it's like seeing a head shot of model with a giant boil on her face and a bogie hanging from her nose. Once you notice it, you can't ignore it, and it becomes a detail you'd be doing others a misdeed to neglect.

For example, it's difficult for me to say that I got the opportunity to teach at different grade levels without mentioning that before even arriving to the school, I was told basically to be a dancing monkey for the students and not to implement rules or enforce classroom routines. Or that I was nearly late arriving to the schools the first day waiting on my supervisor to show up at the metro station. Or that while I taught there, I was subject to the politics of the company - being told to lie about my past experiences and nationality, etc. See what I mean? One positive is easily shadowed by the not-so-positive realities behind it.

I could say Worlda, for the most part, paid me on time, but they're SUPPOSED to pay you on time! If the only happiness a FT can find is in ANY company's already established obligations to the people they hire, that company has some integrity issues to iron out. If that's happiness, it's calculated happiness. Just saying.

It will forever bother me that all these years of Worlda standing that other FTs haven't been encouraged to "rant about happiness." Why is that? You'd think that if Worlda didn't just get lucky one year, that Mary thought of a crafty idea to cod the teachers into writing the reviews and then had them posted online - like an email a few FTs from Worlda received that was basically those online reviews but in survey form. Clever, I say. Just genius.

While Dan did a fine job of clearing up the suspicions of other FTs who didn't work for Worlda and dispelling all the hearsay therein, meanwhile there are teachers yet working at Worlda who are subject to some if not all of the six points mentioned above. More than likely, the company will assign Dan to distract defensive FTs from Worlda's outstanding balance of negativity that they may only "rant about happiness" - a plan that reeks of subterfuge if you ask me. However, Dan feels he's up to the challenge, so I look forward to a good report.

Messages In This Thread
Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- Dan -- 2013-06-07
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- Editor -- 2016-05-30
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- John O'Shei -- 2016-05-31
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- GuangzhouWorldaScam -- 2016-05-31
Re Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- Real R.Fakes -- 2016-05-27
Re Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- Caring -- 2016-05-27
Re Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- paul fox -- 2016-05-27
Re Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- GuangzhouWorldaScam -- 2016-05-27
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- MP -- 2013-07-12
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- John O'Shei -- 2013-07-13
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- Jerry L'épeire -- 2013-07-13
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- Beelzebub -- 2013-07-13
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- Jerry L'épeire -- 2013-07-14
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- Beelzebub -- 2013-07-14
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- John O'Shei -- 2013-07-14
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- Beelzebub -- 2013-07-14
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- Mixed box -- 2014-04-27
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- Mixed box -- 2014-04-27
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- Jerry L'épeire -- 2013-07-09
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- MP -- 2013-07-12
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- John O'Shei -- 2013-07-09
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- Jerry L'épeire -- 2013-07-11
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- John O'Shei -- 2013-07-11
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- Jerry L'épeire -- 2013-07-12
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- John O'Shei -- 2013-07-13
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- Jerry L'épeire -- 2013-07-13
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- Peter -- 2013-07-05
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- John O'Shei -- 2013-07-05
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- Chris -- 2013-07-04
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- John O'Shei -- 2013-07-05
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- Jim -- 2013-07-05
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- John O'Shei -- 2013-07-06
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- Dragonized -- 2013-06-08
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- Dan -- 2013-06-12
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- John O'Shei -- 2013-06-07
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- MikeK -- 2013-06-07
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- John O'Shei -- 2013-06-08
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- MikeK -- 2013-06-08
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- Dragonized -- 2013-06-09
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- John O'Shei -- 2013-06-09
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- John O'Shei -- 2013-06-08
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- Collyhurst retired sewer worker -- 2013-06-07
Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD -- John O'Shei -- 2013-06-07
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Guangzhou Worlda Cultural & Educational Consulting Services CO.LTD

Go to another board -