TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: How much do you really know?
Dragonized - 2013-07-14
In response to Re: Beelzebub Says-Why are Chinese Americans unhappy? (fromthebeginning)

Actually, it would be great if someone like you were to go hang out in a peaceful Chinese village somewhere.

You don't actually know a lot of what goes on IMO. There was the recent news of concerns with the increases of underage pregnancy in this country being discussed. I found a snippet of one of these stories:

http://news.sohu.com/20130710/n381227943.shtml

It's all in Chinese, but apparently the main issue at hand was a 12 year old girl who gave birth to a child who's father may or may not have been either one of the local teachers or a 70+ year old distant relative. Family problems of abuse, neglect, and even serious issues such as incest are apparent, and often overlooked even in mainstream Chinese society. Now thankfully there seems to be enough people who actually realize that if you don't protect the weaker elements of your society, you are not really protecting anyone.

Man, you've been hangin' out in the wrong places. Nevertheless, I'm not surprised by your assessment, as you've been showing yourself for years to be just who you are. In a way that's admirable. In another way it's rather disgusting.

Do you actually know what all his personal experiences are like? What makes you think your "assessments" are so much the better?

And what about the 350 million or so Chinese who are living all over the world?

The number you give is inaccurate, it is actually 35 million. Of course, none of us can say that ALL of them individually are necessarily cruel people. But taken into the type of family environment that they were raised in and couple that with the general ignorance of how human nature works due to that type of raising and you have people who are honestly worse than [edited]. While they may not engage in the types of "sensational" criminal behavior that the media will report on keep in mind that since there are so many that the cumulative behavior of this group of people will end up bringing more negatives to whichever society that they are in than positives, on many levels. For example, Chinese folks who have immigrated will camp out at restaurants all day to scrunge an extra meal free of charge. Chinese students have been known in the past to steal and hoard paper and pens in the thousands from Faculty Offices for no other reason than to obtain the satisfaction of having taken things without anyone noticing. Personally I knew of a Chinese American woman making a six figure salary (and who was married at the time to a Lawyer who made even more money) who was too cheap to buy children's books for her own kids and borrowed these things from other parents so that she can photocopy them at her company's office. It is well known within "overseas chinese" communities that many ethnically Chinese folks will buy clothes and keep the price tags on them so that they can be returned within the given period of days. The childish, lack of common sense behavior of so many of this group of people leads you to think of why would the deplorable lack of education be allowed in the first place for these people.

From my own experience, expats who say they "like", "love", or "support" Chinese people actually do not. They would rather wallow in their own ignorance as well as ignorant ways on how Chinese people really think and "appreciate" both types of ignorance as "culture" as seen by themselves. Kind of insulting, isn't it? I think for some expats who become Sinophiles it is as much the temptation of knowing you are within a group who is less knowledgeable than you that brings about a certain satisfaction and appreciation for themselves. This can be addictive, especially for the expats who were not the winners of life back home.

If you could handle the hardships, you'd learn a lot about the true nature of many Chinese people. Couldn't imagine you or those of the same mindset to do such a thing, though.

So where have you lived in China and what "hardships" have you handled? Do Chinese people who live in urban areas (and there are so many being added by the day as I type this); are they somehow exempt from being evaluated? We are talking about a country where most of the people still remember living as farmers from their parents' generation. How do you know those of a "same mindset" didn't come from the former ideal/romanticist point of view that you yourself sound like you're speaking from?

"Extremely cruel and uncaring...." Harsh words, from the oft confused silverboy.

Your own confusion from what you know vs what you don't know is apparent. Do you separate the cruel/uncaring from the compassionate/caring regarding Chinese culture in your post? Obviously not. You put out even more subjective opinion than the poster whom you are disagreeing with. From your post I would say you've always had Chinese people at arms length(or they you), with one or two intimate/embedded relationships. Certainly, the idea of being friends and being close is very different regarding the people whom you are talking about vs the background where you come from (the west I assume?). You have not come around to realizing that.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Beelzebub Says-Why are Chinese Americans unhappy? -- fromthebeginning -- 2013-07-13
Re: How much do you really know? -- Dragonized -- 2013-07-14
Re: How much do you really know? -- Beelzebub -- 2013-07-14
Re: How much do you really know? -- Dragonized -- 2013-07-14
Re: How much do you really know? -- Beelzebub -- 2013-07-15
Re: How much do you really know? -- Dragonized -- 2013-07-17
Re: How much do you really know? -- Beelzebub -- 2013-07-17
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: How much do you really know?

Go to another board -