TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Stay away from SHANE school in Dongying, Shandong Province
San Migs - 2013-07-20

I am little pressed for time, but I agree with your post so thought I'd like to quickly respond if I may.

While there is a huge drinking culture in China (anyone who has been to one of those baijiu round table dinners or a ktv room knows what goes on!), it is mostly based around eating dinner or BBQ,dice games and so on. I am not saying that there is not violence associated with it, I personally many many years back saw a drunken chinese guy in a fit, plough his small truck/minivan into a nice flash silver car driven by another chinese guy and his wife, damaging the side body with huge scratch marks, all the while trying to fight with me and a malaysian chinese friend because we refused to drink with him as he was getting to aggressive and persistent that we drink with him. After smashing into the poor chinese guys car, my friend called me to tell him that he tried to run him over later, such was his inebriation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2370625/Drunken-Brits-angry-Muslims-Med-resort-thats-frontline-culture-war.html

Then Brits themselves do have a bad reputation overseas, even in the more liberal muslim places like Dubai that allow booze licences, and hotels that have pubs. One only has to compare how the Spanish drink, no puking or fighting everywhere or urinating in the street, I saw a spanish post wedding party outside at a bar in summer everyone was dancing, not off their face drunk, and all went home happy and smiling. Granted Spain has the highest beer consumption in the EU if I do recall correctly, and certainly much more than China, yet even with that nowhere near the amount of drunken violence brits cause at home. I also wonder how much the Brits going on their annual easyjet summer binges contribute to the total of Spain's consumption, the following list is indicative reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_beer_consumption_per_capita

Sadly, too many westerners take carte blanche of the 24 hour drinking culture. I am currently in Shanghai where there are familymart convenience stores open 24 hours, all selling beer. Personally I like being able to get a beer whenever I want. I think the UK is too PC and too many rules. However, I do not agree it gives individuals like your ex dos boss carte blance to behave like a grade A arsehole with no respect for others. Sadly seems a lot of people seem to lose all former sense of self and humanity once they arrive and stay here.

Good luck.
SMGS

View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Stay away from SHANE school in Dongying, Shandong Province

Go to another board -