TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: QQ on Linux
John O'Shei - 2013-07-30

Actually, there are advantages to Linux. It is harder to learn how to use, but there are many variants for different purposes.

I am a big fan of the idea of putting puppy linux on older machines to give them a new lease of life. If you do need to donate a machine to the needy, this is a good way to go about it. For example, in my home town there are actually kids whose smackhead parents can't afford a computer, it makes sense to give the kids something that the parents can't sell off for skag. Sure, they can't do the hi-tech stuff and play the latest games on it, but will still be able to type up homework, browse the web and stuff like that. My mother has donated a few old computers in the past for such reasons, although she isn't clued up on linux and stuff.

I've also got an Android HDMI stick computer (Android is essentially linux really). It is actually a great little toy and turns any newish TV into a desktop computer in a sense, if you only require it to do the basics.

My favourite use of linux however, is the boot disks, they are always handy if your windows os has issues and you need to rescue some files.

The only reason I really use windows now is to use Ableton and Traktor (software for music production/live performances/ DJing). Maybe because I'm too poor to afford a mac, who knows? Although Windows kind of got its act together with Windows 7, I would suggest that people actually go down the dual boot route, so that they can have the best of both worlds.

As for Microsoft Office, why pay hundreds, when openoffice arguably does a better job for free?

Messages In This Thread
Re: QQ on Linux -- John O'Shei -- 2013-07-30
Re: QQ on Linux -- San Migs -- 2013-07-30
Re: QQ on Linux -- John O'Shei -- 2013-07-30
Re: QQ on Linux -- Dragonized -- 2013-07-30
Re: QQ on Linux -- San Migs -- 2013-07-30
Re: QQ on Linux -- Beelzebub -- 2013-07-30
Re: QQ on Linux -- Dragonized -- 2013-07-30
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: QQ on Linux

Go to another board -