TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Right on the money - ESL discussion
SiamSap - 2005-07-28
In response to Some more advice - ESL discussion (BD)

BD, you're right on the money. I've had the posers in all my classes, sure. I've also seen the students who really want to learn English. However, there is a THIRD group I've been pulling my hair out over since I started teaching--the 'fence dwellers'.

You know the students I'm talking about.....those who are in the 'slackers today/serious tomorrow' group. Most of my students were in this group. I concentrated on them the most because they had to most to gain. If they gave up the slack, they learned. If they learned, at least some usually wanted to come back for more, so the cycle's period became longer for them. Others simply withdrew farther into the dark reaches of slackness the more I pressed them to perform.

Unfortunately, my contract term ended and my time with these students came to an end. If I had more time with them, I'd press the slackers even harder to shake out the remaining 'closet scholars'.

I think they'd been worth it.

NEVER give up on students.

Messages In This Thread
Others: TEFL/TESL vs TESOL - ESL discussion -- Sara -- 2005-07-20
Some advice on getting a cert - ESL discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2005-07-22
I, too, should have gotten a fake certificate first - ESL discussion -- SiamSap -- 2005-07-27
Some more advice - ESL discussion -- BD -- 2005-07-27
Who's the slacker? - ESL discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2005-07-29
Right on the money - ESL discussion -- SiamSap -- 2005-07-28
One more question - ESL discussion -- Sara -- 2005-07-21
Certificate or no certificate, that is the question - ESL discussion -- BD -- 2005-07-21
Same stuff - ESL discussion -- BD -- 2005-07-20
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Right on the money - ESL discussion

Go to another board -