TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Great site, but..... - Teachers discussion
Rheno - 2005-09-02

Peter, I, along with my fellow white faces here, have found something else to howl over (besides our Thai students' atrocious attempts at writing), thanks to you and your website. My hat's off to you. I hope the 'Maze' portion of the site is completed soon.

I'd like to say this, though--the website seems to paint an unfavorable image of farang (foreign) teachers. After exploring the 'Droid' website, no doubt folks outside of TEFL will think TESOL grunts are nothing but the West's flotsam. What I've seen suggests otherwise. The only time I've encountered 'misfits' in Thailand has been when I've gone to immigration every three months. I've seen folks there wearing faces that would scare small children, but nowhere else have I encountered a so-called 'misfit'. I can honestly say MY overall impression of ESL teachers has been quite good. I have an ex-bank manager, an ex-preacher, and an ex-engineer as colleagues here at my make-believe college. They all teach wonderfully, and all have been successful back in the states. These guys and gals are definitely not 'cast-offs'. I can say the same for other ESL folks I've met in Thailand. Recruiters and DOSes have been nothing but the best people you'd ever want to meet, in spite of all the horror stories and my own personal posts.

The true problem here is Thailand itself. Incompetent government officials and school administrators, as well as piss-poor students are what REALLY make Thailand a place to avoid. If you want to come to Thailand as a tourist, I say COME ON! Thailand is great. If you want to work as an ESL teacher, forget it.

Messages In This Thread
This one is for you, Rheno - Teachers discussion *Link* -- Peter -- 2005-09-01
Great site, but..... - Teachers discussion -- Rheno -- 2005-09-02
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Great site, but..... - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -