TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: missionaries on campus
John O'Shei - 2014-02-16
In response to missionaries on campus (martin)

It has become very prevalent, I hear, even at my university it is a problem I think. It is not just the missionaries of a radical religious nature, but also any other do-gooder volunteers such as the UN Peace Corps people. They all tend to have different motives whether it be spreading radical religious shit, or jumped up young Americans that are told by their organisation that they are future leaders or something.

In the case of Peace Corps it is usually the case that they really they aren't of benefit to anybody. They are merely on a two year dicking around abroad program, pampering their resume in order to get preferential treatment for state jobs and scholarships. One Peace Corps guy of a more rebellious nature (hates it and wants to get out) has even told my friend as such. He says that Peace Corps are sending numerous guys to places where they simply are not needed, to areas that aren't the slightest bit impoverished, essentially wasting U.S taxpayers money at the end of the day.

In the case of religious radical types, their infiltration into the system is incredible in the most awful of ways. This article (http://shanghaiist.com/2010/09/02/yunnan_education_bureau_set_to_coop.php) talks about the fact that the Educational Bureau of Yunnan province has recently instructed schools and universities to:

"teach students to abstain from premarital sex and to ‘cherish their chastity’. The program; ‘No Apologies’ ( 悔今生) is the ‘love child’ of an American conservative Christian organization - Focus on the Family (FOTF), whose main goal is "nurturing and defending the God-ordained institution of the family and promoting biblical truths worldwide”.

There have also been reports of mormon missionaries effectively knocking down average salaries for foreign teachers at universities in certain cities, as these missionaries will aggressively undercut anybody to solidify their position at an university, in order to allow them to carry out their dirty work.

Either way regardless of whatever crap they are teaching, what it boils down to as Turnoi just said, is cheap or even free labour for Chinese universities.

Free labour that allows the administration to sign them off as full-time teachers and allow some corrupt arsehole to pocket their pay-cheque through a nice bit of fiddling in the office.

I do not mean to slate all volunteer teachers, but if you are going to volunteer to teach in China, go somewhere that probably needs it, like Qinghai, Ningxia etc... Try to really help people in genuine need, don't just contribute to a corrupt official's Audi/real estate fund or something.

In fact, there are several other countries in far greater need, what about considering those instead?

Messages In This Thread
missionaries on campus -- martin -- 2014-02-16
Re: missionaries on campus -- John O'Shei -- 2014-02-16
Re: missionaries on campus -- ZhengtallyHo -- 2014-02-17
Re: missionaries on campus -- Gobanga Luga -- 2014-02-20
Re: missionaries on campus -- John O'Shei -- 2014-02-17
Re: missionaries on campus -- Dragonized -- 2014-02-16
Re: missionaries on campus -- John O'Shei -- 2014-02-16
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: missionaries on campus

Go to another board -