TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: WW wants to open up an "alternative ESL TB"
John O'Shei - 2014-03-04

"ESL sites should not be used for propaganda purposes, or to blow the trumpet and toot the horn for Chinese people and their "culture". It is also not for defending the "dignity" and "honour" ( such bullshit ) hehe, of Chinese women
So any GW, take your wumao China loving crap somewhere else! "
I find your post quite incredible. If only we would all stick to ESL matters that affect teachers, maybe the Forum might be a better place. But I feel it would be rather boring.

I may have misunderstood the meaning of "discussion" but I understand it to mean that there will be a range of opinions on a topic. These topics are then "discussed" in a polite and rational way where the aim is to tease out the detail and arrive at a conclusion. If our conclusions are already formed then what is the point of entering into a discussion?

Secondly, I also feel that the Forum or School Reviews, because that's what many people here are referring to, should aim to be inclusive. If someone posts a positive review and you don't agree than marshall your own evidence and challenge that person. If you discover something that would benefit other teachers or expats then write about it here.

"Propaganda" is a much misued word. It generally has a political or ideological connotation, when we should be using the word "promotion" or "promoting".

China, and some Chinese irritate me at times and some Chinese get the sharp edge of my tongue if they are discorteous, rude or plain ignorant, but I think it's unhealthy to have a pathological hatred of another ethnic group or country.

I have chosen to live in China for better or worse, richer or poorer, and deal with the challenges everyday of a society that is full of contradictions. Your choice is different, and I respect that it is your choice.

Well, some of us have previous experience in marketing and know what an advertisement looks like.

Most of us definitely have experience in teaching in China and certainly know what Chinglish looks like!

That's how most bullshit reviews are instantly identified.

Messages In This Thread
Re: WW wants to open up an "alternative ESL TB" -- John O'Shei -- 2014-03-04
Re: WW wants to open up an "alternative ESL TB" -- BeenThere -- 2014-03-04
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: WW wants to open up an "alternative ESL TB"

Go to another board -