TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Who is at fault? Why can't the selfie generation find jobs?
MoreQualifiedThanYou - 2014-04-10

It's getting senseless with the generational categories and attempts to define them so let's do the basics here:

To be a 'Baby Boomer' we want to think of children born Post-WW2. After WW2 all the men returned home, peace ensued, and... well suddenly around 1945 a lot of couples were having babies (and maybe playing 'catch-up' too).

There is a cultural sense too. 'Boom Babies' weren't just the big generation born to the WW2 folks but we think of 'Boomers' as the 'Hippy Generation'.
This would be those who were young adults during a significant cultural revolution in the mid to late 60s and let's say to about 1973.
Baby Boomers were those college kids.

My Dad would be a classic 'Baby Boomer'. WW2 ended and Grandpas service in the army was done and the new family got underway. My Dad is born in 1950.
My Dad was college age in the classic 'Summer of 69' at the height of the 'hippy culture'

So understand that my father is now turning 65 next year. Retiring.

Children of classic 'Baby Boomers' had children in their 20s.
Their children are now 40 and 45 years old.

Were they 'Generation X'.
NO!
The children of Baby Boomers were NOT dubbed 'Generation X'.
Generation X was a term (and a kind of complaint) popularized by Douglas Copeland to describe the 'little brothers' and the younger cousins of the Baby Boomers.

Example of a typical Generation Xer would be my uncle who, although born to a WW2 couple came later in their life in 1959

So 'Generation X' wasn't part of the 'Hippy Culture'. They were kids. 8 year olds.
10 year olds.

They were not the 'next generation' really. They weren't the 'big baby boomers' either.
Hence 'X'
Generic
No-Name Brand
'Unnamed'.

The children of Baby Boomers didn't even get a name for their generation.
We weren't called anything.

Someone started calling those born in around the mid-90s 'Generation Y' and these terms were usually made up by Baby Boomers who don't give a damn about any other generation anyways.

Now 'Millenials'.

Are you saying this is what? They are NOT the 'children of Baby Boomers' because most Baby Boomers are now 65 years old.

There is not anything for todays 20 year olds (who would be the GRANDCHILDREN OF BABY BOOMERS).
Baby Boomers ate it all.

In fact, the GREAT GRANDCHILDREN OF BABY BOOMERS ARE NOW BEING BORN

Messages In This Thread
Who is at fault? -- psf -- 2014-04-07
Re Who is at fault? -- saying -- 2014-04-14
Re Who is at fault? -- mingin -- 2014-04-10
Re Who is at fault? -- Huckleberry Finn -- 2014-04-10
Re Who is at fault? -- Lucky Strike Larry -- 2014-04-10
Re: Who is at fault? Why Do 1.4 Million Americans Work At Walmart, With Many More Trying To? -- ciu -- 2014-04-08
Re: Who is at fault? Why Do 1.4 Million Americans Work At Walmart, With Many More Trying To? -- juanisaac -- 2014-04-15
Re: Who is at fault? Why Do 1.4 Million Americans Work At Walmart, With Many More Trying To? -- Been there -- 2014-04-15
Re Who is at fault? Why can't the selfie generation find jobs? -- ciu -- 2014-04-08
Re Who is at fault? Why can't the selfie generation find jobs? -- MoreQualifiedThanYou -- 2014-04-10
Re Who is at fault? Why can't the selfie generation find jobs? -- Lucky Strike Larry -- 2014-04-10
All generations are a ME generation -- kan -- 2014-04-10
Re Who is at fault? *NM* -- ciu -- 2014-04-07
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Who is at fault? Why can't the selfie generation find jobs?

Go to another board -