TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › I, for one, am sick to hell of bias in the ESL marketplace! - Teachers discussion
The Arrogant One - 2006-03-01

I realize I've many times addressed the issue of age
discrimination in ESL ... but criminy, folks, after all this time, it seems strange to still have to face such ridiculous bias in a field which, by virtue of its boundless international involvement, should represent itself as a cornerstone of equality and fairness. As it strikes a personal chord for all of us active teachers over 50, I believe it warrants much closer examination and subsequent change.

I just love it when, in a telephone interview, after having rendered a detailed outline of my many years in the ESL biz, I am robotically requested to send a rsum with a promise that I'll be contacted in the very near future. Of course, I realize that I've had far too many years of experience--a entity which puts the damper on any real chances for me from the start. A mere inspection of the teaching staffs of the larger ESL facilities in any reasonable-sized city will automatically confirm this. Yes, I realize there still may be some of us old timers actively employed , albeit I'm certain the employers of such personnel patiently await the opportunity to replace them with a more contemporary appearance and outlook. And, what about the students, themselves? Do they really interface with older teachers? Not as much as that which was once the case, I fear. Forget about one's respect for his elders...now it's a case of being entertained in the classroom by more up-to-date instructors who know the popular jargon that gets reactions and demands attention from the kids. ME--I'm a product of the '50s and '60s, while my approach--however revolutionary it may have been considered 40-50 years back--is something which now invokes stares instead of laughs! When I try to be funny by miming "I wanna be Bobby's girl" or "You ain't nuthin' but a hound dog," I am regarded as being something from another planet, let alone an earlier decade! TRY to teach grammar with those odds! Now, many school owners might regard such limitations as an impediment to their idea of student-teacher homogeneity ... and, in a way, I can understand the argument. But, while attempting to teach our language, we should also approach the subject of our culture, including the honoring of one's elders. It is therefore up to the owner/operator of a school to demonstrate this by representing BOTH generations equally on his professional staff. After all, those of us seniors who still have our wits about us can and do make a significance difference in the balance of any school program.

C'mon, guys ... let's have a little consideration, huh?

The Arrogant One

Messages In This Thread
I, for one, am sick to hell of bias in the ESL marketplace! - Teachers discussion -- The Arrogant One -- 2006-03-01
less is more - Teachers discussion -- Aging Also -- 2006-04-20
RE: Aging in ESL - Teachers Discussion -- The Arrogant One -- 2006-05-11
The Arrogant One - Teachers Discussion -- Mingong -- 2007-03-30
Aging Teachers - Teachers Discussion -- Bob the middle aged lonere -- 2006-05-04
DR. YANNI & MR. GERARD - Teachers discussion -- The Arrogant One -- 2006-03-04
Bias in the ESL Marketplace - Teachers discussion -- Dr. Yanni Zack- ESL Teaching Tips and Strategies -- 2006-03-03
...be brave; face your age! - Teachers discussion -- Gerard Callahan -- 2006-03-03
Unfortunately.... - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-03-04
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › I, for one, am sick to hell of bias in the ESL marketplace! - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -