TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re On Learning Styles and other issues
Beth - 2014-10-15

My point is that if you have to rely on PPT's and audio tracks in a class, and textbooks, you are not a real experienced teacher
I think the key word here is rely and what you would then class as reliance.

If you cannot explain/teach a grammar point without the use of an autocue style ppt, in.my opinion you shouldn't be teaching it in the first place! However, I think a 'real, experienced teacher' also knows the benefits that technology can bring to a lesson and balances it accordingly. A good, balanced lesson should always give the learners opportunities to acquire new language and use it in speaking, listening and a reading or writing task (depending on the length of class, it's not always possible to include beneficial reading and writing tasks).

I'm not sure that it has to be one or the other, I believe it should be a mix of both. DOGME style communicative classes have major benefits, but using that style all of the time and neglecting more visual learning methods would be equally as detrimental to your students as the reverse.

I wouldn't class PPTs and audio tracks in the same bracket. One is a teaching tool that certainly helps visual learners, the other is an important and necessary component to a well-balanced education. I try to include a listening activity with most classes, at the very least in one of their two lessons per week.

Messages In This Thread
Re On Learning Styles and other issues -- SGL -- 2014-10-14
Re On Learning Styles and other issues -- Beth -- 2014-10-15
Re On Learning Styles and other issues -- yu2fa3 -- 2014-10-14
Re On Learning Styles and other issues -- Beth -- 2014-10-14
Re On Learning Styles and other issues -- SGL -- 2014-10-15
Re On Learning Styles and other issues -- Beth -- 2014-10-15
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re On Learning Styles and other issues

Go to another board -