TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Does shyness make being a teacher difficult?
Beth - 2014-11-26

Hi Paula,

If shyness is crippling to you, you may struggle with teaching! For the most part, the students' attention will be focused on you and you have to have an air of authority otherwise making a class of kids of any nationality follow your instructions will be an uphill struggle!

It depends on the age of the kids you teach; younger students (under 12) may not effect you the same way teens or adults will.

All that said, it would be helpful to know what you graduated in and if you have any intention of sitting a decent teaching certification, such as the CELTA. And also if teaching is something you are planning to do in the long run? I'm not an advocate of people who finish uni and take a year off by using teaching to fund their travels, I'm afraid.

If your reason for teaching is because you want to live abroad for a year, there are many charity organizations that can provide you with places or projects to work on that allow you to travel and help communities, but without the responsibility that a teacher has to deliver education to their students.

With more information about yourself I can advise further :)

Messages In This Thread
Does shyness make being a teacher difficult? -- Pauldeane -- 2014-11-26
Re Does shyness make being a teacher difficult? -- Bella -- 2014-11-28
Re Does shyness make being a teacher difficult? -- brechtian -- 2014-11-27
Re Does shyness make being a teacher difficult? -- yu2fa3 -- 2014-11-26
Re Does shyness make being a teacher difficult? -- brechtian -- 2014-11-28
Re Does shyness make being a teacher difficult? -- Beth -- 2014-11-26
Re Does shyness make being a teacher difficult? -- brechtian -- 2014-11-27
Re Does shyness make being a teacher difficult? -- Beth -- 2014-11-27
Re Does shyness make being a teacher difficult? -- brechtian -- 2014-11-28
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Does shyness make being a teacher difficult?

Go to another board -