TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Best and worse jobs
Curious - 2014-11-30
In response to Re: Best and worse jobs (Fifi)

I don't know about you, but my house is full with inexpensive objects made in China. I wear clothes made in China because they are inexpensive. They are inexpensive because the factory workers who make them are paid very little, work long hours six days a week, sleep in bad accommodation (eg: 12 to 18 people sleeping in bunk beds in the same room). So, men who use prostitutes in China do take advantage of women who have no choice (or not much choice). But most of us buy stuff that is manufactured in conditions that are as bad as prostitution. We all take advantage of the workers' low paid, often dangerous and miserable lives. These workers are already at the bottom of the pecking order; there is nowhere else to go: They work in factories or they do not eat. They don't have much more choice than prostitutes. And we all use them.

A few examples from "The Disintegration of Rural China", NYT article of today (link below):

It is common for both parents to leave their small children at home in the village while they go to work in factories elsewhere. Some 60 million children suffer this fate; most are left in the care of their grandparents, but more than 3 percent — millions of children — are left to live on their own.

In many cases, men go to jobs in the cities while their wives stay behind with the children in the village. They get to see each other only a few days a year. Distance, emotional stress and financial frustration tear families apart.

Messages In This Thread
Best and worse jobs -- NRC -- 2014-11-30
Re: Best and worse jobs -- Fifi -- 2014-11-30
Re: Best and worse jobs -- Curious -- 2014-11-30
Re: Best and worse jobs -- yu2fa3 -- 2014-11-30
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Best and worse jobs

Go to another board -