TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Sludge - 2014-11-30

If they were "trash" in the eyes of the despotic rulers, it does not mean they really were. Those banned to Siberia included many decent, courageous and educated people. I myself was imprisoned in Soviet times for my political convictions in Estonia, and I would not consider myself "trash". While being fallible and imperfect like every other human being, I still believe I was able to make some good small contributions to human society and my own social environment as every decent person did by hard and honest work. In the end, everything is relative.

that is why I placed "scum" in quotes, it is all relative. Yes, many intellectuals, poets, teachers and free thinkers were exiled in Siberia. However the conditions of the USSR and Siberia in what is now Eastern Russia, were of course different from the PRC. There are a great many gangsters and frauds in that area, I know from what I heard from one person who got cheated there and fled to safety. It is not an area to be too nice to people, but instead to be cautious and not too trusting and watch your back.I have been there myself.

Have a good sunday.

Messages In This Thread
Re Vietnam -- Sludge -- 2014-11-30

Go to another board -