TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Pre-print version of my book
yu2fa3 - 2014-12-04
In response to Re Pre-print version of my book (Sludge)

Absolutely right. I would always teach things about british culture and british food through ppts and other examples. It is not just language you are teaching, but that of a different culture. And given that many chinese students will go on to study in the UK, getting a cultural background from a UK native english speaker is invaluable I would say.Just as learning mandarin from a native speaking resident of China would be a big plus to any UK businessman or prospective FT going to China.

The BBC does some quite good stuff which you can incorporate in lesson plans, don't you think? That does take in some British culture which doesn't get in the way of actually learning how to speak the language. Mr bean is loaded with culture when you think about it- you even learn about British food like Twiglets hahaha!? I agree with what you say. If you do get intimate with culture, it is far more interesting to the students if you are part of that culture, inasmuch as you're part of the Anglo-Saxon English speaking world. Americans can also talk about British culture if they want because we all know about each other, since we speak the same language. In fact I have taught American English (pardon the oxymoron) because I had to and had no problems. The big problem can be in a conversational class is where the student has to ask FT Boris Schmitrenhauser what they (meaning the British) do and don't do after they've finished their fish&chips..not very exciting for the students, if you get my drift? Boris has to say, well, they... belch, go home, and have a late night fry-up, eggs&bacon. Best if the teacher can say WE.

Messages In This Thread
Re Pre-print version of my book -- Sludge -- 2014-12-04
Re Pre-print version of my book -- yu2fa3 -- 2014-12-04
Re Pre-print version of my book -- Sludge -- 2014-12-05
Re Pre-print version of my book -- Beth -- 2014-12-05
Re Pre-print version of my book -- Sludge -- 2014-12-06
Re Pre-print version of my book -- Beth -- 2014-12-06
Re Pre-print version of my book -- Sludge -- 2014-12-07
Re Pre-print version of my book -- Beth -- 2014-12-07
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Pre-print version of my book

Go to another board -