TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Beth - 2014-12-09
In response to Re TPR (Sludge)

This term you have coined, "tourist teacher", I honestly do not believe there is such a thing. If someone is a peado or sexpat, they certainly would not need to teach english to do so. If you are rich, a printed business card, travel intinerary and visa fee will get you a business visa for 6 or 12 months in China in Hong Kong, which gives you enough time to seek out whores/younger chinese girls, and no, that is not from experience, just stating some facts. I never molested or tried to have sex with my students, and yes, I prefer female students for the reasons they are simply more hard working.If they want to date me after they are my student, that is their choice, not yours. Whoever said TEFL was a VOCATION!!! A very strange thing to say......
Yes it is a term I have coined. It refers to those whose primary reason for teaching is to travel, to have an extended holiday not because they enjoy teaching or consider it anything more than a means to an end. This usually means their students come a very distant second to their social lives... meaning that they will happily go out on the p!ss the night before they are due to teach, without regard to how this will impact or impair their lesson.It means they would rather spend their free time chilling than developing their skills as a teacher. All this would be absolutely fine if it wasn't their students who suffer for it.

Do you know of and understand the rassias method?
Yes, it's speed learning. It is not helpful to long term fluency. Most learners doing an intensive week of learning a foreign language fail to retain anything useful in the long term unless they then continue to learn the language in a normal paced way.

Prove that statement, you cannot. And even so, what's wrong with teaching high school, all the same level, the same well planned lesson, for 16 periods a week?
You know I can't as it was conveniently lost during the supposed 'upgrade'. But we both know you said it and if you deny it we both know you're lying. 16 classes are not at the same level. I have taught in Chinese middle and high schools and although they are the same age, the ability varies dramatically. In which case 16 of the same lesson is not addressing the students learning needs. If you cared about them at all, those 16 classes would not be one lesson, they would be 16 classes tailored to suit the needs of the students in that particular class.

What's different? The lesson planning or the methodology involved, quite lost here.
The difference between tourist teachers and real teachers. You believe 1 lesson plan can cover 16 different lessons because you would rather spend the extra time planning each one would take down the pub. I would prefer to plan for each lesson so that the students in each class were getting the best lesson for their ability.

These training centres like to make up fancy acronyms like those you mentioned. Forward planning for easter? That is not necessary, even in the gulf states!!!! I think you like to make too much work for yourself methinks.
You think FCE and CAE are made up training centre terms?! Oh dear! no, they are the names of B2 and C1 level exams for C-ESOL, both of which are required certification for foriegn speakers entering English speaking universities (depending on the university and the course, they will request one of the two). Not to mention a requirement of a lot of employers these days whose employees will be dealing with international clients, English being the international business language, you see.

And yes, forward planning is important. If you were a real teacher you wouldn't suggest otherwise! You have a duty to your students, especially those sitting exams in June, to ensure you are covering what needs to be covered during the term and giving them ample exam preparation. To do this, you forward plan each term. You also do individual needs assessments. This is not creating more work for myself. It is simply my job.

Untrue on all claims. I prefer women over 30 so that puts "girls" out of the picture. I teach because I love teaching
Being slightly pedantic on the term 'girls'... But ok, females then. And considering you have bragged in the past of using your classes to get the phone numbers of the females in your classes so you can meet up at a later day for sex, I don't believe you when you claim it is untrue that it isn't the reason you teach in Asia. None of the posts, none of the opinions you have expressed on this board indicate that you love teaching. It indicates that you teach in order to remain in a country where you have access to cheap booze and females who are impressionable enough to be impressed with you simply because you aren't Asian!
Messages In This Thread
Re TPR -- Sludge -- 2014-12-07
Re TPR -- Beth -- 2014-12-07
Re TPR -- Sludge -- 2014-12-07
Re TPR -- AnotherEXEFDLteacher -- 2014-12-07
Re TPR -- Beth -- 2014-12-07
Re TPR -- Sludge -- 2014-12-09
Re TPR -- Beth -- 2014-12-09
Re TPR -- Sludge -- 2014-12-14
Re TPR -- Beth -- 2014-12-14
Re TPR -- Sludge -- 2014-12-15
Re TPR -- yu2fa3 -- 2014-12-09