TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re Any western man can find a girl like this in China
#1 Parent platinum paradise - 2015-01-12
Re Any western man can find a girl like this in China

In fact, I don't really know if he can read or write Chinese, but believe he can speak it. I'm more inclined to think he can read and write it than not. As for the Silverboy, I don't know what he thinks about the issue, maybe you should ask him about it. He said he was going to Vietnam a while back, I don't know, maybe he will reply later on.

#2 Parent Beth - 2015-01-11

No, he had no idea what he was on about and that was why he deleted his posts, because as soon as somebody with actual teaching knowledge turned up he was shown to not have much of a clue about anything. He claimed to teach advanced English but made grammatical and lexical mistakes an advanced teacher shouldn't. He claimed to have knowledge of the wider world of ESL but (like Silverboy) was shown to actually have incredibly limited scope of awareness of the ESL spectrum. This is why he asked for his posts to be deleted, as he had been shown to be undeserving of the authority he courted over the ESL domain.

Some highlights including insisting 'sexist' means to be sexually attractive. Insisting emphasis with inversion applied solely to phrases and not to individual word order, he believed the idiom was "to hit the nail on the hat" (one of many idiomatic expressions he got wrong). He knew nothing about international exam bodies such as IELTS or C-ESOL, or the international language scale the CEFR. He believed young learner teaching was simply kindergarten age, when in fact YL teaching starts after kindergarten and continues through to the age of 18. He rubbished internationally used and tested methods for language acquisition, despite never having taught the age groups concerned nor having experience of using said methodology himself. No, when it comes to actual teaching knowledge, Turnoi was incredibly lacking once you waded past the bluster and pontificating. Much the same as his tourist-teacher sycophants are, as to them (having even less teacher knowledge), Turnoi appeared to be the real deal. Those of us who are actually qualified to teach and have experience of teaching all-around language fluency know better and see straight through the facade.

And yes, Silverboy does ruffle feathers. But he does so with his appalling attitude towards women and Chinese people in general. A contradiction as he spends most of his life chasing or paying for the services of Chinese women. His lack of success in the area most likely accounts for the bitter diatribe we see so often. He may "stand up for what he believes" but his experience in the field of ESL teaching and his knowledge of the schools he denigrates is minimal. It's akin to me staunchly speaking out against the easter bunny. I've had an easter egg in the past, I've heard second, sometimes third, hand accounts of him and I think he's rubbish and should be shut down! Having conviction about a subject doesn't necessarily mean you're correct.

#3 Parent yu2fa3 - 2015-01-11

It is true that he deleted most of his posts on here ( I think ) I should have said I have read many of his posts in the past, I used to read this board several years back. I also was able to read replies to his posts. I think he seemed to know what he was on about. If some people did not like him, well, we like and dislike certain individuals during our lives. As for the Silverboy, seems he stands up for what he believes in, but has made a lot of people angry, a guy who knows how to "ruffle feathers" if you want to call it that.

You like being perverse ,SB. You don't believe he can read or write Chinese any more than I do.

#4 Parent Beth - 2015-01-10

I do teach in the west! Spain currently.

Although I'm considering a move back to the UK next academic year.

And thanks for the compliment :)

#5 Parent platinum paradise - 2015-01-10

It is true that he deleted most of his posts on here ( I think ) I should have said I have read many of his posts in the past, I used to read this board several years back. I also was able to read replies to his posts. I think he seemed to know what he was on about. If some people did not like him, well, we like and dislike certain individuals during our lives. As for the Silverboy, seems he stands up for what he believes in, but has made a lot of people angry, a guy who knows how to "ruffle feathers" if you want to call it that.

#6 Parent yu2fa3 - 2015-01-10

I have been reading through many old posts on here, and it seems that Turnoi really is very proficient in Chinese

How did you manage that? He had them deleted. The only way you could come to that conclusion is if you had read them prior to being deleted, which suggests you have been here a while or you are yet another Turnoi alias... (your use of the phrase "the Silverboy poster" would suggest the latter).

And the Silverboy poster seems to be on a crusade to rid Asia of rubbish schools, but many people seem to dislike him because of that.

His "crusade" is based on little to no information on the school he is claiming is rubbish. He refuses to accept any positive information as factual. It is not a,crusade, it's a witch hunt based on misinformation.

And I don't dislike him because if that... I dislike him because he is racist, misogynistic and knows very little about the wider world of ESL and teaching, but thinks a few years talking at students in a conversation class in Asia makes him an authority on the subject! He is not, which is why he prefers threads about putting down Chinese women, threads about the services offered by Vietnamese prostitutes, than he does about actual teaching practice and methodology. In real teaching discussions he has been shown time and again ti be completely out of his depth... Another reason his "crusade" is pointless; he doesn't know what real teaching is so how can he possibly comment on the educational practices of a school? Let alone one he has never set eyes on himself

I wish. I wish I could put it as well as you do for this type of post. Well said and you're spot on. Yes, I don't get into the ins and outs of ESL because I realise my limitations. CL is good too even though we don't agree much. But like yourself and not forgetting Foxy who used to grace these boards, the three of you are qualified teachers. That's to say could teach in the west if you all wanted.
#7 Parent yu2fa3 - 2015-01-10

I have been reading through many old posts on here, and it seems that Turnoi really is very proficient in Chinese. And the Silverboy poster seems to be on a crusade to rid Asia of rubbish schools, but many people seem to dislike him because of that.

I thought that when turnoi left the forum he took all his posts with him, but I could be mistaken as I never look at old posts. In fact I often miss current answers to my own posts because unless I can see them straight away I can't be bothered to search. Now as you went to such great lengths for reasons best know to yourself perhaps you'd like to point out some of these posts where Turnoi displays his Mandarin expertise?

Silverboy? Dislike? No I like him, he's funny- another fluent in Chinese FT hahaha!

#8 Parent Beth - 2015-01-10

I have been reading through many old posts on here, and it seems that Turnoi really is very proficient in Chinese
How did you manage that? He had them deleted. The only way you could come to that conclusion is if you had read them prior to being deleted, which suggests you have been here a while or you are yet another Turnoi alias... (your use of the phrase "the Silverboy poster" would suggest the latter).

And the Silverboy poster seems to be on a crusade to rid Asia of rubbish schools, but many people seem to dislike him because of that.

His "crusade" is based on little to no information on the school he is claiming is rubbish. He refuses to accept any positive information as factual. It is not a,crusade, it's a witch hunt based on misinformation.

And I don't dislike him because if that... I dislike him because he is racist, misogynistic and knows very little about the wider world of ESL and teaching, but thinks a few years talking at students in a conversation class in Asia makes him an authority on the subject! He is not, which is why he prefers threads about putting down Chinese women, threads about the services offered by Vietnamese prostitutes, than he does about actual teaching practice and methodology. In real teaching discussions he has been shown time and again ti be completely out of his depth... Another reason his "crusade" is pointless; he doesn't know what real teaching is so how can he possibly comment on the educational practices of a school? Let alone one he has never set eyes on himself?

#9 Parent platinum paradise - 2015-01-10

I have been reading through many old posts on here, and it seems that Turnoi really is very proficient in Chinese. And the Silverboy poster seems to be on a crusade to rid Asia of rubbish schools, but many people seem to dislike him because of that.

#10 Parent yu2fa3 - 2015-01-09

He's been posting here for years and has an obsession with proving Turnoi is not an expert in Chinese. To be fluent requires all 4 skills - productive and receptive and I don't have these. I believe Turnoi does possess these skills, but I've never met him or spoken to him in Chinese as was claimed by another poster.

I just cannot take you serious if you maintain that, unless he managed to get subliminal brainwashing into his posts and i am the only one they didnt work on hahaha!

Return to Index › Re Any western man can find a girl like this in China

Go to another board -