TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET
#1 Parent San Migs - 2015-01-17
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET

Very glad to hear that you are forward planning for the day when teaching ESL is no longer an option- apologies for lumping you in with those who don't plan in this way. I know you have done other jobs - it all adds to the life experiences that are valuable in teaching Asian students. Health insurance is a must in China but you need access to a decent hospital - HK is probably a better place to be treated.

I wouldn't say I am as well planned as you, but I am sure there are others like me in the PRC.The anecdote about the british guy I knew near Guangzhou is true.I also knew an elderly american like that.The only real way I could change it is return to the UK, but I have neither rented bricks nor mortar there. Getting a rental agreement is hard after being in China for so long---they demand references or some landlords might waive the references but insist on 6 months rent upfront, they won't do that to immigrants, lest they be accused of racism and have the full weight of social services on their backs. Figuratively speaking of course. I am presently in HK as I mentioned, but here it is expensive and competitive also. Nowhere is easy, factor in that over 40's cannot get mortgages and the UK is no longer easier. I know of an american with a PHD there...he cannot get a long term stay or british passport, so he does not even care about the pension, why worry of a UK pension if you aren't even allowed residency there, or are more or less homeless/stateless?

Thanks for the reply again, as I said I don't want us to get into baiting each other anymore, it is counterproductive and does nothing but raise blood pressure.

Enjoy the weekend,
SMGS

Return to Index › Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET

Go to another board -