TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › who's on first?
#1 Parent Beth - 2015-02-10
Re who's on first?

No real teacher would ever say it's "just" a teaching job.

All this proves is that you are no real teacher... And the opinion of a tourist-teacher is worth nothing.

#2 Parent Spector - 2015-02-10
Re who's on first?

it's just a teaching job in China for f..k sake!

Well thats right. Even labouring pays more than teaching in China does. It's not like it is a big deal if you lose a teaching job in China, especially given the stress and hassle involved to even get a effing visa for the place these days!!!!

#3 Parent : yu2fa3 - 2015-02-10
Re who's on first?

dont forget the adage, a galvanise a day keeps the dole queue away.

#4 Parent James Milken - 2015-02-10
Re who's on first?

I say who cares! Why would anybody care if a language mill in China goes bankrupt? I doubt the teachers will have to "galvanise" themselves in anyway, it's just a teaching job in China for f..k sake!

#5 Parent yu2fa3 - 2015-02-09
Re who's on first?

I have heard their training centre has gone bankrupt and left all the "teachers" unemployed.

Bankruptcy happens. Those teachers will have to get galvanised and find alternative employment.

Tell you what, now the cat's out of the bag (Your Amazon post) when will you post as Muhammed Wolfgang Schmidt? Just wondering on....like.

#6 Parent Punisher - 2015-02-09
Re who's on first?

I have heard their training centre has gone bankrupt and left all the "teachers" unemployed.

Why bother writing when you neither like the topic nor the poster?
#7 Parent Sharp - 2015-02-08
Re who's on first?

Western products with Chinese values ought to be expected? Criticizing teaching to the test only, when English language and/or our proficiency tests are on the table, is not for "a real, rational and objective discussion"? Why bother writing when you neither like the topic nor the poster? Perhaps you want the OP to "be in for a hard slog" on the forum. :)

#8 Parent Beth - 2015-02-07
Re who's on first?

Excellent point.

So long as the teaching is solid and the teachers are giving their best to the students, that really is all that matters.

#9 Parent yu2fa3 - 2015-02-07
Re who's on first?

Private schools exist for one purpose only - making profit....- unless they are run by non-profit organizations. Making profit and providi9ng high quality education are two things that do not match for two reasons:

1. High quality education is very costly, and if a school adheres to the standards, it cannot make profit anymore.
2. If a school is run as a business all decisions made by the management/CEO will be in favor of making/increasing the profit and certainly not in favor of merely educational concerns.

I don't know why FT's should cloud their minds with things not of(or should not be) their concern. As long as they pay you on time and you teach the kids as well as your abilities allow-well, that's it; it shouldn't matter what the management priorities really are. Having said that it's obvious you try and join the best place of learning you can; however, once you've signed the contract don't cloud your mind with performance inhibiting nonsense, just think about the job in hand. Don't moan your way through China. wo 3 dui4 ma 0

#10 Parent Beth - 2015-02-07
Re who's on first?

Ah, another Turnoi alias.

Regurgitating the same tired tripe still, I see?

Public education is not free, it is paid for by the taxpayers. Unless you work for free, which you don't, all your holier than though rhetoric is merely hypocrisy playing dress-up.

1) Most private schools do not make a lot of money. Most private schools funnel profits back in to the school. Most private schools are labours of love for their owners. Your experience with private schools is limited and biased rendering you incapable of looking at the wider world of ESL private schools. Bigger franchises may make more profit, but they also expect a high standard of teaching, which is why so many tourist teachers hate them so much.

2) If it is run "as a business" that business is education and as such the people who run these schools know that solid profits come from retaining your students year after year which means providing them with quality education. Therefore educational concerns are very much their way of thinking. You wouldn't know as you have limited experience of private schools, you simply tar them all with the same brush.

In conclusion, the problems with the ESL industry, specifically Asia, is that it is flooded with tourist teachers who don't know the first thing about real teaching and who think a few years talking at university students somehow makes them experts about the whole ESL field. It doesn't. Not by a long shot.

I shan't debate this with you any further as you aren't capable of unbiased, rational discussion. I shall leave you to your mistakes, misinformation and bitterness towards private schools.

Anyone with half a brain knows you and your sweeping generalisations aren't worth the time it takes to read your pontificating.

#11 Parent Somebody - 2015-02-07
Re who's on first?

Just looked on amazon.de.

Still no sign of the Gelben Kaiser book.

#12 Parent Lenna - 2015-02-07
Re who's on first?

Private schools exist for one purpose only - making profit....- unless they are run by non-profit organizations. Making profit and providi9ng high quality education are two things that do not match for two reasons:

1. High quality education is very costly, and if a school adheres to the standards, it cannot make profit anymore.
2. If a school is run as a business all decisions made by the management/CEO will be in favor of making/increasing the profit and certainly not in favor of merely educational concerns.

In conclusion, many of the structural problems that exist in the ESL industry are a result of the fact that running a business and making profit takes priority over educational concerns. For example, private training centers employing semi-literate and poorly educated 'teachers' without a relevant degree and poor teacher training helps them cutting expenses to a minimum level and pay them peanuts. If they were required to pay salaries to real academics and professionally trained teachers with at least a M. Ed., all these small businesses would soon go bankrupt as they would have to ask tuition fees that students with an average income hardly could afford.

Finally, there is one good reason why education should be publicly funded and why it should be free to all: If you "sell" education like a car, carrots or a property, a large group of people would be deprived of it because of the costs involved. Good education is so important these days as it helps overcome poverty and ignorance and as such is a key to balanced, peaceful society. It is a democratic and basic human right of people to have a decent education that fits individual people's talents and interests, and if they are deprived of educational opportunities because o the costs involved, it is not only pretty heartless but will also result in an elitist society that nobody really wants.

[edited]

Not all private schools are bad, nobody is apologising for the things that are wrong with the industry, we are aware there are problems at some schools and those problems should be addressed, however we are also sensible enough to know that it doesn't apply to all schools
#13 Parent Beth - 2015-02-07
Re who's on first?

Ah, and now we get to the crux of the matter; you don't want an actual discussion about the topic you posted, which is why you have failed to intelligently respond to my posts, you just want yet another thread in which to ridicule all private schools.

Bored now, "Martin". Your inability to discuss without the use of sweeping generalisations and bias is truly shameful.

Not all private schools are bad, nobody is apologising for the things that are wrong with the industry, we are aware there are problems at some schools and those problems should be addressed, however we are also sensible enough to know that it doesn't apply to all schools and that yes, a lot of friction between FTs and their Chinese employers comes about thanks to cultural differences or (more often) because the teacher is unsuitable to teach and the school doesn't want them there. Simply being a native English speakers does not make you suitable to teach a language as you lot seem to think it does.

If a school has a good team of real teachers and a good management system in place to buffer between east and west differences, then a school can be a productive and profitable place for all concerned. If it has a team of tourist-teachers, standards will drop, unscrupulous bosses will flog the dead horse until it drops and nobody benefits. It is a multi layered issue that cannot be answered across the board with another of your sweeping generalisations or more of your casual racism.

#14 Parent Beth - 2015-02-07
Re who's on first?

Whose values are compromised? If you are imposing western standards in a different country then of course you will be in for a hard slog. I don't go to a different country and expect everything done as it is in the UK... because I'm not in the UK any more!!

If posting this thread had been done in order to have a real, rational and objective discussion I might be inclined to agree with your last question. However it has been posted simply as yet another thread in which to mindlessly bash private education and drop in some casual racism in the process.

Boring.

#15 Parent Mogui - 2015-02-07
Re who's on first?

Even Chinese people are disgusted with the behaviour of some people who work in the education profession/industry, regardless of whether they are local or foreign. Not all Chinese people are nationalist fuckwits, who will even defend a steaming pile of horseshit if it says 'Made in China' on it.

#16 Parent martin hainan - 2015-02-07
Re who's on first?

Private schools and test-preparation centers in China are enormously profitable businesses. A significant percentage of these companies fail to engage in honest business practices with their foreign teachers. They have a difficult time recruiting and retaining their foreign staff.

Several contributors to this forum are apologists for the industry. I suspect that many of them are Chinese nationals that misrepresent themselves as foreign teachers in an attempt to whitewash (sic) their recruitment efforts.

#17 Parent Sharp - 2015-02-07
Re who's on first?

THE QUESTION is why do such posts as this one appear when this is the teachers' board and the topic for teachers. Don't we know well what the Chinese education stands for and how western products and values are compromised in the country? Or, don't we want to know on a public forum?

#18 Parent Somebody - 2015-02-06
Re who's on first?

My question is why does he care so much?

He doesn't even work in China.

Must have been hurt badly by a recruiter or training center. Still hurting...

Poor bast--d.

#19 Parent Beth - 2015-02-05
Re who's on first?

This is your THIRD thread asking this question,yet you have failed to intelligently respond to my replies.

You're just looking to troll. Bored now.

martin hainan - 2015-02-05
who's on first?

Student, parent, teacher, franchisee, stockholder. In corporate education, who profits most from the learning experience?

Return to Index › who's on first?

Go to another board -