TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Teaching in China - Teachers discussion
#1 Parent David - 2006-12-15
Right ! Avoid her ! - Teachers Discussion

She sent me a photo , tried to persuade me ....I didn't trust her .Fortunately , I didn't go to work for her .

#2 Parent cata - 2006-12-14
Beware of TS Foreign Language Training School (teresa_yang1983) - Teachers Discussion

I worked for TS Foreign Language School in Changchun, Jilin Province, China for 6 months and was never a good experience. They offer you all sorts of things, good accomodation, furnished apartment, lunch, etc, but they never tell you that its an apartment shared with at least 4 other people and only one bathroom, no kitchen, no living room, only a small sofa, a fridge and a microwave. They dock Money from your salary every month saying its to pay for utilities or in case you brake something but even if you rent your own place, which was my case, they still do it!!
I never met a teacher who was happy to be there, never heard a good comment about this company. From the minute I set foot into their office I felt that something wasnt right. They dragged me to the office straight from the airport and made me sign the contract right away and keep my passport saying that they needed to start processing my visa. Only after this, they took me to see my wonderful apartment room without tv, without a computer or even bed sheets. From then on, everything was a nightmare.

Every month I had to count my teaching hours really carefully and give them a call or send them an email reminding them that it was my payday. They tell you that you can teach the level you want but the truth is they send you everywhere and dont even pay for the taxi if its far away. I say this, because I know there are good companies where they do offer you this benefit. I had to pay for my own visa and never saw a receipt with a stamp saying how much it was, only their word. Once I rented my own place, they offered to pay for my utilities and deal directly with my landlord since he did not speak English and I speak very little Chinese, but it turned out they were overcharching me for things like electricity, internet access and water bills.

They also offer you a week training and free Chinese lessons, but you never get either of them. I tried to quit my company several times and they wouldnt accept my resignation. I met many teachers who were planning to leave in the middle of the night so as not to deal with this mafia that they have. If you manage to leave them, they threaten you saying that no matter where you go they will find out who hired you. What is that supposed to mean?

Please, if you have been contacted by this company DO NOT WORK for them. You get an email from someone called Teresa Yang, who is in fact, one of their teachers who gets money for every teacher he manages to get hired. She (he) offers you the world and then when you complain they tell you, if its not in your contract it doesnt count.
Do not trust any of the people who work there: Kiki, Maggie, Mrs Wong or Lucy.
There are many good schools around China, honest, professional, serious schools, who deliver what they promise. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

#3 Parent Raoul Duke LOOK! I BEEN TO COLLEGE! - 2006-04-30
No Worries! Well, at least not about this... - Teachers discussion

I only know a bit about this school. I taught Marketing and Management (LOOK! I BEEN TO COLLEGE!) at the Shanghai program from which it was cloned.

I can't tell you if the school is dodgy or not...although it most likely is in one way or another. In China just about ALL schools are dodgy in one way or another.

However, being asked to come over on your own dime is really pretty much standard. Usually one is at least partially compensated for the airfare later. The fact is that a pretty large percentage of the teachers who agree to come here never show up. If the schools sent out air tickets to other countries on the basis of a contract (which has little meaning in China anyway) then they'd all soon be bankrupt.

And it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys. ;-{)

So, don't worry, Jack. This is Standard Operating Procedure.

Raoul
Raoul's China Expat Saloon
http://chinateachers.proboards17.com
Nate's China School Review
http://www.chinaschoolreview.net

#4 Parent jack crowl - 2006-04-29
Shanghai Commerce and Industry Assoc - Teachers discussion

Do you know this outfit? I am one of about ten folks who are being recruited. Flags start when I hear they expect me to pay my way over there.

Thanks,

Jack Crowl

#5 Parent Raoul - 2006-04-17
Hard to paint China with a broad brush... - Teachers discussion

The things said here can be true, but can be VERY relative depending upon where you are.

A great many schools simply will NOT send an air ticket. It doesn't mean they're dodgy...at least not too dodgy. ALL schools in China are dodgy one way or another...
There are a lot of dodgy schools...and a lot of dodgy would-be teachers. MANY people accept jobs here, and then simply never show up. This is why most schools won't front the air ticket...it's actually somewhat justified.

4500 RMB a month is enough to live on...in the hinterlands. You'll die on this salary in Beijing or Shanghai or most of the cities in the prosperous area around Shanghai. (Where I live, near Shanghai, that bowl of mixed fried rice is more like 10 RMB...) Even in the sticks, 4500 a month won't be much fun. It won't leave much for traveling or saving or going out for a good time. Why exactly are you coming to China, anyway? I can't recommend a salary under 6000 anywhere in China unles you're teaching at a university. (Uni salaries are regulated by law, and generally offer shorter hours that make part-tim work possible...)

Be careful of broad-brush descriptions of China. What's true in, say, Kunming may not be true at all in Ningbo or Taiyuan or Dalian. Get SPECIFIC information...if you ask long enough, you'll find what you really need.

Raoul (BBQ, PBR, 6UL.Dv8)
Raoul's China Expat Saloon
http://chinateachers.proboards17.com
Nate's China School Review
http://www.chinaschoolreview.net

Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. - 2006-04-16
Teaching in China - Teachers discussion

If you plan on teaching in China better insist that the school buy and send the ticket otherwise they have invested nothing. You invest a lot, your health, your training. I would be really firm on this. Any school that will not send you a ticket is not worth bothering with.

Living conditions are very rough in China (often no winter heat, missing windows, blocked toilet etc.) You have to ask for repairs or get them done yourself. You have to get the heating (gas or electric) that nobody else has! They are still catching up with sanitation and technology after 61 years of isolation. Shanghai can be different, very modern.

The people are rough around the edges but kind and the students very very helpful, esp. for translation when shopping. A few will attach themselves to you and help you in numerous ways. This is the best way you can teach them. Do not go out with crowds of students (noisy and stressful). Your weekends are yours.

If your motivation is to learn about Chinese culture and history do come. There is a lot to see and do.

4,500 yuan per month is much more than enough to live on. You won't spend it. Things are incredibly cheap here. Example, supper: big big bowl of mixed fried rice is 2.5 yuan, and 8 yuan is one US dollar. (A large bottle of beer is the same price 2.5 yuan.) So you eat supper or drink for about 30 cents. Trust me on this, but Shanghai and other big cities can be more expensive especially if you want to frequent western chain retaurants like KFC etc. or want to buy antiques.

The Chinese are great painters and amazing gardeners and will teach you. As I said there is a lot to do if you get out into the town with 1 or 2 students. Students don't have much pocket money so be prepared to pick up the tab often..it's pennies really.

Don't sign any contract with penalties. Go to the Chinese Embassy near you to find out exactly what papers you need for a visa. Agents make a lot of mistakes especially regarding medical forms. The Embassey will tell you what you must have.

The south is warm, the north (Beijing) is very cold. Pick a region where you will be comfortable. The extreme South like Hainan Island has tropical fruit and coconuts. Yunnan Province borders on Laos, Vietnam and Burma, good for trips. Write me directly if you want more info.

Return to Index › Teaching in China - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -