TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › first month in China - Teachers discussion
#1 Parent Raoul Duke LOOK! I BEEN TO COLLEGE! - 2006-04-30
Wrong again! - Teachers discussion

Uh, Hemingway, it is apparently a MR. Day.
I was wrong at first too.

But I am indeed NOT Hemingway, although he is my good friend and I am honored by the association. I do know that Hemingway and his wife went through hell beyond hell beyond imagining at that stupid uni in Anhui, so I can understand a bit of irritation on his part when someone tries to minimize or excuse away his experience. Especially when said person has no clue what they are talking about.

On other of MR. Day's points:

I most assuredly did NOT post any profanity. I posted nothing that couldn't safely be said before an 8-year-old child. Among my whimsical post-name letters I included a pair of initials that can be interpreted as being shorthand for a phrase that IS profane. So if this is intended to be a rebuttal or a defense, it's a surprisingly desperate one.

I have no problems with degrees and accomplishments. I hold multiple degrees myself and like to think I have at least a few bright spots in my history. These things are on my business cards and my resume where they belong. I haven't spot-welded them to my name, and I can at least place a simple post on an internet forum without waving my degrees in people's faces.

So, I don't in any way challenge your credentials, although personally I find your use of them rather risible and pathetic. I DID, however, challenge some of the ideas you've posted. They NEEDED challenging, in my humble opinion. If you'd like to rebut these challenges, stop trying (rather spuriously) to point the Shrieking Finger Of Pottymouthery at me, and go for it.

I think it's the ideas one generates that determines whether or not one's posts are valid, not the initials one places after one's name. If these ideas are good, they can easily be defended without throwing a tantrum, taking one's degrees down from the wall, or claiming to hang out with dentists.

Regards,
Raoul

#2 Parent Hemingway - 2006-04-30
Oh how wrong you are! - Teachers discussion

Ms. Day,

You are wrong-unequivocally so .

I do not post, nor have I ever posted, under the name, Raoul Duke.

If, however, you question the validity of this response to your repetitive assertions that Raoul Duke and I are the same poster, then you can certainly email the moderator of this forum, and get the IP addresses.

Ms. Day, you should re-evaluate your assumptions, instead of making such unsubstantiated, irresponsible allegations.

Please check with the moderator before you make such claims again.

#3 Parent Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. - 2006-04-28
Raoul Duke or Hemmingway - Teachers discussion

This guy posted profanity in his first reply and it was deleted. When opinions are mixed with too much testosterone I walk away and attend to my own business.

Concerning posting with degrees (which brought on Raoul's profanity.) I never used them until a few years ago at a publisher's request. They say where one is coming from. I'm a plant scientist in China for a stint so was interested in your mentioning herbal foods. Degrees don't bother me. Who do they bother, and why? I've been around doctors, dentists and academics (few engineers) all my life, moreso now on-line
austronesian@yahoogroups.com,austric@yahoogroups.com.

ESL is just one part of what I do. Accomplishments (degrees, olympic medals, books written, whatever) do open doors.

#4 Parent Raoul Duke D.U.I., B.L.T., L.S.D., RUN.DMC - 2006-04-18
I CAN'T STAND IT! - Teachers discussion

I've been in China a long time now, and I'm having a hard time reconciling this with any reality I've observed so far.

Chinese people, at least the younger generations, don't mind trying our food, but very few of them eat it on a regular basis...at least anything other than KFC and perhaps pizza. They are very proud and very chauvinistic about their food here, and the Chinese on the broad scale are quite possibly the least gastronomically adventurous people on the planet. Those people who still haven't sampled Western foods haven't necessarily done so for lack of opportunity...in many cases they simply don't want to know.

The ubiquitous "western-style" coffee restaurants in China crank out steaks and spaghetti so altered for local tastes that most Westerners won't claim them. A careful look will reveal to you that the big sellers in many of these places are the set meals of Chinese food. Even with that, many of these places aren't very successful...lots of empty tables and idle workers.

Successful restaurants with real western food that we would recognize tend to work only in places with an expat community large enough to support them. These restaurants run a constant tightrope of buying expensive imported ingredients, and trying to maintain a staff who can speak English, provide decent customer service, and sort of understand the food they serve.

How exactly does one decorate a restaurant with "the ESL angle"? Conjugate verbs on the walls?

Sure, Internet Marketing is indeed in its infancy in China's domestic market. But I suggest that this has little to do with imagination or awareness or know-how...this is one of the world's most internet-savvy nations. It probably has a LOT to do with the fact that almost no one here has a credit card, making it hard for people to shop online. International internet marketing, on the other hand, comes with a prohibitive shipping cost unless you are selling high-priced luxury goods or can sell on a very large scale.

Look, yes, there is a lot of opportunity here. Do look into the possibilities of doing some business here if you are properly inclined and equipped. It will take money and hard work and luck....just as it will anywhere else. It takes a knowledge of the highly elaborate, slippery, and corrupt systems of laws, regulations, and taxes. And it takes a Chinese partner you can trust...which is NOT a given. I know several cases of foreigners helping start up a western restaurant, and seeing it succeed, only to have the local partners force them out in the cold once that local partner had learned the business...leaving the foreigner with no business, no compensation, and no meaningful legal recourse. China is a GREAT place for naive foreigners to have their backsides handed to them. It's even happened to the pros.

So please DON'T think that Zhou Baijiu (The Chinese "Joe Sixpack") is lining up to eat our food often. He isn't. It will take a lot of persuasive marketing and a lot of patience to get him there, if ever you will. And DON'T think that starting a real business here is something you can sail into easily and cheaply and quickly. It isn't.

And by all means DON'T think that the Chinese need us to come in here and teach them to be entrepreneurial and innovative in business. They don't. Believing so would be cultural arrogance of the lowest and most ignorant kind...so I'm sure no one here would do it.

Raoul (B.Sc., B.Sc., MBA)
Raoul's China Expat Saloon
http://chinateachers.proboards17.com
Nate's China School Review
http://www.chinaschoolreview.net

#5 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-04-17
In China, make sure you'll be working for a 'legal' school - Teachers discussion

Make sure you'll be working for a school in China that can hire foreign teachers on legally. Most can't. Make sure you do your homework on China--visa requirements, list of schools that can hire you legally, that sort of thing.

You should also check out Raoul's China Saloon. That's a great site for those heading to China.

#6 Parent Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. - 2006-04-17
Start a Business in China..no degree needed. - Teachers discussion

This economy is really growing fast and innovation is welcome. The people want to meet foreigners and try new foods. Most have never tried sphaghetti or macaroni and cheeze, etc. etc. many European herbs are not known here. If you partner up with a local you can rent a space for a cafe and restaurant with western music, whatever. Use the ESL angle and decorate with that theme. It costs little to start up.

China produces so many things (Yunnan tea,low-tech machines, jades)and so is a natural place to operate internet marketing. They need creative ideas from outside. I'm encouraging my students in this.

#7 Parent frank andrews - 2006-04-16
First month in China - Teachers discussion

I'm glad you are thinking about your preparations now.
There are so many things to consider while preparing for something like this, and money is just one of them. If you've seen an ad about making money teaching ESL, yaughts, sailboats, villas overlooking the Med, forget it. Nobody is getting rich. If you have school loans to repay, you'll barely make a dent.
If you are looking for something challenging, something that will help you develop teaching skills for your career, business skills, diplomacy skills, so many other skills you never knew existed till you got them, then jump in with both feet! All of us are still developing those skills--or should be--and many of us are on our second profession.
As you read through the messages posted in these forums, look for commonalities. Read between the lines. Try to recognize what seems OK, and what doesn't feel right.
Good luck.

#8 Parent Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. - 2006-04-16
Ist month in China - Teachers discussion

I guess you have been reading the other recent notes. The big modern cities are more expensive than the others. I find it incredibly cheap here, just like the south Phillipines. If you have to leave will you have enough money with you? If you are not paid do you have enough money with you? Count on the unexpected. In one month I spend less than $200 but everybody is different. Western products like instant coffee are more expensive here. A chocolate bar can cost $1 US but rice is really cheap as are vegetables and eggs, pork, tofu, noodles, dumplings etc. The bus in Changsha costs 1 yuan or 1/8th of a US dollar. Hong Kong is very expensive..nothing like other China cities.

max - 2006-04-16
first month in China - Teachers discussion

I am a recent college graduate and i will be getting my TESL certificate in September. My question is about my first month in China. I am plan on working in China. I would like to know about the first time/month i go to china. How much money do i need to bring with me before i get paid? Thanks in advance,

max

Return to Index › first month in China - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -