TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Non-native English teacher / Please some hints on where to find jobs - Teachers discussion
#1 Parent gigi - 2009-11-20
Re: Non-native English teacher / Please some hints on where to find jobs - Teachers discussion

Hey

I got a job abroad and I'm not a native, hovewer.... today I was told: remember, keep speaking English everyday, if not, if you loose your English we won't need you anymore ....................

:(

#2 Parent myriam - 2007-06-09
reply to yurena - Teachers Discussion

hi Yurena,

I'm also non native (i'm French) and have been teaching for the last 2 years in china and in madrid.

you will definitely find it more difficult to find a job than native speakers but it's not impossible as there are many of us around the world!!!

i would suggest you try Asia for your first position...then it'll become easier...

good luck!! :)

#3 Parent E Burke - 2006-05-01
Brano - Teachers discussion

Hi Brano,

Just wondering: you're not Slovak, by any chance, are you?

#4 Parent Elena - 2006-03-01
Non-native Speakers - Teachers discussion

Hola Yurena,

My name is Elena and I'm 28 yrs old as well and I'm currently applying for a TESOL position anywhere in Asia. Let me tell you girl, if you're not a native-speaker they will most likely reject you...sorry to tell you that but it's the truth. But there's a way...I became a US Citizen and even though my passport says I was born in Mexico, I said I came to the States when I was 3 yrs old, so technically English will be my native language and so they believe it but that's IF you get to the Interview level because even by looking at your name they might just assume you're not American nor Canadian, so they don't want you. So, there it is....just be ready. And by the way, I applied for about 52 positions and only got 1 true offer. All the others were scams from China....so be careful with China as well....they will take anything and anyone!

#5 Parent Teachers Latin America - 2006-02-19
hours - Teachers discussion

6 AM to 9 PM solid is ridiculous. That is far from the norm and depends a lot on where you teach and in what context.

There is a lot of split shift work which can be troublesome, when working in language schools or company-focused schools. Early morning classes are common...7 or 8 am starts. In the case of a split shift, you would have a big hole in your day from 10 AM to 3 PM (it varies). Split shift isn't fun, but I find I've gotten used to it and fill my day with other activities.

Teaching in a regular school is an 8-4 gig like anywhere else.

#6 Parent Gladys - 2006-02-19
teaching in latin america - Teachers discussion

Is it really that bad in Latin America? I was thinking about trying to find a job there, but 6am - 9pm IS ridiculous

#7 Parent brano - 2006-02-08
??? - Teachers discussion

well, i am a non native speaker and i can tell you taht its all about luck. once you find a school and you start working and your boss can see that you are actually doing your best and you know what you are doing there is no problem.

by the way, TLA u wrote that it might be easier to find a job for us in asia. well, it is not. why? the pay here is really good and thats why there are many teachers and the schools can choose from many different applicants. japan is almost impossible, korea probably just illegally, china(hmmm, huge market so why not), taiwan is still available but it can take some time to find a full time. thailand ..the pay is not so good if you are a non native so you have to try to find some work in more remote areas.

on the other hand, latina america is no problem. the pay is ridiculous and the hours as well. i had no problem whatsoever finding a job in brazil, argentina, colombia, peru or ecuador. so it depends on your preferences. i love south america and dont mind the pay unless i have to work from 6am till 9pm like in colombia for less the 500USD a month.

#8 Parent Teachers Latin America - 2006-02-06
Just about anywhere - Teachers discussion *Link*

In many countries, there is a preference for native-speakers. However, one should remember that there are far more non-native-speakers teaching out there than native-speakers.

Given that you are Spanish, you would have the whole of the European Union in which to seek employment. Good start. Asia may also be available to you, such as Japan, China, Korea, etc.

Latin America may be more difficult.

Yurena - 2006-02-04
Non-native English teacher / Please some hints on where to find jobs - Teachers discussion

Hello everybody!
My name is Yurena and I am a Spanish girl aged 28 currently studying towards the TESOL qualification at a Scottish University.

I am anxious about my future as an English teacher because of my nationality and I wonder if you could share your success stories with me to cheer me up ;)

Are they any others in the same situation?
Have you managed to find a job abroad as an English despite not being a native speaker?

Any info would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Yurena

Return to Index › Non-native English teacher / Please some hints on where to find jobs - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -