TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Do I need a qualification? - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-05-11
At which level will you be teaching? - Teachers Discussion

At which level will you be teaching? Secondary school? High school? College? I

f you're heading to a college, a TESOL may be something you should think about getting, even if you don't "need" it to get the job. However, go the cheapest route you can, such as an online version. Don't spend big bucks on a program you'll need to fly to on an expensive plane ticket. You don't need to. All you really need is a resource, such as a library book, and the desire to do it. I can't stress how important the "desire" factor is.

I went the expensive-TESOL-program-route and now wish I handn't. The program itself was pretty good, but it was still too expensive. Moreover, I use very, very little of what I learned in that program today on the job.

If you are going to teach more of the same, in other words, if you're going to teach secondary students, you need only to read a good book on TESOL. This is free at a public library. And you can renew it as many times as you need. If you "need" a TESOL at this level, I'd get a counterfeit made and go to work. You've got a year's experience teaching already. This should be enough.

#2 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-05-10
Training and China - Teachers Discussion

Yo'livia,

In China you do not have to have a cert in order to teach. Your degree will get you into the majority of doors; your experience will help further.

The CELTA IMHO is overkill for a lot of jobs in China. I would recommend messing with it only if you're sure you want a longer career in EFL. However, if you want to later to to decent countries fittin' for people to live in, such as Western Europe, a CELTA will be of more value. I think the upshot here is that there's no hurry to get a CELTA.

A lesser cert is of questionable value here. It will open a few more doors but wil have zero impact in terms of salary or environment. Weekend, online, mail order, Ye Olde Photoshop Academy will all work if you feel you must get one...makes little difference.

There are "on the job" programs here. Some are pretty good...might look into the Boland School here in my beloved Suzhou. (DON'T let them send you to Shane English School!!!) There are others here as well.

Don't panic, love. You'll be fine. Unless of course you panic, in which case they'll eat you alive. ;-{)

Raoul
Raoul's China Expat Saloon
http://chinateachers.proboards17.com/index.cgi
Nate's China School Review
http://www.chinaschoolreview.net

olivia - 2006-05-10
Do I need a qualification? - Teachers Discussion

Hi

I am hoping to get some advice.

I want to teach English abroad (preferably in China at first). I am currently working as a Teaching Assistant in the English department of a secondary school in the UK. I also have experience teaching history and some TEFL/ EAL experience gained from this role. By the time I leave for China, I will have had one year of experience working in education. I also have a BA (hons) degree.

The problem is that I the only CELTA courses available (part time and full time) do not fit in with my timetable and term times. There is also the issue of cost, as a Teaching Assistants wages are awfully low. Therefore my questions are:

1) Considering my experience, which includes a lot of practical teaching experience, do I really need a TEFL?

2) If yes, then would a weekend TEFL be sufficient?

3) Might an on-line TEFL course be OK?

4) Are there schemes in China where I would be able to train on the job and, as a result, receive a recognised TEFL qualification, which I could go on to use in Japan, for example?

Please help, Im starting to panic as I plan to leave in December! I would be extremely grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Olivia >\-| XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Return to Index › Do I need a qualification? - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -