TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Thoughts upon retirement
#1 Parent Cricket - 2015-06-11
Re: Thoughts upon retirement

Don't forget the stagnant wages. Another way things are different now. It's shocking to see the same salaries being offered now as a decade ago, the value of which are even less when you add it all up.

#2 Parent KEmms - 2015-06-07

Thank you. Glad you thought so.

On and off for approximately 20 years in 7 different countries. Breaks in between gigs.

#3 Parent Curious - 2015-06-07

Excellent post!
Would you tell us if you are referring to a country in particular (China, Korea...) or to the ESL world in general?

KEmms - 2015-06-07
Thoughts upon retirement

I "retired" from ESL/efl teaching earlier this year. I thought I would write a book about my experiences but realized I want to spend time doing other things. And everything I want to say just about could be summarized in a few sentences.

1. It is not easy. Mostly this is because of deceptive practices of employers, and a general but pervasive feeling of disrespect coming from the local management or staff, or the local people. It can take a while to see what is going on but when you do, it can be quite upsetting. (Confusing and cumbersome visa requirements are a whole other story....)

2. It is not for everyone. This is because of constant curveballs that will be thrown your way, nonstop focus on your personal weaknesses and personal affairs, and the strange difficulties unique to expat communities. The people I saw who were happy and thriving were outgoing, very social, and highly competitive. They were also willing, for whatever reason, to overlook the power games and school disorganization. People who cherish their privacy, who are deeply introverted, or who are bothered by mind games, bad management/bad business practices are at a great disadvantage.

3. The market is oversaturated now. This may sound overly cynical but I believe the internet has ruined this field. There is no sense of really being away anymore. And people who enter the field now seem to do it on a lark. This might not bother everyone though but the employers and a lot of the communities around the world have much less respect for us than was once the case.

I wish everyone good luck and success anyway. No one could have talked me out of going abroad when I started so I'm not expecting anyone to change their minds. But I wish someone had told me these things. There are good aspects of course, mostly the students and the chance to be shaped by other world views. Just my opinion!

Return to Index › Thoughts upon retirement

Go to another board -