TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Beware of King Saud University and ICEAT
#1 Parent Tom - 2016-06-28
Re Beware of King Saud University and ICEAT

You are incredibly fortunate. I have worked for ICEAT for nearly 7 years. As per my contract, they are supposed to pay me my end of service award. Not only are they trying to avoid paying it, I have been advised that If I wish to transfer to a new employer in Madinah, I will forfeit the entire bonus, ticket allowance, and holiday pay approximately 80,000SAR.

To anyone out there DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT OR AGREE TO WORK FOR ICEAT

#2 Parent Annie - 2016-05-18

Just had the worst experience with this cowboy operation. Being told to pack up my job that I was flying out to saudi in under two weeks, I left England, my job, my husband and my life. Waiting in Ireland to hear of my fly out date that week I was suddenly told my visa had been cancelled. I was to wait for 10 days to hear why. Ringing the saudi embassy to enquirer why, they had no details of that visa block number nor of my passport that I was told was sent there.

When quizzed, I was told that they couldn't explain why my visa had been cancelled, to trust them and I'd probably fly out that Sunday. Saturday came and no call. I then phoned on Sunday and was told that I must wait another 3-4 weeks. I started to smell a rat and started quizzing them further as to what exactly was going on? I then heard from a contact in saudi that they didn't have the contract for KSU for 2016-17. I phoned again and queried them, knowing at this point, I no longer had a job and there wasn't a problem with cancelled visas, they just didn't have jobs to get visas. When quizzed further they told me everything was in hand and they were sure they would get the contract.

I was asked them to wait 5/6 weeks!!!! Obviously I've ordered my passport and every bit of paperwork they had on me back. The whole experience has been negative, stressful, unprofessional, dishonest and exceptionally frustrating. I should have known from the very beginning when Michelle from In Advance (agency that hired me in London) lied about the wages, the accommodation and driver allowance. I went from dropping in basic start by £900 a month.

Just wish I had trusted my gut and not been so desperate to meet my husband who has now relocated there. If I could take them to court I would. So people, save yourself the heartache and stress and join a company who actually have positions guaranteed so you don't give up your life on their word. I will forever remember my experience with ICEAT AND IN ADVANCE recruitment with complete and utter distain. It's a blessing it didn't work out for me....fate in this case played the upper hand and I've secured a good position elsewhere. No lies, no false promises, no haggling of wages. Good riddance to them.

#3 Parent ScamKnight - 2016-03-19

"you need an exit visa from your company in order to leave the country."

That sentence alone is enough to keep me away from Saudi! :(

#4 Parent Janet - 2016-03-19

It's not as bad really. We teach 2 classes a day. Each class is for 75 minutes. You have the rest of the time free to prepare your lessons.

#5 Parent KT - 2015-12-04

Correction: ICEAT pays salaries on time. To be precise they pay 5 days in advance than we're supposed to get paid.

#6 Parent KT - 2015-12-04

I disagree. ICEAT are not dishonest. They're the most honest company I've worked for.

#7 Parent KT - 2015-12-04

You get paid well if you have an MA in TESOL and over 5 years of teaching experience.

#8 Parent KT - 2015-12-04

It's very easy to send money abroad. I use Riyadh bank online service and my money is in the UK the next day. It's pretty straightforward.

#9 Parent KT - 2015-12-04

I agree the university is very strict, but I disagree that ICEAT makes empty promises. We received the signing bonus this month without any hassle at all.
You'll get much more if you have an MA in TESOL and over 5 years of teaching experience.

#10 Parent KT - 2015-12-04

It's not as bad. 3 classes OK, but each class is 1 hr 5 minutes. In the UK I taught for 6 hours a day and they stopped us paying for 15 min breaks.

ICEAT has no moral is not true at all. It's one of the most moral and honest companies in Riyadh.

#11 Parent Unhappy Camper - 2015-10-25

My colleagues with a CELTA certificate and a college degree say they are paid just under 13,000 SAR per month. That would be 90% of the teachers I have met at KSU. I have been told that the salaries are based on degrees and years of experience and there's no wiggle room. I am ABD and have a slightly higher salary. I was told I would get a nice signing bonus, but after almost 10 weeks, there hasn't been anything but empty promises. Most of the folks who run KSU seem very nice, and the teachers are also nice, but the attendance policies and university policies are super-strict and consistently enforced. This stuff will make you realize you are in dictatorship and that you are not in a free society. Everything in SA is tightly controlled. EVERYTHING!

I am told that other places in Saudi like Jeddah and Al Khobar are somewhat nicer places and less strict. As for Riyadh, all I can say is I'm hoping I can hang in here for the full period. No perks. No forms of entertainment. Communication, let alone relationships, with the opposite gender here are practically impossible. If you can survive on shopping and going to salons for your only means of entertainment, then you may be able to endure it. Getting money sent back home to bank accounts can be a major headache! Banks often find any and all reasons not to do transactions. They seem to make up their rules as they go. In general, Saudis are not very interested in work, or your happiness. It can be frustrating to try to get anything done.

My advice, steer clear. Anyway, IMF reports Saudi economy is heading south and education will probably be one of the first things to go. Greedy employers will take as much advantage of the situation as they can. You will likely have to beg for what's due you. This is a "HARDSHIP" assignment. Maybe you can find an easier ways to make a dollar. I hear Taiwan is good. When you weigh the salary against the quality of life, you can come out better by taking a slightly lower salary in a free society.

#12 Parent Mizzit - 2015-08-06

They pay peanuts, and even then they did not pay the peanuts in full and on time.
Never work in any Arab country, it is everywhere the same!

#13 Parent Yasin - 2015-08-06

Crazy story, i want to ask for all the trouble and stress you went through, the salary must have been very high, how much do they pay their teachers?

Mollyt - 2015-04-05
Beware of King Saud University and ICEAT

Anyone looking at going to work in Saudi Arabia, I feel compelled to advise you to think about this very very carefully and thoroughly research the company and the educational institute.

I was offered a job as an ESL instructor at King Saud University in Riyadh, through ICEAT.

It was a miserable experience. On the plus side I met some great people (colleagues), but the job was an absolute joke and the company has no morals whatsoever.

Unlike other companies, those in Saudi Arabia have tough penalties if you break your contract. What you would be forced to pay surpasses a month and half's salary. If you think you can just leave without telling them, think again, as in Saudi Arabia you need an exit visa from your company in order to leave the country. Basically you are giving up your freedom when you go there.

I cannot comment on other companies, only what I heard of them. ICEAT in some ways seems better than what I have heard of some others. But they are greedy and they are dishonest.

In terms of King Saud University - run! It was like working in a prison and we were the inmates. Actually a more accurate description would be a boarding school for naughty children. Teachers are not treated with any respect whatsoever, and when they say you only get 30 days leave they mean it. When the university closes to the students, it does not close to the English teachers. Only the English teachers, by the way. Teachers from other departments can stay home, but English teachers are expected to be there, come rain or shine, whether students are or not. The administration either leaves you to waste 8 hours sitting at your desk watching films, or they organize pointless things like jewelry making workshops and art competitions. So this means when the university closes for a week, instead of going away to visit your family, or visit some interesting neighboring region or country, you just waste time doing nothing, just so they can say you are there.

If you are late you get money docked. If you are sick, you have to provide a sick note, even if you have projectile vomiting or uncontrollable diarrhea, you are still expected to go and get a doctors note. A colleague of mine even said that a doctor at a hospital told her they had been told not to give doctor's notes, and colleagues I knew were refused doctors' notes at hospitals even when they were legitimately ill.

Once you walk through those campus doors, you have entered prison. You cannot leave then until 3pm (or 3.30pm - the end of your shift), where you touch your thumb onto the fingerprint machine to touch out. You have to touch in every morning, and if you don't then you get docked money. If you do need to leave campus for any reason, then you need to get permission, and can only do so 3 times a semester. If you are unlucky enough to be assigned 3 classes a day, then you will never be able to avail this option. The process for getting permission is ridiculous as well. You have to fill out a slip (all in Arabic), and get it signed by 3 different people after justifying your need to leave, and then make a copy for one of the administrators.

Regardless of how qualified you are, you are still subjected to multiple observations. An absurd kind they call 'buzz' observations where they basically check you are following the dress code, seating arrangement, have filled out the register properly, have a silly lesson plan template that no-one uses as their actual lesson plan, and are using the technology supplied (which invariably does not work). Then they have one scheduled observation a semester which is allegedly to make sure 'learning is taking place'.

This is without a doubt, the worst place I have every worked in my life, and would highly advise against it to anyone. To each their own. There are people who make it through and some who even re-sign.

Best of luck.

Return to Index › Beware of King Saud University and ICEAT

Go to another board -