TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re sad aftermath of ESL "careers"
#1 Parent formerZhengzhou - 2015-08-19
Re sad aftermath of ESL "careers"

Oh yes thats a different story if you are here retired or have income from some other investements back home. No, they don't need to work as foreign teachers in training centres or anywhere else but I find most of them do work (at least part-time) for whats really their 'starbucks and pizza hut money'.

I became curious how there were so many roughly 50 year olds in some of those groups I'd run across (often spending breakfast, lunch and dinner at McDonalds, Starbucks etc) and after a while I learned that while a few of them had taken early retirement at 55 there were more who were living off inheritance money. Some had inherited the family home and were taking equity out or had just sold the homes or in one case just inherited 100K usd outright.

So that's great if you are retired or inherit money but to be clear that's not a case where these foreigners aren't being 'losers' who are just so smart and Turnoi-like geniuses they know better and have greater power of will like you. This is largely circumstance that allows them to work wherever they want or for that matter (like some I met) devote time to higher education, translation projects or charitable organizations.

If your retirement fund stopped delivering wouldn't you find yourself teaching classes at the local university like anyone else? Yes of course.

Return to Index › Re sad aftermath of ESL "careers"

Go to another board -