TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Once in a life time chance - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. - 2006-06-07
Reno Hit the nail and made me laugh - Teachers Discussion

Reno when you first posted the comments about being expected to be a clown I did laugh out loud because you took the words right out of my mouth on my first (and only) hogwan job (private English school)in South Korea. That was back in 1996-97. The school was called Expo Hogwan in Expo Park of Taijon city. The owners have changed a couple of times I am told. I told my boss that if she wanted clowns she should have hired them. I taught English for a year there and I did get results. We took them from zero to speaking in a year. I am really proud of that. I saw results because the kids came every weekday andf the curriculum was oral and written. Kids get tired of seeing the same teacher every day (vary the approach) but they also came to know us quite well. That was a hard job and a hard year but I wrote more lessons in that year and learned more techniques and more Korean language from the kids than any time after. I also fell in the shower and cracked a shoulder blade. That almost pushed me over the edge with stress and pain. There was one afternoon when I almost did not have it in me to go to school. I nearly cracked mentally. Here is some advice to the Korean owners: Don't push your teachers too hard. They will crack and the financial loss will be yours. Recruiting/retaining students is your job. You can jump through hoops to cater to the uneducated whims of mothers. Treat your teachers as teachers. There is nothing wrong with using a creative and fun curriculum.

#2 Parent Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U - 2006-06-07
You didn't go to clown college. - Teachers Discussion

You didn't go to clown college after you graduated. If you would have gone to said college, you'd know that TESOL isn't about teaching, surprise, surprise. It's about fooling your students into thinking they are learning something when they are really not learning anything at all. Clown college can help you achieve this without being obvious.

#3 Parent Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. - 2006-06-06
Hi Dianne - Teachers Discussion

I'm in at a private college, like a community college.
Maybe I sounded negative in the last message but having 60% of the class with me is pretty good. The bad apples are out of the room and into the library. It is the teacher's role to discipline/create order if they won't do it themselves. Most departments would not allow me that latitude but I don't ask for it and always say "My classroom is not a prison".
No more contracts for me Dianne. One year in China is enough. Learned a lot here in 6 months, genuine perspectives. Just turned 50 and want to retire from the salary rat race, the noise and other pollutions. I'll teach privately a bit in the future. Early retirement is possible without the overhead of mortgages and an expensive, oil-comsuming lifestyle. A dollar earned in a wealthy country buys 8 to 10 in the 3rd world. Can become millionaire by those standards. Before time runs out want to swing in a hammock under the coconuts. Will go the low-tech way and maybe help with orphans and wildlife rehab. Easy to stay busy.

#4 Parent Dianne - 2006-06-06
Hi Robin - Teachers Discussion

Hi Robin,

Where are you teaching, friend ?
I have never had such students in China.
I taught all ages from kindergarten to college students.
Try to find a better school ! If you like college students, look for a public teachers` college.
I would not suggest you a private middle school or college.

#5 Parent Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. - 2006-06-06

Most of my students are college level, 21-22.

I have two classes where a lot of the kids have a bad attitude. Sure, I know I'm judging with my values. Maybe it is graduation depression I am observing. They are finishing this term and maybe feel down about job prospects and exams. They seem to want to plant themselves at their desks and do exactly whatever they want: talk over the teacher to their friends, sleep on the desk, hook wax out of their ears, use their mobile phone, do work for other classes, check their makeup, trim split ends, spit on the floor, crack sunflower seeds and dump the mess on the floor with all their tissues. This is the norm here.
Dianne I have used some of the methods you mentioned. I would say 60% of the class will follow my lead in English study, the rest I finally kicked out in May month, sent them to the library. Like Reno points out, the only time they would participate was if I entertained them and this familiarity or clowning bred some contempt. Like all kids they test their limits.

#6 Parent Dianne - 2006-06-02
Hi Robin - Teachers Discussion

First, you need to make friends. When I taught kids, my purse was full of candies and stickers. ( Chinese kids are very shy ).
You can walk in the classroom and use the " chong-fu " for smaller groups of students.
What`s the age of these kids ?
If they are 6-8 years old, you can use short rhymes:
" Jellyfish, jellyfish dance in the sea !
Ouch ! A jellyfish sits on my knee..." (plus some body language )
Invite 4-6 students in front of the classroom and let them perform ! Don`t forget to ask applauses from the audience and to give each of them a sticker.
Then, invite 6 more kids and so on...
For older ones ( 8-12 ), you need longer roles:
For boys: " My name is Steven. I am a king. I am very strong. I can bang the gong...."
For girls: " My name is Ann. I am a queen. I have a ring. I can sing a long song..." ( Let them sing, if they want to !). Why not some paper crowns and plastic rings for the young artists ?
Create such roles by yourself ! ( with some "hidden grammar" sometimes )
Personally, I spent much time assisting Chinese kindergarten teachers at weekend. They are graduates of special colleges in China.
For the age 12-14, you can start some debates like :" What can you tell me about China ?"" Chinese inventions ", " Animals in the desert ", "Dolphins ", " Animals with long lives ", " Polar bears ", " Kites "...
I agree with Rheno 747. TESOL and TEFL courses are not very useful, especially in China, where teachers must handle classes of 50-80 students. I met an Australian teacher, who spent more than 2000USD on such a course and couldn`t teach properly. She was exhausted and full of chalk after each class.
( too much body language ).

#7 Parent Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. - 2006-06-01

Interesting comment. Brings to mind: "Ask not what your school can do for you, ask what you can do for the school." Hee hee.
When I arrived in China I was told I would be giving Oral English classes. That was a surprise. Not sure what that meant but I found it means doing chong-fu or back and forth oral repeating. This has some value but I am asking myself in a class of 50 kids, "Who can hear the mistakes and so how can they make slight improvements?" When I teach Oral English I must put the main points on the board as a crutch or support for the oral. In my school I find that if I try to speak with one kid he/she will not speak up so all can hear and thus the whole class loses interest. It is a delima. They are so accustomed to using chong-fu with their Chinese English teachers. I have used some oral games too (Sketch & Hint and Hangman) and recitation but the later is not that successful because of the small voice and shyness in speaking at the front. Any ideas?

#8 Parent Dianne - 2006-05-31
Answer for Tony - Teachers Discussion

You are looking for a GREAT school ?
But why are you not trying to be a GREAT teacher ?
Your posting is full of writing mistakes...
There are GREAT students in China. They deserve good teachers.

S W Tony - 2006-05-31
Once in a life time chance - Teachers Discussion

I and my wife are looking to stay in China to teach for another year or two. We have already been here 2 years. We are very happy with our school, and would be recomend it to any couple seeking a position. But mainly I am wondering if you can contact me if you have been working at a GREAT school. As we want to find a new school, we would like the best pay, house and conditions, and I would rather hear it from another foriegner then a recruiter. Maybe you work at a school that you kniow willo be needing 2 new teachers and you can tell us. thanks

Return to Index › Once in a life time chance - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -