TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re zhejiang
#1 Parent ExpatMcGee - 2015-08-29
Re zhejiang

Well put and yes 'tragic' might be the word for it. I was recently asked why I wouldn't make any long-term investments in China. I can't. I'm not happy or pleased to say this but there is no doubt in my mind China will face some other kind of crisis in 10 years. Which might be simply degenerating and languishing in a kind of poverty to God-forbid something much worse in terms of civil uprisings or lets hope not.

I say this because its simply impossible to imagine a country progressing when I see a fat school manager simply decide not to pay people and is quite seriosuly proud of this. And so are his friends. The number of 'little empresses' I'm seeing excited to humiliate (so childishly it can't be take serious) but humiliate anyone around them - especially foreigners. To see little emperors running up behind foreign teachers and shoving their fingers into the teachers anus region while another throws a large object out a window - and done so matter-of-factly because 'we feel like it' and a long long list of behavior, mannners and this "shame culture" rampant everywhere. This is a country that simply CANNOT work outside itself.

Remember when we used to suppose some of the African people were isolated, backward, uncivilized? I have yet to meet an African in China who isn't just simply bewildered and sincerely shocked at the behaviors he sees. There might be certain problems in the Muslims world but I don't meet Muslim world visitors who are snotting up phlegm and parking their BMW IN front of the bus stop so they can show everyone they are a big boss. I'm talking to Philipinos and Vietnamese visitors who are just scratching their heads at the rampant lying, blatant stupidity and behavior that just simply couldn't happen anywhere else we know of.

Now what you said about moving choices is interesting. To be sure Vietnam must have its problems but you know its a funny thing but the Vietnamese people were really happy to talk to me about some manufacturing ideas. I didn't really detect any BS from them but even better their child wasn't running around smashing street dogs with sticks and bottles and the Dad didn't attempt to show he was a 'big man' and didn't brag about how he can rip people off and cheat people like a champ.

There are some small but shining little stars in Africa where it turns out they are now starting to become manufacturers and getting their acts together for business.

It might even be possible the Trump movement actually wins the white house in the USA and you know its a funny thing but they just might decide its not worth the trouble or savings to manufacture in China (who knows?).

But one thing I do know - a culture and society and then an economy simply CANNOT continue on when 80% of its people are basically socially stupid, social cheats and users, proud of cheating, work on a 'shame culture' series of relationships and heirachy, produce a generation of what we'd call 'Attention Deficit Disorder' emperors and empresses who think they were victims and can get balance by victimizing others and there's simply no way it can work outside itself.

#2 Parent Dragonized - 2015-08-29
Re zhejiang

It's a true tragedy when people from a tribe generally promote the idea that they are victims and they want the world to believe their country is peacefully rising in power PROVOKES violent behavior in other groups of people. This only serves to harm everyone in the long run. Perhaps with time this can improve. If not, then the world needs to move on and allocate her resources to other peoples more willing to improve and civilize themselves to higher standards.

#3 Parent Haha - 2015-08-28
Re zhejiang

In sum, a culture of slaves and masters.

#4 Parent San Migs - 2015-08-26
Re zhejiang

True, but as he is in zj, shanghai is his best bet for help

#5 Parent BeenThere - 2015-08-26
Re: Re zhejiang

That's interesting!

#6 Parent formerZhengzhou - 2015-08-26
Re zhejiang

Newer FT might think the advice is being comical but to get serious about it - yes its a good idea.

Chinese culture works on a kind of inverse 'honor culture' which is really a 'shame culture'. This is why FT get confused when they are hired and the Directors or Principal just seems to come out of nowhere to be a dick for 'seemingly no reason'. In fact, what they are doing is collecting their perverted honor payment from you. They get off on it. In fact, its normal for Chinese. They will make up any reason (understand they dont' actually have a reason) its just to make you show that you were shamed and hence they are relatively more honored.

So the advice here is a highly effective tool - let him know you will shame him in front of his peers. You can do this by simply crticizing him loudly and instruct him how to behave. Do it a little the first time. Just enough to give you huge leverage to use. That being that he now sees you COULD destroy him socially and professionally IF you don't get his cooperation. Yes, actually recording yourself berating him or what actually works VERY WELL I found is actually 'trapping' him into what he thinks is a sweet juicy chance to shame you in front of many people (say the students) and when he starts - absolutely ignore him. Wave him off. While he starts talking turn and start talking to someone else just blatantly ignoring him as if he isn't even there.

This DESTROYS and actually he will be in very big danger of losing so much face he can lose it from his own community. He will be terrified - absolutely terrified if you had that recorded and might go showing other teachers etc.

#7 Parent John O'Shei - 2015-08-26
Re zhejiang

An emergency passport is all that he needs to get out of there.

#8 Parent San Migs - 2015-08-26
Re zhejiang
#9 Parent John O'Shei - 2015-08-26
Re zhejiang

I would suggest happy slapping him (Filming somebody whilst giving them a beating for your own sick sense of entertainment). Ask questions that would confirm that he holds your passport illegally, beat him and post it on all the ESL boards and youtube. If any legal action is taken, when you've already got home; it will be an international dispute and best of all, he will have lost face in a very big way.

#10 Parent John O'Shei - 2015-08-26
Re zhejiang

Yeah, you could get one in Mainland China if needed. I did a renewal by applying to HK and having the new one sent to China and I'd presume for emergency passports, there's similar procedures, even if the emergency passport itself, is sent from HK or even the U.K. Either way, it's an issue regarding his passport, a British passport and the Chinese authorities don't take to kindly to companies who cause disputes with foreign diplomatic missions.

I'd report the passport as lost, his original passport will be cancelled, he'll probably be able to get out of the country with his new passport and the school will left with nothing but what would now be a useless booklet.

#11 Parent San Migs - 2015-08-25
Re zhejiang

Can a UK national even get an emergency passport in the mainland? The consulate in HK only issues emergency passports, I would say the OP is in a puckke ....

#12 Parent Mickey - 2015-08-25
Re zhejiang

That, and when leaving I suggest you throw your fist realy hard into the face of whoever holds onto your passport (manager or owner). Knowing Chinese cops efficiency you will be over the Pacific before they take any action.

#13 Parent John O'Shei - 2015-08-25
Re zhejiang

My suggestion: Claim to merely be on holiday, report your passport as lost to your embassy. Get an emergency passport, get out of there.

Return to Index › Re zhejiang

Go to another board -