TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re Leviticus
#1 Parent ExpatMcGee - 2015-09-01
Re Leviticus

What we call "Hermeneutics" in Biblical scholarship today includes different
schools of thought on how to interpret and approach maimly Biblical texts.

Okay well its awkward wording. Different theologians, different schools of thought, they all use some kind of hermeneutics (some consistent methods, comparisons etc). Some different schools of thought might use very similar hermeneutics.

Fundamental criticism of Biblical texts historically started around the beginning of the
19th century and later developed into its own school of thought in the latter half the
19th century,

Yes, I told you that in my post. I wasn't sure if you knew when it became a popular identifiable school of thought in its own right but what us conservative Christians call 'Liberal Scholarship' in what I tapped as around the turn of the century (1880-1920s) Austria, Germany (not only there) in terms of popularity, influence, publishing. I told you that in my post so you didn't need to give me the google returns.

Even today, churches
won't tell their "flock" that the historical authencity of jesus' resurrection
is highly doubtful, to put it mildly.

Not sure why you have it "Flock" but a church is made of the "Flock" and its hilarious (and embarrassing) you don't understand everyone in the churches is fully capable of reading and is somehow at the mercy of what 'they' are withholding lol.

Anyways, yes, most churches are very very familiar with liberal scholarship and what it means and why their pastors don't accept it. Besides the pastors not accepting it they will sometimes do special presentations on this school of thought. Like our Pastor did with the'The Jesus Seminar' and again today with Bart Ehrman. Many churches hold debates.

No, to say that the historicity of the resurrection is 'highly doubtful to put it mildly' is highly doubtful to put it mildly. Keeping in mind the few liberal scholars out there usually don't doubt (not highly or slightly) the crucifixion - they just start with a premise that supernatural resurrection can't happen.

It's, however, a fact that
this Bible critical approach of the Tüningen school spread from there to all the unis
worldwide and has left an impact on worldwide Biblical scholarship

Yes, I was telling you that. Its pretty much the 'default' or standard for most any secular university in the English-speaking Western world. Something cute about that though: In my textbooks the name (reference to scholar) would appear as 'The W Theory' like that. One day I was curious why and discovered the 'W' (and actually all the 'letter theory') were all German and Austrian names. In fact, earlier textbooks would just refer to 'Richtel' or 'Weiss' or whatever the German name. I'd guess not enjoying Nazi-related questions (or for that matter German Jew questions) suddenly 'R-Hypothesis' or 'W-Theory' is written in place of full names hehe.

(intellectual dishonesty if you ask me).

Return to Index › Re Leviticus

Go to another board -