TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re why worry
#1 Parent ExpatMcGee - 2015-09-13
Re why worry

even if you're working for a good training centre, your wannabe school or almost anywhere its possible to save a chunk of salary yes. i agree it can even be that high. and i say whats wrong with that? nothing!

#2 Parent John - 2015-09-12
Re why worry

It's easy to save money in China and you don't have to live like a nong, I save like 85% of my income and still eat out everyday, live comfortably, I make a US upper middle class salary, I work for myself, not for some shitty training center or wannabe school.

#3 Parent ExpatMcGee - 2015-09-12
Re why worry

Yes we all know the stereotype of the loser FT who you have so much contempt for (again the 'not real teachers' zinger lol) but if you spent less time in expat bars with that fairly narrow crowd you'd be able to broaden your knowledge and wisdom instead of spinning circles in your narrow alleyway of visions.

Incredibly, a great many FTs have left better paying jobs (even if only slightly) to work in China for what is essentially a paycut and a loss of comforts. You probably don't know this but quite seriously labourers in my hometown can earn some pretty sweet paycheques. They are in fact often earning more money than you are right now. (since money is your respect factor).

Chinese are baffled by this. Most cannot comprehend it. They only explanation is the FT must be liars who are obviously trying to save face and desperately want respect by insisting they really can do better etc. Right? Because there is no other explanation! Money and career status are so obviously what everyone only wants the most. So .. therefore... there cannot be any other explanation right Martin?

The truth is many an expat FT is a superior man to you. (which may not be saying much). They are superior in that even though they made more money as a 'Shakeys Shift Manager' (than you or their FT income) and even though the construction labourers (making more money than you do here) still live in relatively better homes, cleaner streets, comforts of life...

..they decided to expand their lives. and in many cases that means they married a Chinese citizens and even started a new family and will be taking on huge immigration responsibilities and are actually aware they will have to 'start back at square one' when they do get back home. (again, something making them superior men than you).

and yes some of them do make 'careers' out of it. though I'm not entirely sure what you think 'career' means other than what kind of workplace title/status you have over someone else. But yep if you were like me the first time around you can translate FT experience into decent paid gigs as an ESL tutor and a promotion based on being able to handle Chinese customers at the company.

Oh sorry Martin... you just felt a twinge of annoyance because you just interpreted that as me trying to 'challenge you' over which of us is superior. The reason you felt that isn't actually because you are paid less than the average American construction labourer or that FT return to more comfortable lifestyles (the poor ones) but its because you are an inferior man in character. :(

I'm sorry for you but maybe I can help you learn something. Stay away from expat bars where you get a small world of expats and even better try and see beyond material things. I don't have a teaching degree so you may decide that can't be good advice hehe.

#4 Parent ExpatMcGee - 2015-09-12
Re why worry

I honestly don't understand why people think it is worthwhile to be an FT in China anymore,
salaries are stagnant, and the living cost is higher, and the visa rules more difficult,
and the people more hostile and xenophobic.

I agree with you. It can't be money anymore. Wages are stagnant but as you point out relatively less (and dropping) when compared to increases in living costs. Add to that (well actually minus) but the last 2 years I am seeing benefits being dropped almost everywhere. I've noticed health insurance, transportation costs (long gone) and recently quite a number removing Visa Costs from contracts! 5 years ago it wasn't uncommon to hear of 'signing bonuses' and now I'm seeing reduced wage 'probabation salary' starts for the first month!

I also agree xenophobia and disrespect are becoming worse (as far as I can tell). 5 years ago it seems any reasonably decent arrival was much admired but now the opportunity to have 'hand' over a foreigner is irresistable to far too many TAs and school leaders jacking themselves at any opportunity.

What other possible explanation? Martin will tell you the only explanation is that the FTs must have even LESS status back home and be even WORSE people (meaning career, salary).

I recently did my own whirlwind tour of schools and consequently running into many foreign teachers and many of those this school year's newest arrivals and my guesstimated quick analysis might look like this:

- There was a noticable net loss overall. I want to say 10%. Not just less bodies but it seemed to me there were fewer Full-Time foreign teachers and more were casuals or looking for short term contracts.

- This year I've noticed a huge number of the leftovers from last year (or previous years) were Q-Visa 'Spouse' mostly guys married to a local Chinese woman, often with kids.

- The next class isn't really anything new but what I'd describe as primarily traveler types but NOT 'backpacker boys' either. Unlike the backpacker boys these seemed more late-20s, early 30s suburbanites who have their own money but teaching gigs are a part-time and 'grounding' thing for them and even social pursuits more than anything.

- I'm adding to that class (again not a new thing) but the younger dreamer-wanderery types who are either here to learn true Kung-Fu or 'Daoism' or are for some reason sure they will travel to Tibet and become monks. Actually I feel this group is 'new again'. I feel like I haven't seen those types for years and now suddenly again a little influx of these dreamer/spiritual questers. In fact, I actually find it a little refreshing. They aren't interested in jobs outside of extra 'journey funding'. Some or many have their own incomes from home (trust funds, blowing their college loans etc).

- Actually its probably part of the same category but 'missionaries'. including 'undercover' Mormons and Jehovahs' Witnesses but also the usual mainline evangelical types etc. These folks also don't actually care how much money they make as teachers. They are often sponsored by donations etc back home. IF anything the worse things get the more motivated they get hehe.

- This is an impossible contradiction for Chinese and Western materialists but believe it or not I actually still run into the odd foreign teacher who.. brace yourself.. actually loves teaching in China!? They genuinely just keep going because even if they hate China lifestyles or politics or the bosses they - for some inexplicable reason - they actually love kids, love the bonds and relationships they've developed, they get some great strange tickle of satisfaction when they win with a kid and these types even have stories of things like transforming a kid's confidence or counseling a uni student out of a suicide or crazy talk about loving to go to work and have 600 little kids cheering and chasing them around!?

- Finally the last group. Often made of professional teachers (yep with bonafide degrees and not only graduates but experienced teachers) but also a group made of other folks who are arriving here brand spankin' new fresh off the plane who...

... who have absolutely no idea what they are getting into. They just arrive perfectly trusting, they just simply have no real understanding of the wages vs living costs. They assume they will be in a proper high-school or university where they earn a decent salary and work as they did at home. These folks are naive.

...and they are usually gone after 3 months. I remember meeting one biology teacher from the USA who was just clearly bewildered, shocked, confused and just simply assumed (or not assumed) anything about China. A great guy btw and a truly excellent teacher. Not 6 days into it he had this look on his face like "Oh no... oh noo.. what have I done?? this is NOT at all what I expected" and I was wrong he would only last 3 months - he was back home 3 weeks later. Actually before the end of September!

Hey, this is my experience this year but that would be my overview and to my eyes I'm seeing quite a noticable change of the foreign teacher group. Its a different type here for different reasons with a different 'angle' and actually IMO its much much better. Thankfully seeing far less of Martin's stereotypes (or guys like Martin who go along with them).

Its just my guesstimate but I think this 'new type' is going to be the new look of the FT for the next 5 years but I can see where there will be less and less of them too.

#5 Parent John O'Shei - 2015-09-12
Re why worry

But you waste plenty of time bitching about the supposed same people on here, don't you?

#6 Parent John O'Shei - 2015-09-12
Re why worry

He's only a winner if he scraped through the hard landing phase and moved onto better things afterwards. Which you can do at 35; but you'd be able to suffer some pain for a year or two.

#7 Parent San Migs - 2015-09-12
Re why worry

Well I was in China a long time and never went to Thailand once, and I am still broke, but then I used what savings I had to get myself established in HK. Now fortunately I am in a better off position, but still not 100 percent.

I honestly don't understand why people think it is worthwhile to be an FT in China anymore, salaries are stagnant, and the living cost is higher, and the visa rules more difficult, and the people more hostile and xenophobic.

#8 Parent martin hainan - 2015-09-12
Re why worry

I agree.

Sitting next to the pool in your canal-side 3-bedroom in Sarasota taking three different cholesterol medications before you canvas for Trump is not for everyone.

And let's not forget that the vast majority of FTs in China are not even qualified to teach in their home country; they are certainly not sprinters on the fast track to 1% status with their Ivy League degrees. Many of them would be laborers if they had stayed home or surviving with 'careers' supervising retail or food-service.

Chinese universities that would prefer English Instructors with legitimate degrees and actual teaching credentials must make do with... well, with individuals that routinely contribute to this forum.

Everyone in China is aware that these individuals are not real teachers. Hopefully these 'FTs' are not self-deluded that they are building a career OR that they have forsaken bright opportunities in their home country's vibrant economy.

Successful, well-adjusted career-track adults in their 30s and 40s are NOT teaching English in China. They are busy with families and real careers, not bitching about China in expat bars.

#9 Parent Fifi - 2015-09-11
Re: Re why worry

I can relate to the guy with the Canadian bank account. It all depends on what you came on earth to do. For some poeple, life is a series of adventures and experiences to live fully, not a comfortable place to keep building over the years.

#10 Parent ExpatMcGee - 2015-09-11
Re why worry

I strongly agree there is a serious issue with ex-pats returning home to find there is next to nothing available for them AND actually joking aside can find themselves 'homeless' in that they may find out they have no recent references, no contacts, no verifiable company and quite serious have difficulty renting an apartment (this actually almost happened to me.. i had a real hard time).

Having said that. Its not at all unusual for me to meet ex-pats teaching in China who have banked reasonably decent money to pillow the landing back home.

The reason you very often see expats with zero (or just enough to get home + a hamburger) is very often more of their choice in living. They don't want to save, they are enjoying the income as it comes and goes. If they find out they have 3000 rmb leftover at the end of the month they choose to take that Thailand vacation. And good for them I guess.

One of the young guys i met spent every dime he made (plus anything left in his Canadian bank account) and maybe worse turned out blew his student loan money as well (so now in bad debt) and skimped home with quite seriously zero money, showed up at parents house and was just lucky to scrounge a day labourer job. Sad story? Stupid guy? Truth is he couldn't tell me the story without a big satisfied "it was worth it all" grin on his face. He saw the world, had amazing adventures, had a lifetime of memories. For him it was worth it -including living in his parents basement and cleaning up construction junk for minimum wage.

So good for him I say. He won.

Return to Index › Re why worry

Go to another board -