TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Iran
#1 Parent Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U - 2006-06-12
I don't even pay attention to that anymore

I don't pay attention to the shenanigans of US politicos these days. This is the big benefit of coming to a place like Thailand, especially if you don't know the language--you really can "tune out" and leave all that s### far behind.

I have never accepted the two-party system in the US. Never will, either. It's not really even two-party. It's two sides of the same coin. It's a con-game concocted by the elites to make people believe their votes count come election day. Yeah, the two-party system is designed to bleed off the dissent and anger of the populace and keep the quo 'status'.

One group is really getting the shaft in the US right now--the technologically unemployed. These "cast-offs" are starting to clamor for some serious government attention, as the great capitalist machine has kicked them off their economic perches. They are now in a free-fall into the permanent underclass, and they know it. They're also very, very pissed off about it.

In response, the liberal side of the elite's coin will now have to send out its politicos to surround these folks with "feel-good" group hugs, ensure some of their pet candidates win elections, and just make these people feel all giddy inside. All the while, nothing will change. This is the way it has always been. And this is the way things will always be, barring a full-scale revolution involving lots of spilled blood and a total abandonment of the one-coin, two-party (two-sides) system.

The elites in the US aren't going to go quietly.

#2 Parent Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. - 2006-06-11
Republican Pre-election Strategy - Teachers Discussion

Good thinking Reno. I was wondering the same thing, "How would the Republicans hold power again?"

Could Bush bow out early and let the vice president take over in the last months, before the next election? That has happened in a few times in parliamentry systems. I don't know if the American system allows it.
BTW, who is seen as a new Republican leader? People joke about Jeb Boosh.

#3 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-06-10
He sounds like a politician to me. - Teachers Discussion

Sounds like this guy has had a "talking to" by the clerics. The clerics are nervous the US will be launching an attack around late September/early October. This would be timing things right, considering the US mid-term elections are coming in November. Elections that may bring about the fall of the republicans (finally). An attack on the evil devil Iran may just prolong the republican reign of terror a few more years.

#4 Parent Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. - 2006-06-10
Iran Comes Back into the Fold. - Teachers Discussion

The president of Iran, Ahmadenajad, is now saying nice things now and considering the latest proposals about uranium enrichment. He is still talking tough at home for the benefit of the hardliners and yet he is flying to German to make a very friendly and public presence with the Iran soccer team. I now think this whole process has been his clever way (charade if you will) to come back into the fold of progressive and moderate nations. Iran may open up slowly now and he has given his critics at home nothing to attack. If this is so, Bravo! I underestimated him.

#5 Parent Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U - 2006-06-09
The US elites want the illegals gone - Teachers Discussion

The US elites have apparently decided that it's time to start showing illegal aliens the door back to their home countries. This is because of the slow downward spiral of the number of jobs in the US. Yes, as more and more people get thrown out of work because of technological unemployment, those people are going to shove those below them down the job ladder. Those at the bottom are going to start wanting to do the work those illegals are currently doing real soon.

I see this thanks to Jeremy Rifkin's awesome book "The End of Work". It's scary stuff. Everytime I think about going back to the US, I remember what is in this book and say to myself "Hold on."

#6 Parent The Arrogant One - 2006-06-08
An all-too-apparent antagonism - Teachers Discussion

As a general rule, social intercourse with foreigners has not been the easiest task to accomplish, especially when there are language and deep-seated cultural barriers to consider. Personally speaking, having been reared in the New York-Philly area, I became familiar with many phases of the alien presence fairly early in the game. Even as a child, I took note of the various accents and was soon able to identify a persons origin from the way they pronounced words in English. Of course, that particular skill did little to assist me in being equally knowledgeable of their temperament. Quite to the contrary, this was an entity I had to learn through experience in the rles of schoolmate, neighbor and later in the arts and commerce. But, as I was growing up, it was obvious that these people were different those World War II refugees coming from the Nazi occupation and death camps of Europe. But, following a good ten years of self-imposed social avoidance, those of us who considered ourselves native Americans began to accept the presence of these poor souls whose only desire was to escape tyranny, work, watch their children grow, and help our country grow. But, since those days, we have had scads of other nationalities and cultures joining us as both refugees and invitees. And, like those unfortunates of the Post-World War II era, its been no picnic for them to achieve equality in the eyes of those who consider themselves as native Americans. And what the hell is this native business all about anyway? Check any so-called native-American family history and youll note the greater majority of these cannot trace more than two or three generations (say 125 years) in this country! Ironically, the only ones to have any sort of native claim are those whose ancestors occupied teepees and reared papooses to inherit tribal affairs. Of course, such American natives were eventually driven to extinction by the conquering White Man.

When I later embarked upon my career in Music and commenced my worldly travels, I was initially offered a position as a TOEFL instructor with a fairly large school in Asia. Now I was the alien and, likewise, not everyone open-mindedly accepted me, despite the fact they had invited me to work for them. HA! What irony. Here I was in a land supposedly a friend of the USA where I was forced to receive epithets like War monger and Capitalist pig plus a few other classics. But, was I really able to separate such deportment from that of my own countrymen? Not really. They visualized me with the same skepticism as we do most foreigners. But, when I finally began to understand the ways of the world, I learned how to make friends with people, began to trust, and was trusted. Later, when I performed with the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra, I truly began to understand Jewish culture. As a typical New York goy", my earlier affinity for Judaism, stopped short at bagels, cream cheese, and lox, while I harbored no appreciation for the innumerable Jewish contributions to world society that is, until which time I fell in love with and eventually wedded a lovely Israeli lass of Austrian decent. That was when I truly entered my course in tolerance. Yet, when I later returned to the States, I found that many of my old buddies and colleagues were referring to me as Alex the Jew-lover! What is my point? Its merely that ethnic, racial and religious prejudice is a normal part of life on this planet. Its here to stay and, likewise, is war.

What you say Rheno, in your erudite summarization of the current political scenario between Asian and the USA. is quite true. But, you must understand that Mr. Boosh (son of a boosh?) is but one of a multitude of buffoons weve had running the national circus. As for Israel, you shouldn't forget that it was Harry Truman (Democrat) who vowed an unyielding support for The State of Israel upon its establishment in 1948. No, there probably wont be any armed conflict between Iran and Israel in the foreseeable future, yet I find it a most uncomfortable thought that both countries should possess nuclear power. As they say in The Congo ... OY VEY!!!

The Arrogant One

#7 Parent Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U - 2006-06-08
The young Iranians like the west. - Teachers Discussion

The young Iranians like the west. These people constitute a major bloc of the population. It's the old fohggie clerics who are mucking up Iran. The Israelis are nervous because of these cats, the fat cats who just happen to be in power there.

Hopefully all this crap will clear itself up soon and no US bombs will fall anywhere in Iran. The Persians are indeed unique in the world. I'd love to go to Iran for a month or six.

#8 Parent Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. - 2006-06-07
Iran A'gin - Teachers Discussion

I want to hear more of posts like this. One thing the overseas (ESL) worker has is a more authentic perspective. It is priceless. I'll say it again. It is priceless. Folks back home really do not have the picture on focus. The Foreign Service (consulate and Embassey crowd) also have the authentic experience of overseas worklife but they are reined in and could never openly post on websites like this.

About Iran. In university in the 70s I had a friend who was Iranian. His father was an MD and general under the Shaw. Monied. I guess he became a refugee when the Iranian revolution took hold. Since then my cousin married a Canadian Iranian who is too young to have been around at the time of the revolution. She's so good to me and her family. I made a new friend on-line from Terhan and am always struck how balanced his world views are. Recently I met a family of expat Iranians in Yunnan China who, because they were of the Bahai faith, had their home and business confiscasted during the revolution. All in all I have been very impressed with the small sample of Iranians I know. There is no way we should be in conflict with these lovely cultured people.

#9 Parent Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U - 2006-06-07
Capitalism loves war. Capitalism NEEDS war. - Teachers Discussion

boosh (I refuse to spell this idiot's name correctly) didn't go to Iran because he WANTS Iran to be "naughty". Actually, boosh doesn't know enough to really be able to judge what's best. The elites, the group made up of business leaders, media moguls, and politicos, actually call the shots in the US, and these guys are begging for an excuse to bomb Tehran. And you thought the US is a democracy! Yeah, I used to think that too, until I got smart.

I hope I don't sound anti-semetic. Believe me when I say I have no problems with the average Israeli, but a lot of what is going on regarding the US vs Iran situation is REALLY Israel vs Iran.

The US invaded Iraq is to ensure Iran has no straight-line road to Tel-Aviv. US forces sitting between Israel and Iran ensure Iran isn't going to be invading Israel anytime soon. And if Iran gets "the bomb", it could very well start building more bombs, both the big ones that sit on top of missiles and the smaller ones that fit on the tips of artillery shells.

The invasion of Iraq has also helped ensure US multinational oil companies have control over that country's vast oil reserves. This will bring high profits for those companies when countries like China or India come calling to Iraq for oil. Yeah, those countries will have to pay Exxon's price or get their oil from Chavez. Considerning Venezuela could never meet China's demand for oil alone means those countries will be forced to buy from Exxon and pay Exxon's price. Brillant move. We back in the west have been led to believe the invasion of Iraq has been about establishing democracy in Iraq.

Rubbish. Just like always, the US has invaded a country to "liberate" it as a ruse for its true motives.

Burma's leaders are as authoritarian as Saddam ever was. If a country ever needed democracy, Burma does. And Burma would be an easy country to "take down", yet I see no troop transports loading up ready to invade Burma. That's no surprise. There's no oil under Rangoon.

Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. - 2006-06-06
Iran

I think I just figured it out last night after Condalisa Rice's latest response. (Sorry, don't know how to spell her name.)
Iran is behaving very logically. They are in the nutcracker between Afghanistan and Iraq and naturally feeling threatened. What do they do???? build a bomb for defence but lie about it.

If they do this quietly they might get hit quietly so they announce everything with bravado on the world stage. Seems to me that was a smart thing to do, but it shows weakness. I'm betting they'll compromise while talking tough to their own media/citizens. Put on a nice show.

The squeeze for oil is on. Everyday is more of the same on TV. $72 a barrel. Am I going to buy a car? No.

Personally I think Bush failed to grasp the moment. He could have flown to Tehran and put his arm around their president and shocked the whole world with his speech of World brotherhood and Sisterhood. He could have closed the 30 year wound between America and Iran. He could have announced 10,000 university scholarships for Iranian students in America. He doesn't have it in him. Pity. If a nobody went to Iran it would anybody listen? John Lennon we really need you back here.

Return to Index › Iran

Go to another board -