TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Employment Opportunities for non-native English speaker / CELTA certified teacher
#1 Parent Twice Shy - 2015-10-03
Employment Opportunities for non-native English speaker / CELTA certified teacher

Don't get too excited about CELTA. Any TEFL certification will do usually. But get at least the 60 hour variety. As far as your non-native concern as long as you speak clearly with proper pronunciation and you can be understood it's fine. Native speakers are preferred but there's a serious shortage of teachers right now so the emphasis is on speaking clearly. Please refer to a post regarding the documents you need for job seeking. Search "the five things only" on this site and read it well. Also whoever starts emailing you do your DUE DILIGENCE. Use search engines to gather information on the recruiter or school to avoid getting hurt or in a bad school. Peace.

Patricia - 2015-10-03
Employment Opportunities for non-native English speaker / CELTA certified teacher

hi everyone,

I am interested in pursuing a career teaching English as a TESOL teacher, and am looking into a CELTA certification.

A French native and now a naturalized US citizen, I have been living in the US for the past 14 years, have two BA degrees including one from a UK University, and was Director of Content Marketing for the last two years. I would consider myself near-native (with the occasional mixup in colloquial expressions). I am about to start volunteering at our local adult community center to help non-native speakers, which would give me some hands-on teaching experience (hopefully).

My concern is about being able to find employment abroad as a TESOL teacher since I am not a native English speaker.

From your experience, how often is being a native Speaker a requirement for a job? I am checking job posts to get an idea as well but first-hand feedback would be appreciated. I am very keen on getting certified and believe I could be a good teacher, but I don't want to spend the time and money if there is little chance in getting a position.

Positions could be anywhere in the world, from Asia to Latin America & Africa.

Thanks in advance

Patricia

Return to Index › Employment Opportunities for non-native English speaker / CELTA certified teacher

Go to another board -