TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Those FTs most suitable for mainland China
#1 Parent HerpidtyDerp - 2015-10-23
Re Those FTs most suitable for mainland China

I want to agree.

Generally speaking and for some reason I can't explain, Canadians seem to be especially good at submerging into different cultures, rolling with the flow and will try and justify and even explain away problems while maintaining their classic polite natures.

And of course, having said that, I've sure met some of the passive-aggressive ones who are prone to 'sino-rage' because of their needs and expectations of fairness.

Australians do seem to have a special problem with their biggest douchebags somehow being the ones traveling around being obnoxious, loudmouths, a peculiar sort of arrogance. I don't actually believe Australians on the whole are this way. Its just something about the ones showing up in China. The OP is right, know-it-all smug loudmouths who triple the obnxious factor with a single beer. I cannot believe they represent Australia. Its just something like how the most obnoxious Mainlanders are the same who love stampeding Hong Kong I think.

For some comical reason it seems in every city I always see a group of young sexpat, beer chugging dumbfucks annoying loudmouths and like a 'formula' there seem to be 2 Eastern Europeans, an Irishman, a German or two, an American and the German with the tightest clothes will be in a race with the Australian (theres always one Aussie douche) but to see who's the biggest loudmouth. It seems the Aussie always comes out on top as the biggest loudest fight-picking shithead King of the group yes lol

#2 Parent Caring - 2015-10-07
Re Three things FTs have a right to expect

Contracts and local assistance do not nearly cover the conditions FTs have to cope with in China. The fake roles that FTs have to fill in, the poor local management practices that they have to deal with daily or the local expectations of the education are as important as the A, B and C mentioned. The compromising positions FTs are often put into in this country ought to be looked at more completely than it has on this forum. FTs, who are right for positions on mainland China, are mostly the ones that get married or find opportunities to do some sort of business in the country; or, the ones that have a really thick skin rather than the ones who are mostly interested in the education. Singling out one foreign nation's citizens is as arogant as said and perhaps as discriminatory however, since, I suppose, we all come from civilized nations.

#3 Parent Twice Shy - 2015-10-07
Three things FTs have a right to expect

I find it extremely arrogant and ignorant that you would say Americans have high expectations when coming to China. As an American who has been teaching in China for a while now I've only met a few "high-maintenance" foreigners. Mostly older Americans who have some sense of entitlement; but this has been few and far between. I've also met foreigners from other countries who meet the same criteria. Also your comment regarding Australians speaks of the stupidity it was made with. I have many very good friends who are still helping me now from down under. Yes some are faux friends but there is no monopoly of that behavior in ANY culture. EVERY FT has three things they should reasonably expect:

A) The job agreed to is the job they arrive to facilitate; NOT we'll find you a job the one we told about doesn't exist.
B) The salary in the contract is what is paid with no skimming, scamming, or skirting of the contract details.
C) Local help when necessary. An FT is exactly that: a person foreign to local services and availabilities.

Most of the time the last one is of no issue. However I've also had to deal with Chinese persons ASSIGNED to help the FTS who are so lazy they wouldn't make a simple phone call or send a text. The attitude is: "figure it out for yourself". I find that insane and extremely ignorant. A foreign person who is "sponsored" to a western country is given all of the help necessary WHEN necessary.

You commented on how Canadians are exemplary in their behavior. Buh? I know one teacher personally who constantly screams at his students and call them and I quote: "Bit--es, c--ts, a--h-les" and other expletives that are not TOLERATED in other cultures. This person is a great person OUTSIDE of the classroom but a horror inside. The behavior of Canadians I've observed in Canada and in China mimics that of the Asian culture: "If you have something I can use, take from you, or give me an advantage great otherwise I have no use for you". I've observed cronyism, cliquism, and instant US against YOU even in non-competitive or what should have been completely homogeneous work environments.

I've seen fake stories created about non-Canadian teachers, out-right lies, back-stabbing, and posturing for no reason other than personal power gain or self interest. This is all wonderfully Chinese. I don't like attacking cultures but I also despise ignorant, un-thought through, un-washed, and un-intelligent spoutings about a people or persons. Peace.

#4 Parent Been There - 2015-10-06
Re: Those FTs most suitable for mainland China

It is my experience that Americans have a hard time adapting to the upside down order of things: Like someone said in this thread, their sense of exceptionalism clashes with the materialistic cynicism of Chinese bosses.

I don't know what would make Aussies "repellent" to adaptation. Do they feel the same sense of exceptionalism that Americans feel?

Make no mistake, I would go for Americans and Aussies any time. But when they go to China to teach for 6 to 10-12 months... shouldn't they be ready to adapt ("it's those who adapt who survive")? I can understand the missionary types, even Americans, who subdue their egos to a "higher" goal and in the process, sell their soul to materialistic bosses. But what state of mind brings the run of the mill American? No enough jobs in America? Wants to "give" his knowledge of the English language or wants to make a difference in a developing country, like another poster wrote? What is your deep motivation?

#5 Parent martin hainan - 2015-10-06

In the past, I've expressed my admiration of China in this forum: I am very happy living here.

I also have worked with many foreign teachers, certainly more than fifty of them, in my many years of teaching in China.

Having said all of that, China is a nation characterized by a unitary racial identity, an ancient powerful culture, a pervasive proactive government, and an historic parochial fear of the 'other'. Living here is unlike living in any Western country. You may gradually 'fit-in', but you will never 'blend-in'. You will never be Chinese.

Perhaps you may one day become an Australian or Canadian or a citizen of the United States or England. I've worked with FTs from all of those countries and, in my own non-scientific appraisal, I've observed that U.S. citizens have had the greatest difficulty of adapting to life in China. Perhaps this is because my U.S. countrymen often have a faith in American Exceptionalism honed by our shoddy education system and corporate media. Our ignorance of the world is epic and ultimately tragic.

Living in China, even for a year or two, is not for everyone. If you arrive eager to "donate" your skills and knowledge to a "third-world" country, you will surely be lamenting your decision. If you dive in, expecting to struggle and gasp for breath, it will likely be an amazing experience.

#6 Parent Laowaiguoren - 2015-10-06

China ends up getting to even the most patient and open minded people with enough time.
The place is depressing, living in a grayish concrete hell and being singled out on a normal basis.
Even when you speak the language, you are still a transient outsider to most of the locals.
The money centered society where anything that's not profitable is being crushed.
The impossibility to project yourself into the future, to make plans, because of the visa system.
I've seen naturally optimistic fellas turning into depressed nihilists after a few years in China.

Ron - 2015-10-06
Those FTs most suitable for mainland China

Having taught in China for a few years, I have met FTs from all over the world.
I have noticed those who can accept the culture readily while behaving in an examplary manner are Canadians.
By contrast, those who should not have come here are Aussies. They are usually loud know-alls who constantly gripe about unimportant issues. Those from Sydney are the worst of all.
Just my take. What do you all think? I reckon most of you will agree with me.

Return to Index › Those FTs most suitable for mainland China

Go to another board -