TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Beware of Han Bao Electronics (Sandy)--Job in Quanzhou - Teachers discussion
#1 Parent Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U - 2006-06-28
My days here could be numbered.... - Teachers Discussion

Robin, thanks for the post. My bad, bro. I just skimmed through your post about the books you've written. The truth is, I don't have the time to really read any "longer" posts here given my schedule, so I have to make do. Skimming works most of the time given my full-time teaching load (I'm teaching 23 hours this semester) and all the prep work it entails.

My schedule isn't the only thing tugging at me to quit coming to this website. I have a colleague who arrived about 2 months ago from South Korea, and he's daily trying to convince me that coming to websites like this are just a waste of time. He's probably correct.

As far as Thai beaches go, it depends on your taste. If you like "westernized" locations, you should check out Pattaya or Phuket. I prefer quiet, secluded beaches that aren't covered with hordes of white faces, so beaches down Krabi way suit me. I've thought about building a house in Krabi Province, but most of it is so isolated I'd have to have electric lines run for several miles in some of the spots. It'd be this or get a large generator and feed it daily with diesel.

#2 Parent Robin Day - 2006-06-25
Misconception Rheno, Korea, China and Japan - Teachers Discussion

Rheno, misconception....I don't write ESL books. God forbid! As you say there's been nothing new since 1900, ha ha. I write books and notes about plants and natural living, sometimes foods with an Italian friend. You must have learned a lot in Thailand. I envy that. If I go to spend year in Thailand (retired with a beach) where would be the best place to park myself?

I came to China because I could not stomach another contract in Korea and wanted to look around. The schools in Korea are all the same in the short run. The conformity is deadening. Arrival in China was a February shock but I can say after 4 months that I have settled in and am really enjoying the hot weather and a new social life now that I can get out on the town. China has a lot of niches, a lot of thing to see and do (interest in archaeology and art history). When I first arrived I saw a lot of similarities with Korea. That age old Confucianism, follow-the-leader and feudal/peasant thinking.... so sick of it. No wonder the Americans brushed off Royalty. Now I understand but it took decades. China now is very much a Post-Mao culture and there is a lot of looking ahead and looking back. Many of my students seem depressed. Maybe I am wrong? I learn a lot from Chinese TV. It should be seen in the West. I can understand a lot by reading between the lines.

Rheno in Japan? I am curious about teaching in Japan but I also see it as an even more a closed society than parts of Korea. I think it can be v. lonely there. I don't speak much Japanese and got comfortable in Korean, so I stayed. My short times in Japanese bars were great. Some really friendly guys there. I think young Japanese have a lot of confidence, feel secure in who they are. They are generous and me in return. Outside Japan the Japanese are hard to get to meet and know.

P.S. Anybody interested in SE Asian (and Polynesian) historial, art and anthropological and lingusitic studies join austric@yahoogroups.com or see the big archives at austronesian@yahoogroups.com. SE Asia is the real mother culture, not China, not Egypt and not the Middle East. Agriculture goes back into the ice age at least 27,000 BC.

#3 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-06-23
Between you, Robin, and my new colleague here...... - Teachers Discussion

Thanks, Robin, for the info. Finally I got an answer to that question out of somebody besides a coworker here. It's always good to get second opinions.

As far as reading your books, I haven't done that, at least not yet. But, I'm a born skeptic, and I'll be honest. When I DO read your books, I'll go in with the attitude that there have been no new ideas in TESOL since like 1900. Do your books break new ground, Robin Day, B.Sc., M.Sc., or do your books simply reaffirm old, established theories? If you ARE avante-garde, let me know where I can get copies of your books.

What you talk about in your post I've already heard about from a new colleague here. He just bolted SK (I think he finished his last contract--he didn't do a runner) after 12 years teaching there. He has a master's in education and has railed on many topics in SK in the two months or so he's been here, so I've gotten an earful as you can imagine.

Yeah, I've already heard about the fragile ego of the male in SK, the education system that seems to "hold back" learners, the textbook racket (it's not about education, it's about business--just like in Thailand), and the SK capitalists becoming ultra-ruthless the past decade or so.

He also just told me what you told me about my own situation--my being barred from SK depends on whether or not my ex-boss filed a complaint against me. If I AM barred, I won't worry about it one damn bit. Maybe I'll check into Japan or South America later. Maybe I'll get a job in L.A. teaching ESL. Maybe I'll forget about the industry. It's all up to me, which is exactly how I want it.

Take it easy. And thanks again for your info.

#4 Parent Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. - 2006-06-21
Rheno Rheno Rheno

You probably create some of your own Hard Knocks, being a tad bombastic. I got out of the hogwans after a year because I did have degrees. Does that chafe you? Too bad. Read some of my text books. This is a website for teachers. I went on to highschools, universities and college jobs. Rheno you will run into the same cow dung everywhere. Don't expect much honesty from admins. You are a foreigner, a way-guk, and Koreans are jealous of your good job and tend to blame many of their problems on foreigners. Now it's the Americans and foreign workers but they also blame the Chinese and Japanese. Korea let the Japanese take over their country without a single gunshot of protest (similar to take over of Manchuria). Much of the Korean army had bows and arrows, the Japanese modern rifles. The upper class, rich, feudal and Neo-Confucian had the main population in a state of poverty, ignorance, total passivity. It suited them. They had every thing they wanted. They did not want the peasants armed and trained. The poor sharecroppers had no access to foreign medicine, they wore straw sandals in winter (snow) and scratched their infected mosquito bites all summer..no screens or window glass. Japan lived under a similar feudal isolation a bit earlier and the fact that they modernized first led to their colonial asperations. They emulated Europe which was pushing into all areas of the Pacific (still occupy many islands).

Rheno the college and university jobs are better than the hogwans but they too have become hogwanized. You will have a slightly better work load but they will boot you out if you don't learn boot-licking, fast. It's the Korean way. Take your money, then leave.

Regarding your not knowing if you are barred from working a new contract in Korea: You and your new employer have to contact Immigration, nobody else. They will tell you if your last employer laid a complaint against you. Often they do not bother so there is no record. You can protest a complaint, if you want to do that, and demonstrate that your contract was violated by the employer. I recall you saying you had been deceived about teaching kid classes. Many colleges require the same kid teaching. It's a money making thing for Korean colleges. It's all about money not education.

#5 Parent Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U - 2006-06-22
I hope that SK door is still open. - Teachers Discussion

I hope I can go back to SK. I want to keep that door open in case I want to play hop-skotch later. I want to return soon to the US, and after a break, find another job in TESOL. I don't know how long the break will be. Probably 15 years. If and when I do decide to return to the TESOL fold, I'll head to SK, assuming they still provide tickets/reimbursements. If I don't like it the second go-round, I'll then buy a cheap ticket to someplace like Singapore. A ticket I'll make sure I'll be getting reimbursed for.

#6 Parent Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. - 2006-06-21
Rheno is right: Be prepared to Leave. - Teachers Discussion

I went to Korea with the mindset that if I did not like the conditions I would leave. I came with enough $$ to do that. Most employers try to make you happy. Penalties? Barred by Immigration if you leave?? It matters not to most. Once burned few people come back to Korea.

#7 Parent Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U - 2006-06-21
That's one thing I've not been able to get out of people

Am I barred from SK FOREVER after doing my runner last year? I've heard I am. I've heard I'm not. Which is it?

Help me out here, Robin Day, Bachelor of Science, Master of Science. I may be going back up there to teach at a uni this time around. No more f####ing Hogwans for Rheno!

Rheno, Ph.D. Hard Knocks U

#8 Parent Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U - 2006-06-21
Go there first, absolutely. - Teachers Discussion

Agreed. Go to your new school before signing any contract. This means you'll be paying for your ticket up front. No problem. Simply demand any contract you sign upon arrive stipulate you'll be getting a reimbursement, preferably in a LUMP SUM. Don't go for the "I'll reimburse you at 50 bucks a month" baloney. Get it ALL at one go.

If one can't afford to buy a ticket up front, he shouldn't be going overseas to do TESOL. NEVER go overseas to teach at these schools when you're broke. Hock your car, hock your bikes, hock whatever. Buying the ticket there may be only the first ticket you'll have to buy. If you don't like your new digs, you may have to buy a second ticket OUT. It's this or being "stuck", meaning it'd be your own damn fault and you'd have no right to invite anyone to your pity party.

#9 Parent Robin Day B.Sc. M.Sc. B.Ed. - 2006-06-21
I did what Rheno suggests:reimbursement - Teachers Discussion

I did that when I first went to Korea 1996, paid my own way and got reimbursed after a month of work. The original poster and her boyfriend borrowed money (so it seems) and then got dumped on arrival in China. It could have happened to me in Korea.
I'd still be under contract and could have been barred from future jobs in Korea by Immigration had I left the school. Many teachers just don't have the money for the ticket after graduation because of student loans. I wonder how many want to borrow more money to go to an overseas job where they might be dumped? Nobody should travel if they don't have the financial resources to get out!
From what I have seem some employers are dishonest and so are some teachers. Once hired you have to help your school prosper and ride the bumps. It's a business after all.

#10 Parent Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U - 2006-06-20
True. But there's a catch, as always. - Teachers Discussion

I agree with Robin Day. Asking for a plane ticket is the way to go. Or is it?

In China, sure. In South Korea, you may have a problem. It's been nearly a year since I hotfooted it out of South Korea after a one-week stint, and I'm STILL under contract with my 'wan. Time creeps by, doesn't it? "Why are you STILL under contract with a school you haven't worked for in over 50 weeks?" you ask. Simple. I had the director of that school pay for my flight to Gimhae. You see, I got a commitment out of him, but I too had to commit. I had to sign a year-long before I got the ticket to go up there. And this is South Korea, we're talking about here. From what I understand, I had to be formally released from that commitment if I wanted to get another teaching job in SK.

Well, when I discovered my new boss was a big ol' liar, I flew off into the moonlight. I never bothered to get the release. Why didn't I bother? Because that dumbass expected me to pay him back for the flight to Gimhae. He had me by the 'nads, or so he thought. In a way, he did, and even still does. However, Come July 6, I will FINALLY be released from his clutches and will be able to get another teaching job in SK. This time, I'll pay for the ticket up front and get a reimbursement later. I'll demand any school provide me with that reimbursement before signing any contracts. This dog learned that lesson.

At least I THINK I'll be able to get another job in SK. Who knows. Being as I didn't get that formal release, I may be barred from SK forever. If so, I wouldn't care one iota. From what my colleague here is telling me about SK, I wonder if I ever want to go back there.

If you're going to SK, get a reimbursement. Don't get the ticket up front, unless you can get it without signing a contract first.

#11 Parent Robin Day - 2006-06-20
DB I agree with your Plan - Teachers Discussion

I have advised a lot of people to do what you suggest, going over to Korea on a tourist visa and then looking around for prospects. This does not work in some Arabic countries as they do not offer tourist visas. They just started in Kuwait last year. The other reason why our advise is dismissed is that most new ESL teachers want something they feel is certain, a fixed address. They are terrified of flying into a country, like China or Korea, speaking none of the language and looking for a cheap place to stay and looking for a school. That's daunting.

The second part about coming on a tourist visa is that you still have to leave the country to get the work visa. In Korea you just take the short trip to Japan but this too to has to be paid and you enter another foreign language, Japanese. Daunting again.

No, we are not obliged to stay with a school that provides very poor or deceptive living conditions even if they do pay for the flight. Consider the contract broken.

#12 Parent DB - 2006-06-20
Re: flights - Teachers Discussion

My advice runs contrary to Robin's. If an employer pays for your flight, you will be commited, either by your own sense of honor and/or duty, or by a contract. I've read here the advice of others who agree with Robin about this, but from my own experience and that of others I feel much more comfortable about paying my own way and checking out the whole scene thoroughly before making a commitment. If I don't like it, I can move on and with my tourist visa in hand I can seek out a suitable position.
Now having said that, I would agree that if the employer sends you pictures and well documented proof of the schools willingness to hire you and care for you properly - visas and etc., then go for it. But the pictures should clearly show you the apartment you will live in (inside and out), the computer you will be given to use, the school and if possible one of the classrooms.It wouldn't hurt to request some recent photos of the neighborhood and city you will be living in.
Remember though, if they attempt to lure you by glowing descriptions of the city you will work in and how great the school is and they refuse to provide you with documentation and pictures, you are probably being scammed. Many teachers have ended up in garbage heap cities and rat infested apartments while counting the days until their contract expires while teaching unappreciative, non-motivated students in non-heated or air conditioned classrooms. And oh yes, there may be up to 70 students in those classrooms and you'll be lucky if 10% are attentive or interested enough to make you feel like your efforts are at least partially appreciated.
I've been here for three years now and I'm happy to say that I enjoy it. I enjoy my students generally and I've learned to find the right schools or universities to teach at. But I've had to pay my dues. Thus my advice to others here in this forum. Just because I suffered through it, doesn't mean I want others to.
Take the time to do your RESEARCH!

#13 Parent Robin Day - 2006-06-20
Make the Employer Pay for the Flight or No GO - Teachers Discussion

Another classic example why you need to make the employer pay for the flight or you just don't go to a foreign country. Make them show some committment. It is standard business proceedure to expect give and take. Here is what happened: You were trusting, green or naive, and now you are burned, angry and wanting revenge.

#14 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-06-19
Agreed. And some of us already know we have spines going in. - Teachers Discussion

Nice post, Slayer. I agree completely. Some of us know up front going in we have spines, so it doesn't take long before we're back on planes if we're getting ripped off/lied to/cheated.

I personally equate myself with a 150-lb police doberman today. A doberman who'll lay a mushroom cloud today and maybe, maybe ask questions tomorrow if he runs into liars or thieves.

#15 Parent Dragon Slayer - 2006-06-18
Alex Jade or Alex Wimp - Teachers Discussion

Flora Xu can only be a slave driver if others behave like a slaves. It's called enabling behaviour. No pay no work. Still no pay? Say goodbye to that computer. It's mine now, I earned it. Some vertebrates fight back when they find their spine.

#16 Parent Alex Jade - 2006-06-18
Flora Xu is a slave driver - Teachers Discussion

Flora never pays anyone what she says she'll pay them not even americans...the americans she does lure into her trap get whored out for her avertising needs and then she doesnt pay them...

#17 Parent Francis Tang - 2006-06-05
need help to get a teaching position - Teachers Discussion

I am an Australian citizen who was borned in Malaysia of Chinese ancestry. I am looking for a teaching position in Xiamen or in other coastal cities along the Eastern or Southern region of China. I had a TESOL certificate and possessed a Master Degree of Business in International Marketing from an University in Sydney. I acquired both qualifications in 2005, but I have no experience in teaching.

At 65 years of age, I am still very healthy and fit(actively participating in golf games,soccer games and swimming).I am not sure whether it was due to my age or because I did not match the description "native English Speaking" person that I had not been successfully with all my applicationds. Can anyone help?

#18 Parent Alex Wu - 2006-02-01
Beware of Capital Language School in Zhongshan! - Teachers discussion

Hi, Taurus, you are not alone. This happened to me, too. One in Zhongshan, Guangdong, named Capital Language School emailed me with all the promising words to go over. Once I was there, in less than a month, other than teaching, they also wanted me to take over some administrative duties to which I refused,(Because I was emigrated from China and capable in handling). They paid me only a fraction of the regular rate to foreigners, (46 rmb per class, totally a little more than 9 hundred). The principal was Flora Xu, her husband Damon. So, next time, don't trust any of the private schools!

#19 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-02-01
My latest English lesson--a series and a bulleted list - Teachers discussion

A series:
I will never go overseas nearly broke, I will never go overseas nearly broke, I will never go overseas nearly broke, nor will I ever go overseas nearly broke.

A bulleted list:
I fully understand that IF I go overseas to be a TEFL Tee-chur, my new boss may turn out to be a liar, and I may need money to
*get out of there
*get out of there
*get out of there
*get out of there

taurus - 2006-01-31
Beware of Han Bao Electronics (Sandy)--Job in Quanzhou - Teachers discussion

Dear teachers,

Please beware of the following ad posted on tefl.net: http://www.tefl.net/esl-jobs/esl-jobs.pl?noframes;read=3999

They have also placed ads elsewhere on the net, asking for a couple preferrably.

This ad is placed by a very rich lady named Sandy, who is trying to hire private English teachers for herself, her kids and family. My boyfriend and I had already made arrangements with her to work for her in Quanzhou before we came to China. The reason why we bought our plane tickets to come to Fujian province was because she had already agreed to hire us. She was very eager to meet us, and even urged us to come as soon as possible. This was back in October 2005, and at the time she used a Canadian (who was also her employee) to recruit teachers for her. They promised us a nice salary and free housing, including an end-of-year bonus.

I had already arrived in Xiamen, where she said she would meet us, and then take us to Quanzhou. I arrived a couple days earlier, and was waiting for my boyfriend to fly over when she suddenly decided that she no longer wanted to hire foreign teachers. Just like that. When my boyfriend arrived in Xiamen, we had to stay in hotels and spend a lot of money. We would not have even come to China if we knew she would do this to us. How can someone do this to foreigners and just shrug it off, expecting to get away with it? She caused us to spend so much money we didn't have, and we have been struggling to get by ever since. Jobs in Xiamen are few and far between, and none of them can grant you working visas except for a few universities that are already saturated with foreign teachers.

I wish there was some way to "repay" her for her thoughtlessness. :(
We hope none of this ever happens to anyone else, and at the same time, I would like to warn everyone about this Sandy lady and the company she works for (Han Bao Electronics).

Happy Spring Festival.

Return to Index › Beware of Han Bao Electronics (Sandy)--Job in Quanzhou - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -