TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re Character Dictionar of the Most Frequently Used 3,500 Chinese Characters
#1 Parent John O'Shei - 2015-10-27
Re Character Dictionar of the Most Frequently Used 3,500 Chinese Characters

China, for instance, is all about control of people that are unable to change much and about test driven educational system which directly and indirectly corrupts young learners of English. Many, if not most, FTs aren’t supposed to interfere in the educational process of English and they only are motivating and marketing tools here. Suggesting that FTs use the local language as a help in the students’ learning process is hugely counterproductive and preposterous. English speaking nations have enough people that cannot communicate in the language well enough and China has enough of its own English language teachers and students that can only recite what they have learnt. Let’s not cater to those.

You wrote that very beautifully with lots of great points but I think that what you really mean is:

"Let's just leave things as they are, say 'This is China,' so we can be lazy, not put in any additional work or allow any Chinese people to actually expect us to improve things."

No wonder China attracts some pretty shitty foreign 'experts'. Foreign experts that are supposed to help the country advance further, but in reality, those 'experts' just love China so much because they know that they can always do a lazy, shoddy job and get away with it.

There's cultural understanding and acceptance; but then there's just using it as an excuse.

#2 Parent Dave - 2015-10-26

China, for instance, is all about control of people that are unable to change much and about test driven educational system which directly and indirectly corrupts young learners of English. Many, if not most, FTs aren’t supposed to interfere in the educational process of English and they only are motivating and marketing tools here. Suggesting that FTs use the local language as a help in the students’ learning process is hugely counterproductive and preposterous. English speaking nations have enough people that cannot communicate in the language well enough and China has enough of its own English language teachers and students that can only recite what they have learnt. Let’s not cater to those.

I agree with this completely.

#3 Parent Caring - 2015-10-26

Students’ native language in the process of learning English mostly, if not always, hampers their communication in English. Whether it is speaking, reading, listening or writing does not matter; what is important is that those students, whose active and passive English vocabulary is basically corrupted with their native tongue, aren’t able to proficiently use the, to them, new language; that because they keep translating back into and from their first language for the reason that they have been taught to do so.

Furthermore, some psychologists suggest such people that use another language, aside their first tongue, in their lives on, are affected to a great extent. The constant switching of their communication tools puts a strain on them that they often are unable to cope with. Although there are plenty of behavioral disorders around the world, the ones that come from the multi-lingual people who haven’t mastered another language well enough is of a concern to the doctors that I am referring to here.

Learning another language is easier when one is young, more difficult when one is old. However older people that learn English need their first language to assist them, the young ones most certainly do not need such a help. In fact, kids learn their mother tongue without any other language interferences, and so should young students at primary or secondary school levels. Otherwise, our world’s bilingual/trilingual population will be worryingly stressed and/or hard to communicate with.

Some countries educational systems are bound to follow their governments and/or their traditions. Their leaders fear changes and perhaps inability to deal with different attitudes. Moreover, they are comfortable with their own people, who they pay less and control more, as the local unemployment may be reduced. This wouldn’t be as bad, if the local educators knew their roles adequately enough; however, it is quite sad in some nations where the language is far away from English and where their cultural habits interfere in the communication in another language (English in this example).

#4 Parent martin hainan - 2015-10-26

There is much academic debate concerning the teacher's use of a student's native language in the process of second language acquisition. My personal opinions on this subject are certainly less valuable than the linguistic research that you can locate on this debate.

But that was not the point of my post. The language teacher's personal experience learning a second language, be it Italian in college or French while living in Paris (or as SB suggests, learning Chinese in China) acts to inform the teacher about the process that his students must struggle with while learning English as a foreign language in China. I believe that this is crucial insight into second language acquisition. Reading about or watching golf on TV will not enable you to play the game, and certainly will not qualify you to teach it. Actually learning a second language as an adult, actually playing golf, WILL give you skill acquisition awareness, valuable if you wish to be a better teacher.

My students' 'poor' spoken English is accompanied by 'poor' listening skills, somewhat adequate reading comprehension and rudimentary writing skills.

But these English skills that they possess in many ways exceed my abilities to communicate within their, or any other, second language.

And it's quite likely that several of my students have native Chinese language skills that are superior in comparison to my own native English language skills.

My evaluation of student performance is always tempered by this realization and by the difficulty I personally have learning and utilizing Chinese.

#5 Parent Caring - 2015-10-26

Martin, I can only agree with you, especially since you have put it in such a fine way as you did. However, the OP, according to his previous entry on another language related topic, cares little about the locals' declining English level. If a FT's job is to use English as the language of instruction, another language may be an obstacle in the process. Anyhow, we all are prepared to teach English with English and expected to use it only, are we not?

#6 Parent martin hainan - 2015-10-25

Learning a second language should be MANDATORY for every ESL teacher.

Understanding the difficulty of and techniques necessary for second language learning is critically important if the ESL teacher is to successfully assist his students in their learning process.

An EFL teacher in China whose only language is his native English can neither appreciate nor understand his students' struggle to acquire English. Much of the disdain that FTs seem eager to cast upon their students' language learning abilities would be ameliorated if the teacher had experienced his own difficulties acquiring a second language.

Just as Kobe Bryant or Tiger Woods would likely be poor teachers of their craft given their natural abilities, native language ability is inadequate preparation for teaching second language acquisition. If you have not learned a second language as an adult, you are unable to understand this limitation and are also unable to critique this proposition.

#7 Parent Caring - 2015-10-25

"Character Dictionar" for esl teachers? I see that some care for learning Chinese and living in the country more than assisting Chinese to learn English. The eslteachersboard where "e" stands for English vs cslteachersboard where "c" represents Chinese may be an interesting movement. :)

Return to Index › Re Character Dictionar of the Most Frequently Used 3,500 Chinese Characters

Go to another board -