TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Three of the big, annoying mindsets I must fight in TESOL - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent Frank - 2006-07-01
Running... for our sanity! - Teachers Discussion

Ive been teaching English in China since 2003. I came here with university teaching experience in the U.S. While I enjoy teaching English to Chinese students (most days), Ive had numerous problems with school administrators or training school managers. I try my best these days not to sign contracts. This is only possible for me because I have taught in one city mainly, and I have a high reputation with students. I have quit a number of jobs (contract or no contract) not because of a better opportunity but due to intolerable working conditions which I have discussed ad nauseam with school leaders prior to my departure.

Last year, after a brief return to the U.S., I made the grave mistake of accepting a position in a very different area of China (for reasons Ill spare you) at a public school. I thought I had asked all the right questions (by phone from the U.S.) -- even talking at length with the foreign teacher currently working there. However, the realities of the job, the dwelling, the classes, the small city, etc. were far from what I had expected.

The man who had hired me (whom the students felt had cheated them and their parents with guarantees of future study abroad) and the foreign teacher (who had his own agenda) had both greatly misled me about the real situation. After five weeks of serious problems with the apartment, problems with previously-agreed upon reimbursements, student load, etc., I decided to get the hell outta there! I did my first (and only, to date) runner and I dont regret it for a second!

It was obvious that nothing was going to improve there, and that remaining in such a bad situation would only be a test of my endurance and tolerance for exploitation. Sometimes running is our only option for survival (on several levels). I agree with some previous posters that argue the loyalty issue is ridiculous, because the very people that demand you be loyal are the ones who would likely be the first to jump ship for something else.

In fact, I tried to meet with the true headmaster of the school to discuss the situation, but he would not meet with me. I found out later that he was taking bribes from the guy who was charging each of my students 4000RMB to be in my classes (one class had 66 students, another had 72, and another had 78!)

Also, when I have left jobs in the past, I find that my students are usually very forgiving and supportive (from email messages I have received after departure). They often understand quite well problems we are facing with unscrupulous bosses because they have been victimized by these people as well.

#2 Parent Robin Day - 2006-06-25
I agree with Rheno's clarification - Teachers Discussion

I agree with what you say. If I am in a dead end job and a good chance comes up I will resign and move on. Best for all.

Right again about older kids doing the Work that all excellence in all fields requires. That is something they all have to face, or not.

#3 Parent Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U - 2006-06-25
Agreed, Bob. - Teachers Discussion

Nice post, Bob. I think this guy fish referred to a deer in his previous post, and I have to say I fit that metaphor. See, deer don't just wander from patch of grass to a supposedly greener patch, they sometimes run for their lives. I see TESOL teachers as the fleeing deer. Flee when you have to, sure.

#4 Parent bob the aging loner - 2006-06-24
To do or not to do a runner. - Teachers Discussion

Hi Rheno, Fish4ESL

Nice post Rheno (doing a runner).

This idea that you are stuck in a job for an allotted amount of time because that was an agreement some time in the past is ridiculous. Dont things ever change? Arent teachers (or school owners for that matter) ever disappointed or dissatisfied? Should we punish ourselves just to do the "right thing"? Furthermore, why should you honour a contract that has not been checked and approved by a solicitor anyway? In truth it has no legal binding.

If you are going to be screwed, why not screw them first? (and dont forget to alert everyone else that the school in question is not reputable).

And Fish, can we conclude from what you said that those in other professions should never move on at short notice if a great opportunity arises? If so, you should be the one to tell them to stay put. I am sure they will bow to you and say "sorry fish, we wont try to better ourselves, we'll do the loyal thing" How restrictive on careers and personal freedom that would be.

If EFL is to be a profession, we need to weed out the bad schools or at least show that we do not tolerate them and introduce methods aimed at weeding them out. At the moment EFL has a very negative image which is mostly down to relatively large number of cowboy employers who neither care about teaching nor care about teachers. If doing a runner is one method of damaging these bad schools then it is ok by me.

#5 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-06-23
Would I even apply at your school, Robin Day, B.Sc.?

The question is would I apply at your school in the first place? It depends on the ages of your learners/"customers".

I'll say I agree 100% with you when you say that any lame-### thieves taking advantage of a school director like that should be brought to justice. Like you, I hope those dolts you speak of in your post do get taken down at the airport.

But what about the dolt directors who've reamed teachers? Do they get busted somewhere? They should. If I found myself working for one of these cats (and I HAVE), I'd definitely do a runner on his ### (and I DID). I wouldn't steal from him outright, I'd just disappear into the night (just like I did).

Also, if I'm dissatified with my job after a few months, I'm gonna start looking for a new one, contract or no contract. If I find it, well.....guess what? There's no way I'll let a great job or even a better job escape me if I want out. There are times and places for doing "the runner". My point is don't let someone convince you that it's "bad" to run in those instances.

As far as clowing goes, I've learned my lesson, thanks to my Korean Hogwan job. This was a job where I worked for a mere week. In that week I learned I don't have the patience to teach young kids. But I'm not really talking about teaching young kids when I say clown techniques are merely a last-ditch, band-aid to keep bored learners "stable" in a class for 50 minutes. I'm talking about being "required" to play the bozo role when you are teaching young adults. These "kids" are old enough to know better. They should be mature enough to know that sometimes in life, one must do "boring" things to get what he wants. If TESOL students aren't willing to do those boring things we all have to do from time to time, they should simply exit our classrooms, never to return.

So. If you have young kids at your hypothetical school, or your school is full of immature learners who need "fun and games" to keep themselves from falling asleep, I'll say you won't be hiring me. This is because I won't be applying at your school in the first place.

#6 Parent Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. - 2006-06-22
I would not hire you Rheno. - Teachers Discussion

You have several chips on your shoulders and maybe you are a bit like me, too outspoken for your own good.

1. Doing a Runner. That is what a contract is for, it binds both parties. Sure leave if the contract is broken but discuss your problems first. I just heard of a couple from the US who took off from Kyongju, Korea, after getting an advance on their salaries. Thieves, and I hope they are caught at the airport. Met several like them. They often borrow money from their mates as well.

2. Clowning/Entertaining Children
Kids are kids and they do not have long term goals. I can remember not having a concept of a week or a month let alone a career. I used to bug my mom over and over "When is Christmas coming?" because I couldn't conceive of 3 weeks. Can you remember something similar in your own past?

Kids do remember the games and fun things you do with them. They don't really understand that you are teaching English. Don't expect serious attention from a 4 or 5 year old and certainly not for an hour class. I can remember walking into a hogwan early one afternoon and seeing my little student teaching another class and another teacher the Walking (talking)Game (eslteachersboard.com 2003) I had played this with him days earlier. That was a proud moment I can tell you, and I realized the game or lesson had taken on a life of its own.

This is mostly a business dealing with children and young adults Rheno. You better teach privately, one on one anywhere you like. Be your own boss, pick and choose motivated students. We teachers don't always want to provide the short term motivation to the kids. It's extra work but it is part of the job. Mother and fathers say, "You must work hard at school", but the kid is waiting for the rest of the exhortation, the Reason Why. Telling a 4 year old she might get into a good university if she works hard is laughable.

Rheno747 - 2006-06-22
Three of the big, annoying mindsets I must fight in TESOL - Teachers Discussion

This post is mainly aimed at newbies, but anyone teaching TESOL presently can identify with it, I'm sure. I've noticed that there are three mindsets I've been fighting since getting into this. Mindsets that have been pestering me from day one at my TESOL mill. All I can say is "rage". Yeap, we all need to fight these if we want to banish them from TESOL. I find I have to fight them almost daily.

Anyway, on to the mindsets!

Dreaded Mindset #1:

"If you do a runner on a contract, you are EVIL."

Come on. The nature of TESOL almost REQUIRES we do runners on our contracts. If I sign a contract for a year at a school and find a better job that is a better fit for me three months later, am I going to ask that school to "hold" the job for me? Nope. I know they won't hold it, and shouldn't be expected to. I'll grab the job while the grabbing is good and do a runner on my current contract. No way will I sacrifice a good opportunity by doing the "right" thing and fulfilling my obligation. Don't buy into the mill and recruiter spewage that doing a runner is a "bad" thing. You are NOT going to burn in hell if you do a runner nor will doing a runner make you a more terrible person than Hitler.

Perhaps the reasons recruiters try to get you to buy into the notion that doing a runner is a bad thing is because you'll have to rely on their services more if your contracts end during 'non-hiring' periods. If you find a job you want, DO A RUNNER!

Dreaded Mindset #2:

"If a teacher's students are bored, it's the teacher's fault."

Yeah, right. I have students in my English classes who have had all kinds of teachers, great, terrible, and in between, and they STILL don't know jack after ten years studying this stuff. My kids get bored a LOT, and it's even boring teaching them. But this is because they won't study, won't practice, won't do homework, and won't buy dictionaries. I work my students hard, as I see this is the only way they will ever learn. But, alas, a typical Thai TESOL student will spend 500 bucks on a cell phone, yet won't spend 2 bucks on an English-Thai dictionary. They are bored because they don't really want to learn. If they DID want to learn English, they'd know a lot more than they do, especially after ten years of "study".

Dreaded Mindset #3:

"Clowning techniques are effective. Anyone who doesn't use them in his classroom is an inferior teacher."

Ahhh, this is probably my favorite mindset to bash.
Sorry, you "pro-clowners", but I know you're full of bullshit. Like I said in #2 above, my students have had all kinds of teachers, some of whom used the "fun and games" strategies some of you believe in so fervently. Guess what? I'm finding those students don't know anything. This kinda shoots down your "pro-clown" stance, does it not?

Clowning techniques are a band-aid approach pushed by mills to keep teachers in jobs longer; moreover,the clown approach is a desperation tactic to keep our students coming to our schools and paying tuition money. Considering our students don't really want to learn English, it's no surprise bozo techniques are pushed so hard in TESOL. Without clowning, TESOL has nothing else going for it at most schools. Don't buy into being a clown in your classrooms. If ya gotta be a clown, find another school. Your students don't want to learn.

Return to Index › Three of the big, annoying mindsets I must fight in TESOL - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -