TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › To Raoul Duke - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent Frank - 2006-07-02
Oh, good! - Teachers Discussion

Hi, Robin!

I'm glad I didn't put you off...

Ah yes, Harvey Milk (who we know was anything but milquetoast!) and religious cult dictator Jim Jones. Two very chilling events in recent American history. I hadn't made the timeline association until you mentioned it. Thanks!

#2 Parent Robin Day B.Sc. M.Sc. B.Ed. - 2006-07-02
Frank, not boring at all! - Teachers Discussion

Thanks for the info. I love this stuff.

1. I think when Fish said Harvey Milktoast he might have been thinking of Harvey Milk who was the openly gay mayor of San Francisco He was shot. This news was eclipsed by the Jim Jones mass cult killing of Americans in Guyana.

2. Most use Mickey Mouse as substite adjective for easy or child's play in this way..

"Common, it's not brain surgery, this is Mickey Mouse."

3. Do you think wimp or whimp comes from Popeye and Olive Oil's friend Whimpy? He is a great character.

4. Nimrod is described in the bible as a great hunter. Don't know how it came to be a name of ridicule. It probably just sounded stange to modern ears so was used in ridicule.

#3 Parent Frank - 2006-07-01
Sorry, but actually... - Teachers Discussion

Sorry to be a bore, but actually it is spelled:

milquetoast

From The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition:

Word History: An indication of the effect on the English language of popular culture is the adoption of names from the comic strips as English words. Casper Milquetoast, created by Harold Webster in 1924, was a timid and retiring man named for a timid food. The first instance of milquetoast as a common noun is found in the mid-1930s. Milquetoast thus joins the ranks of other such words, including sad sack, from a blundering army private invented by George Baker in 1942, and Wimpy, from J. Wellington Wimpy in the Popeye comic strip, which became a trade name for a hamburger. If we look to a related form of popular culture, the animated cartoon, we must of course acknowledge Mickey Mouse, which has become a slang term for something that is easy, insignificant, small-time, worthless, or petty.

#4 Parent The Owl - 2006-06-30
namby-pamby - Teachers Discussion

Long (and interesting) description of namby-pamby at http://www.bartleby.com/61/75/N0007500.html

#5 Parent Robin Day B.Sc. M.Sc. B.Ed. - 2006-06-30
Nincompoop: I spelled it right! - Teachers Discussion

How about mamby pamby and my dad used to mention Casper Milktoast. Was the later from early TV
or radio?

Nimrod is used like nurd sometimes but I found later in life that it is Biblical, Old Testament.

#6 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-06-29
Nice to be back... - Teachers Discussion

Thanks, Rheno. Nice to be back. I must now add broadband access to the long list of things I need in order to survive...

I don't know on the access problems. I had no problem reports from the members, and I was on the Saloon every day at least briefly.

Is it OK now? Can you tell me what was happening?

#7 Parent Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U - 2006-06-29
I had problems as well - Teachers Discussion

Raoul, I had problems last week accessing your site as well, so it's probably something on this end.

You disappeared there for a little while, R. I started thinking that maybe your site pissed off somebody there in China, and he then "paid you a visit".

Glad you're back. Glad you're not lying in a hospital in traction because you tell it like it's gotta be told.

#8 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-06-28
Accessing the Saloon - Teachers Discussion

Sorry, TC, for the slow response. I've moved to a new apartment and my internet access was seriously curtailed for a long, horrible time.

However, the site has been fine. I dunno...there may have been some brief server glitches or some such but the site is still up and mean and kicking at http://chinateachers.proboards17.com/index.cgi

If you were trying to join, that can't be done directly from the site. Please e-mail me at spamjiaozi@yahoo.com for more info.

Regards,
Raoul

#9 Parent The Owl - 2006-06-28
Words in Google - Teachers Discussion *Link*

Hi Robin: I find them in Google http://www.google.com

for example, the first entry in Google for nincompoop is:
http://www.bartleby.com/62/26/N1032600.html

#10 Parent Robin Day B.Sc. M.Sc. B.Ed. - 2006-06-28
Pollyanna? - Teachers Discussion

See, I want to know where these words come from?
How about Nambi pambi and Nincompoop? I don't even know how to spell it? Anybody know an on-like archive? I didn't get an answer from The Owl a while ago.

That was a good comment about "the other". So many have a small world view. Many Chinese think they are on their own planet called CHINA or that's how I feel some days, visiting another planet but I'm use to it, a different fish in a sea of Chinese. Look at the diversity of life in Star Wars. It's good for comparison.

#11 Parent Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U - 2006-06-28
Thanks, DB. I appreciate the support. - Teachers Discussion

Thanks, DB, I appreciate the support. Yes, this TESL/TESOL thing does seem to be a racket, complete with all the propaganda and mindsets to keep the status quo. I've noticed dissention is quashed, sure.
If one comes close to rocking the boat of the big interests in TESOL, the "guard dogs" come out attacking.

But there may be something to these guys not tolerating other paradigms in TESOL. My own TESOL paradigm would throw us all out of jobs if adapted. It involves computers, voice recognition software, recording devices, and the elimination of the classic "classroom" as we know it. The teacher disappears in my scheme, so perhaps it's better if my paradigm remains just an idea.

However, the current TESOL methods aren't working well, if at all, so something else must be tried. Those who act like guard dogs of the current regimes are either very naive, very delusioned, or very "interested", meaning they have a big financial stake in the present "arrangements".

#12 Parent DB - 2006-06-25
Hey Rheno - Teachers Discussion

Hey Rheno..I for one appreciate your postings, not only for the humor I find there - nor simply for your advice to newbies, which they should appreciate. Nope, I appreciate you most for your willingness to tell it like it is, and for the good times you have while doing it. Those who would slight you for your "damned if I won't tell it like it is" attitude, in my opinion, are living in a Pollyanna world wherein the truth, lest it offend someone, need not or should not be told.

Part of this whole ugly truth about esl/efl teaching is that so many of the good positions in the states or elsewhere are only available to those with overseas experience. The TESOL schools happily and glibly inform you that there are "wonderful" experiences awaiting you abroad once you have completed their program. Ah,would that it were so - not some of the time, but most of the time.

I was pretty fortunate myself. Had some great teaching positions in America. Made some good money. But reached a burn out point and thought heading to Asia would rejuvenate me. Truth be told it has, but only after paying some extreme dues and even in a way reinventing myself.

But all the reinventing I can manage will never erase my basic convictions. Yeah, lying and cheating and downright backstabbing will never sit right with me. Nor will I feel good about erasing my notions about my own abilities. I won't put them aside and become "the white faced clown" just so that I can pad the pockets of those who could care less about the betterment of their students.

So, I just keep on keepin' on, and I find that there are always a handful of students who progress and benifit by my teaching style and my belief in student centered activities vs. the teacher making a damn fool of himself and forgetting such things as dignity and honor. And I find that if I run when necessary, there are definitely greener pastures to be found elsewhere. Yeah, life's too short to hang around where you're getting lied to and/or cheated.

On the other side of the coin is what we used to say in the navy: "A bitchin' sailor is a happy sailor." Hmmmm, I doubt seriously if it was an enlisted man who thought that one up; however, there is some truth to the fact that venting can sometimes help us to find our balance.

Well then my friend, I support you 100% and only laugh at those who attack you for your honesty and integrity. Yeah, someday they'll take their Pollyanna rear ends back home and paint a glowing picture of their "wonderful teaching experiences abroad." And, who knows? Maybe they'll land that great teaching position and be praised for their cultural sensitivity. Good for them. But really, if I could tell anyone to shut up, it would be they not you. Why? Because obviously they don't care about those who will be coming here. If they did, they would find a way to advise them to avoid the pitfalls. So far, the only advice I see coming from your detractors is for you to keep your complaints to yourself. Or stated simply, "don't tell it like it is Rheno, let those who are carrying their 'ink still drying diplomas' make their own mistakes."

In China there is an age-old concept of "the others." That's anyone outside of your village or your family, and hey, they just don't matter and should be treated with mistrust and you better get over on them before they get over on you. (Yes, things are changing, but this attitude is still prevalent in many parts of China.) Maybe your detractors have been affected by that attitude. They seem to care less about warning the newcomers/others or even providing them with some much needed advice.

Ok, just rambling...........take it easy........and..........keep on keepin' on.

#13 Parent Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U - 2006-06-25
Where are you, T.C. ? - Teachers Discussion

Candidate, where are you? I assume you're in Thailand someplace.

ThaiCandidate - 2006-06-24
To Raoul Duke - Teachers Discussion

Raoul, I have been attempting to access your China site. Is there a problem with it?

Thanks.

Return to Index › To Raoul Duke - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -