TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › PANJIN - NEW ORIENTAL LANGUAGE SCHOOL - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent takahiko - 2006-07-13
Same "New Oriental"? - Teachers Discussion

Is this the same 'New Oriental' as in "Beijing New Oriental", AKA "foreign language school" ?

Avoid this place, they've been in so much trouble!... in the U.S. and China. This place sickened and disgusted me. I left just so I could return to teaching again.

This place is the pits!

#2 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-07-04
That sounds like Thailand - Teachers Discussion

That sounds just like Thailand.

Thailand isn't a case of "the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing."

It's more like "the right ring finger doesn't know what the right pinkie finger is doing."

#3 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-07-03
Land of Fog

Yup.

The sites etc. aren't clear because the reality isn't clear...it often seems that the bureaucrats have no more idea what's going on than we do.

I don't think there's a nationwide FAO per se, but supposedly all this is set by a branch of the Public Security Bureau (PSB) on the national level.

The reality seems to be that it's even worse than a provincial-level issue; it's possible that every school can be a bit different. It depends upon the "creativity" of your FAO, the strictness of the Foreign Affairs Office of the local PSB, the relationship between the school/FAO and the PSB, and God only knows what else.

I know...in a sane world there should be a uniform set of standards that we can count on to always be in effect everywhere we go in the country. But it just doesn't work that way here. This isn't a sane world. TIFC (This Is F* China). ;-{)

#4 Parent DB - 2006-07-03
Re: degree or not - Teachers Discussion

Yes, I agree it is somewhat of a grey area we're wandering into here regarding whether or not a degree is mandatory. There are some websites that address EFL in China issues, but even they are not exactly clear regarding this particular issue. EFL - Law.com does have some interesting information regarding contracts and a few other tidbits, and has some fairly good links to other sites that address the matter of teaching here in China. The following is a quote from one of those links, but as you will note it shows that the issue is somewhat ambiguous. (In fact it is ambiguous enough that I must retract my previous assertion that it is only lawful for schools to hire a foreign teacher if he or she has a BA.)

"The regulations state very clearly that all Foreign Experts, including teachers of English, must have a minimum education standard of 1st Degree; however, where an applicant can clearly demonstrate an equivalent "academic" standard through experience, sometimes the Foreign Affairs Office may approve such persons. All applications are individually assessed."

Now then, anyone that's been in China for any length of time knows that schools can find their way around the regulations. Private schools are especially adept at this, but of course they are often using guanxi to pull this off. Those that don't have the benifit of guanxi often convince their employees to make the quick trip to Hong Kong or elsewhere to renew their business or tourist visas. Some teachers are willing to do this just because they want to stay longer in the particular area where they're teaching - more power to them.

By the way, if anyone can provide the information that allows one easy access to said Foreign Affairs Office, that would definitely be helpful to many people. Foreign Affairs Officers are of course available on most university campuses. And I once spoke to Foreign Affairs Officers in Jingdezhen where I was expertly cheated (see archives). However, they seemed incapable of doing anything and in fact, though they were friendly and accomodating, they stated outright their inability to do anything about the situation. The question then is where is the official FAO. Is it only provincial or is there an FAO that covers the entire country?

#5 Parent DB - 2006-07-02
Tp Frank re Chris - Teachers Discussion

Hey Frank,
Had you read my message carefully you would not have jumped to the conclusion that I was attacking Chris for having been cheated. I did suggest that things "may have" turned out for the better had he done his research. Also, I was advising that he improve his writing skills before entering the field of second language teaching. Maybe I was a little harsh. If Chris feels that to be the case, I'll happily offer him my apologies; however, it isn't always benificial to the recipient of advice to sugar coat that advice. Truth is sometimes harsh.
And by the way, I have paid my dues in China in the sense that I've been cheated and etc. by employers here. Again note the "may" in my message.
Relax Frank..........

#6 Parent Duke - 2006-07-02
Chris/Pankin - Teachers Discussion

Thanks Chris for telling people about that "Victor" character. I am sorry things did not workout for you. There are other websites warning people of him as well.

#7 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-07-02
It's Twue! It's Twue! - Teachers Discussion

Yeesh, not sure I want in the middle of this one...

However, it does seem to be increasingly true that one now does need a 4-year uni degree in order to get an FEC and work as a teacher in China.And this seems pretty reasonable to me. (If you're coming here to work as, say, a welder, then you indeed don't need a degree to get an FEC...)

I think this change is still in progress. And one should not be surprised to find that a lot of Chinese government administrators, even those supposedly regulating a given area, don't know what the rules are very clearly...

Not saying the school isn't weaselly. Maybe it is. But not necessarily over this.

#8 Parent Frank - 2006-07-02
I am also "shocked" -- by DB! - Teachers Discussion

Problems with writing aside, are you actually going to blame Chris for all of his problems at this school? I ask question after question after question after before accepting positions at various schools, and yet there are ALWAYS unfortunate, and often alarming surprises in store for me.

Lack of forthcoming information and proper websites for "research," and downright deceit by some agents and employers greatly impairs effective "research."

The message was clear: there are problems at that school.

Your attack on this guy was over-the-top and quite "shocking" to me. And who cares if Chinese employers are "laughing"??? I think they are laughing more when we accept such horrendous situations.

It seems you have been far more fortunate in your teaching experiences in China than most of us. If this is true, be grateful, and stop belittling someone for trying to warn others.

#9 Parent DB - 2006-07-02
To Chris/Panjin - Teachers Discussion

Wake up and smell the coffee young man. Had you done the proper research, you may have avoided the problems you encountered. On the other hand, it's obvious from your writing skills that you don't deserve a job teaching ESL - let alone EFL. My advice: Go home please. Get properly educated in English before you tarnish the reputation of well qualified teachers by attempting to teach abroad. There are many colleges that realize the importance of writing skills and that recognize the dismal truth that Western high schools are graduating students who haven't the ability to write their way out of a paper bag. If I were you, I'd choose one of those.

Unfortunately, right now, you are only being laughed at by Chinese students and employers who happen to read the postings here in this forum. But hey, I'm not laughing at you - I'm only shocked by you, and am offering you my humble suggestions. Maybe you think it's too late for you to return to college; therefore, I'll add the following anecdotal story:

While waiting in a long line to register for college classes, a bored young man, wanting to strike up a conversation with the much older man behind him, turned around and said, "excuse me sir, may I ask how old you are?" "Sure," said the smiling old man. "I'm 78 years old." "Wow," exclaimed the young man. "That means you'll be 82 when you graduate!" "Yep," replied the old man mirthfully. "But I'm going to be 82 anyway!"

The lesson then Chris, is that it's never too late to improve ourselves. Life is full of opportunities for those who believe this, and filled with disappointments for those who do not.

And by the way, it is necessary to have a BA to legally teach EFL in China. Those who informed you otherwise are probably teaching illegally at private schools and have obtained visas to do so only because the owners have found a way to circumvent the law.

Good luck!

Chris - 2006-07-01
PANJIN - NEW ORIENTAL LANGUAGE SCHOOL - Teachers Discussion

Dont go to Panjin these days all the foreign teachers are being refused Foreign Expert Certificates by the schools because they simply dont want to pay for it!!! You may have heard a line that you now need a BA or above to get it. THIS IS TOTAL BULL!!! I checked with the National Education beauru, Liaoning Foreign Affairs Department and Panjin Education and Foreign Affairs department. No such policy has ever been issued in China or otherwise! I was recently ripped by Mr Liu(Victor)of New Oriental Language School, Shengli, Panjin, Liaoning who will i state give you internet and pay for holidays. Once he decides to terminate your contract he will then screw you for bills stating "oh but the internet, trips etc... are not in the contract" Then screw you for the money he RIGHTFULLY OWES YOU! Using the excuse that China law now states you need a BA and he cant employ you anymore to break the contract stating he cant give you the work visa/Foreign Expert license anymore.

Be careful of this tactic since other schools in Panjin may try this tactic. But I know WITHOUT DOUBT that Mr Liu (Victor) has screwed over many other foreigners in the past. This was my first job ever in China or in teaching. So be careful there are many conmen out there.

Return to Index › PANJIN - NEW ORIENTAL LANGUAGE SCHOOL - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -