TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › The flow - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent DB - 2006-07-08
Thanks Robin - Teachers Discussion

Yes, after all, he who later became the Buddha only set out on his path toward enlightenment because, like we, he couldn't close his eyes to the suffering that surrounded him. And although Buddhism is essentially a means by which we can learn to accept that suffering while moving our consciousness to a higher plane, it also carries with it the tenet that when one sees someone, or something, that could benefit by our assistance, we are bound by that belief system to do our best to solve the problem - even at the cost of our own safety or well being.
It brings to mind an anectdote that I read long ago, perhaps in The Biography of Paramahansa Yogananda - not a Buddhist, but nevertheless:
While sitting next to the rivers edge, the master and his disciple noticed a scorpion struggling in the water. The master, using a leaf, scooped the scorpion from the water and when it was safe on the shore it stung the master. "But master," remarked the disciple. "Did you not know that the scorpion would sting you?" "Of course," replied the master. Naturally, the disciple was curious as to why the master took that course of action. The master's answer was that had he not done so the scorpion would have drowned.
It is not always easy to know what the correct course of action is to alleviate the suffering around us, but often self sacrifice is the key. Being an imperfect human being though, I often plead ignorance to knowing what that "correct action" truly is. Somewhere though, in the recesses of our consciousness the answer dwells and awaits our true motivation to seek it out and find it. In light of that and in somewhat of the same context, I believe that we all have the ability to affect positive change. Yet, as I stated in a previous posting, we can't always expect to see quick results.
There are those who would say that altruism doesn't exist...it's only a word. I for one disagree.

#2 Parent Robin Day B.Sc. M.Sc. B.Ed. - 2006-07-07
Buddhism Environment Humanitarianism - Teachers Discussion

DB
That was good to point out the links with Buddhism.

It doesn't take a lot of money to make a difference except for buying land and taking it out of the hands of the developers.

I tell my students everyone is my child and they smile and understand me but I don't think it goes deep. Maybe in time.

I found two little brothers in the subway station in Busan Korea. The locals were just sort of brow beating them trying to find out where they lived or where their guardian was. Anyway the kids just left. I saw them again, weeks later, so exhausted from trying to sleep in a bright and noisy subway. It was near Christmas. They weren't begging. They were exhausted.
I could have tried taking them to authorities but they would have run away what with the language barrier and distrust. I gave them some money and they took off fast, so I know they ate that night. In North America if you give money to kids someone calls you a pervert. A sad state.

People often weigh the options of having their own children or adopting. Well there are many more gradations. We can adopt land. If we feel kinship or duty with the rest of humanity we like Raoul can adopt for the time it takes to eat a meal. Many street people/children can't sleep properly and can't wash. They need that too and minor medical care. For the price of a bowl of noodles or a few asperins we can do something.

I remember an unshaven Middle Eastern man (just off the boat) outside my apt. in Ottawa. He was trying to deliver a pizza and did not know the neighbourhood. It was a bitter cold day and he was really poorly dressed, just shoes no boots and gloves, no hat and a thin sort of suit jacket. I had a about 10 new and old coats in my closet upstairs, but I didn't think on the spot. I thought of it later and the pizza pr**ks who hired him and sent him out on the streets in that state.

One evening there was this teenager sitting on the steps of my apt. building in Ottawa. He was sniffing glue from a plastic bag and put it away quickly when he saw me coming. I sized up the situation, struck up a conversation and asked him if he wanted a beer. Ya, I knew he was underage but I still think beer is preferable to glue. We had a talk and a beer and I never saw him again.

#3 Parent DB - 2006-07-07
Raoul/Rose kids/etal - Teachers Discussion

Thanks for the response Raoul. Yes, I too seem to be here for the long haul. And, like you, I sometimes feel as thoug my empathy for what I witness drags me too far down. But we can't avoid it can we? One amazing thing about China is that its shortcoming are far too transparent. In that context I have to often remind myself that what I'm witnessing is not so different than what I may, or have in some cases, witnessed in other parts of the world. Even in America for example it is estimated that more than a million children go to bed hungry every night. And throughout the world.......well, you know the deal - human suffering, man's inhumanity to man, the relentless and shocking degradation of the planet. Well, some of us just haven't got the ability to turn a blind eye to it all; especially in the light of the truth that if we could all work together to solve some of these problems we could start to turn things around.

But also like you Raoul I haven't the cash flow to make that kind of difference. We can only tell it like we see it and meanwhile do our best to help out where we can. This is why I'm a firm believer in "The Hundredth Monkey Syndrome."

At one time there was an institute called "The Hundredth Monkey Institute." (HMS) They were very low key and in fact so low key that they still very will may exist. Stated simply, their purpose was to elevate consciousness. Kind of like Buddhism if you break it down to its bare bones. The concept behind HMS stems from the obversation of a startling change in a tribe of monkeys on an island off the coast of Japan. For many years yams were daily brought to this little island so that the monkeys would have a proper diet. The yams would be dumped on to the sandy shore. One day something remarkable happened. One young monkey picked up a yam and took it the shoreline and washed the sand off it. Over a period of time the monkey created the amazing change that all the members of the tribe were now washing the sand from the yams. It didn't happen quickly. The first to follow suit was that monkey's aunt - the mother quite adamently refused and resisted. But ultimately she, like the other stubborn ones, gave in and found how satisfying it was to eat a yam free of sand.

Now, here's the kicker. Shortly after a hundred or so monkeys began washing their yams, the monkeys on another island where yams were also provided started doing the same thing! Thus the belief that elevating consciousness is the key to the planet's survival and the key to what Buddhists call "right action." And who knows? There very well may be a magic number that creates a sea change here on our planet. Suddenly X amount of people "get it," and wham things start changing for the better quickly. One can hope.

So yeah, we can't all follow the example now being set by Bill Gates and Warren Buffet - bless their charitable hearts. But we can hope that by setting good examples and educating others in terms of the possibilities that exist for a kind and caring society, and for a planet that can be healed of the harms we've caused, that we will create some kind of snowball effect.

Yes, you are so right Raoul, charity doesn't seem to be high on the list of importance for the rich of China, nor even for the newly created middle and upper middle classes. Yeah, the East of China and the West of China are as different as night and day. China's leaders plead with the wealthy and successful to share the wealth, In fact, Deng Xioping's (sp.) belief was like Reagan's - the old "trickle down" theory. Not.

It gets harder and harder for me to keep my trap shut the longer I stay here. When I was much younger, had I not made the break from the mainstream in America and moved off to the woods for 11 years and lived a fairly solitary life for several years after that, my mouth probably would have gotten me into serious trouble. It could happen here too because now I find myself walking a tightrope in that regard. Albeit, I refuse to shut my eyes or my mouth that so wants to report what my eyes see.

And so I babble away.........blah, blah....and have my secret hopes to accompany my not so secret hurts.

#4 Parent Raoul Duke D.U.I., B.L.T., L.S.D., RUN.DMC - 2006-07-06
How to do it? - Teachers Discussion

Nice post, DB, thanks.

I'd love to help out. I think I'm a long-term China guy and this is home to me.

Unfortunately so far my efforts have been limited to feeding some of the beggar kids once in a while. It's hard to find a way to make meaningful change here without access to a lot of people and resources.

- There's a strong feeling of "Anything other than my family and friends can go straight to hell!" in China. There's an old and strong tradition of sticking to one's own knitting here. There was a time when this made sense in China; in some regards maybe it still does.

- There's not a strong tradition of charitable giving here. Some of this stems from the factor above. Some of it stems from the fact that not all charities in China are trustworthy.

- There's not a strong tradition of volunteering or making a public stand here. Heads that stick up tend to get cut off.

- A lot of so-called "volunteer" programs are really scams whose only beneficiary is the Chinese businessman who set them up; these guys laugh their asses off at the idiots silly enough to work for them for free. We looked into a program in Shanghai purporting to help educate the children of migrant workers- indeed a very noble cause. The guy's classroom was a steel shipping container- no windows, no electricity, no bathroom, no heat or AC. AND the guy was charging tuition from the desperate, impoverished parents. We ran away screaming. There are a few good programs here, but you have to be very careful. It helps to work through an international NGO.

Other than individual acts of kindness, doing good things here is a daunting task. Believe it or not, I've laid awake many nights trying to think of a way to do something, especially for small children. I've talked to some of the rose kids and I genuinely grieve for them. So far I have thought of nothing feasible without funding and helping hands.

I'm definitely open to ideas.

DB - 2006-07-06
The flow - Teachers Discussion

Interesting that the recent flow of communication in this forum has touched on such topics as abuse to animals, which has naturally led to forays into environmental abuse and even worker abuse and oh yes child abuse. I find this heartening. For one it shows me that my fellow ESL/EFL teachers are for the most part caring and compassionate individuals. And for the other it shows me that we are mutually meandering through this maze called Asia with our eyes wide open.

Now, although we are in some ways mandated to maintain a certain degree of political correctness, it begs the question how far are we willing to go to set the young people of these countries onto paths of "correct consciousness?" Granted, it would take a real dolt to expouse his or her personal feelings in the classroom regarding such issues as Tibet or Taiwan - in fact I know of at least one teacher who has gotten the boot over the Taiwan issue; however, I feel no compunctions about letting my feelings be known about the need for an expanded environmental movement here in China or the need to create an environmental consciousness in the young people here or elsewhere in Asia.

If indeed we feel that certain issues are critical, is it not our responsibility as compassionate, caring individuals to make even small attempts to alter the wrongs that we see? I think so. Depending on which environment I find myself teaching in - having first tested the waters of course, I often incorporate into my lessing planning or communication sessions some discussion regarding the environment, my personal axe to grind.

So while we are grinding our individual axes here, I hope that at the same time more of us will follow examples such as Robin Day's who protects a sixty acre section of Canada. (Kudos for that Robin!) I'm not sure if it helped, but here's an example of something I did that may have, in a small way, created change. I was working at a business college in Qingdao. The college was on a campus that had the potential to be quite beautiful. Unfortunately, most students on that campus either didn't give a damn or were just plain ignorant of the need to protect the environment. Every day on my way to work I had to cross a little bridge that spanned a creek that flowed through the campus. Could have been a nice little stroll to lighten my head before classes. Ha! No such luck. The creek was so polluted and so littered with garbage from the students and campus workers that it was not only disgusting to look at but also carried an unimaginably potent reek. Ah the winds of Qingdao - those cooling breezes in the hot summer that supposedly make it such a nice tourist destination. Well, not that part of Qingdao. The winds carried the near unbearable odor and it was wafted all about the campus.

Finally, I had enough. I always set aside a certain amount of classroom time for open discussion with my students. I carefully breached the topic of "the campus creek." One young lady, the brightest in the class, listened with rapt attention before offering up this little tidbit, "But what can we do about it?"
"Hmmmmmmmm," I replied. "Have you ever heard of the EPA?" (Yes, there is an Environmental Protection Agency in China.) Well, no she hadn't heard of it, but I watched with admiration as she wrote it down for later translation into Chinese. Perhaps she will create change. Perhaps she will shy away from confrontation with higher authority, But either way I left the classroom that day feeling as though I had accomplished something beyond trying to hammer English into the thick heads of students in a class where only 10 percent had any real interest in learning it.

But we keep on keepin' on don't we? So thanks again all of you who have raised such interesting points for the last few days. I hope we can all, even in small ways, make a change. Whether we see the change in our lifetimes or not is inconsequential. What really matters is that we try. Do you know about the "Hundredth Monkey Syndrome."

Return to Index › The flow - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -