TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › tefl dissertation - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent Frank - 2006-07-11
To DB - Teachers Discussion

I apologize for using a public forum for this request, but I am asking DB to please send me an email message directly, so we can discuss a few things away from the discussion forum. Xie Xie! Frank

#2 Parent DB - 2006-07-09
dissertation - Teachers Discussion

Good advice Robin. I think CALL is a great idea especially. We know that Computer Assisted Language Learning could be a great leap forward, but right now it seems to lack a clear path or a definitive message as to how and why it can be beneficial. In fact there are some great programs out there - Rosetta Stone for one, but there are so many new ones popping up that sooner or later there will be a need for more qualified teachers and/or administrators to discern which of those are worthwhile. And of course the question remains as to how often such programs should be utilized and whether or not they can replace the teacher.
Before coming to China I used a few of them - I'm most familiar with Rosetta Stone, and found them to be quite effective when incorporated into intensive English classes with immigrants. I think that they were most useful when used as a tool to increase vocabulary, eand espcially so with beginning students who had prior computer experience.

At any rate, more research as to the overall effectiveness of such programs is definitely needed and so of all the worthy topics you mentioned, I would personally put that on the top of the list.

I find your reference to the fact that Chinese students tend to leave their dictionaries unused an interesting point. I often have university students here in China asking me the important question of how they can increase their vocabulary. It's a valid question, and the research regarding vocabulary acquisition, past and current, is exhaustive.

My rudimentary forays into finding a satisfactory answer to the question has led me to delivering a few lectures based on my findings; however, I can't pretend to be an expert. I am relatively satisfied though with the belief that we too often expect the dictionary to be the where all and end all of vocabulary acquisition. In fact in many cases I've had to mandate that dictionary use, and that includes the damn electronic dictionaries that students fork out so much dough for, are not allowed in my classroom unless I request it.

In so many ways my foundational beliefs regarding second language learning are based on Krashen's approach. Simply stated, in the context of adding vocabulary, if we think of how we ourselves learned vocabulary then we must come to the conclusion that few of us relied heavily on a dictionary.

Well, I must go cook dinner and lest I babble on I better close and hope for some additional discussion here in the forum on not just the topic of vocabulary acquisition, but also how to make it a permanent part of the lexicon.

#3 Parent Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. - 2006-07-09
TEFL Dissertation - Teachers Discussion

Isn't your dissertation supervisor supposed to guide you?

Are you interested in survey methods, interviews, filming/audio recording, computer-assisted learning, experimental teaching...if you want to take this dissertation further plan now and make some money out of it.

1. How about this: Write a book called How Kids Learn English and start interviewing them, their teachers and parents and see if what is reported matches up. You may also use a camera and pick up data about learning methods. For example kids help each other quite a bit.

2. There is quite a bit of interest among teachers as to where exactly children pick up their English words. Kids in the 10 to 12 year old range are learning a lot from computer games. It's an interesting area to study. About 60-70% of my college age students in China are not using the dictionaries on their desks. That sort of thing needs to be quantified and then you can try getting to the root cause. Maybe they are more motivated to use electronic dictionaries.

3. Are you interested in background noise and music and the effect on language learning?

4. Are you interested in learning language during sleep time?

You can write me directly if you like.

shak - 2006-07-08
tefl dissertation - Teachers Discussion

Hello All,

I am thinking about my dissertation as I will be soon going into my third year at university. I was thinking of doing a project based on the exams people have to complete, and comparing these to the new exams of skills for life.

I was hoping someone could maybe suggest a few more ideas on what I could possibly do my dissertation on as I am completely stuck and havent got a clue.

please someone help me I would really appreciate it.

Thanking you all in advance.

Return to Index › tefl dissertation - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -