TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Interesting BBC article "Google and Beyond: The New Silicon Valley Kingpins"
Curious - 2016-02-02
Interesting BBC article "Google and Beyond: The New Silicon Valley Kingpins"

Interesting article about what elements make Indians succeed in the US IT world. The English language is one. Then comes a culture of competition, individual humility and diversity. Weakness: Teamwork.

So, what makes this group of Indians so phenomenally successful?

Some elements are obvious. Other US immigrants have to learn to speak a new language. But almost all higher education in India is conducted in English, a legacy of the country's colonial past.

Shukla also believes that Indian culture can help create a successful management paradigm because he says it's a nation that places high value on both competition and individual humility. Diversity is also ingrained in a country where even in small villages there may be multiple languages spoken, several religions and more than one type of local cuisine.

Still, no one is perfect. For all their strengths, there is a major flaw. "Indian executives are the weakest of any country when it comes to teamwork," according to the research Bains said, of an area where Americans and Europeans do well.

“In next three to five years in India, half a billion people are going to be coming online using smartphones. You're going to see a tech revolution there. You're going to see dozens of billion dollar companies coming out of India,” he said. “If I was an entrepreneur I wouldn't come to America. I'd stay in India right now because that's where the opportunities are.”

Return to Index › Interesting BBC article "Google and Beyond: The New Silicon Valley Kingpins"

Go to another board -