TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Job Placement Services - Teachers Discussion
#1 Parent Cian - 2006-07-13
Maybe not... - Teachers Discussion

I can't be sure that it IS a definite bad sign. Last year, the Jiangsu MoE ran a pilot program looking for new, inexperienced prospective teachers to enroll on a month long TESOL course, with 8 hours hands-on classroom experience provided to them for free. It's possible that they're not trying to "fool" anyone. Maybe the reason that they are encouraging "greenies" is that they just want to get some new blood into Nanjing, and let the experienced teachers fend for themselves. My understanding is that upon completion of the TESOL course, the Jiangsu MoE contacted a number of schools and informed them that they had 10 newly qualified "teachers" (it has been mentioned in a previous post that a cert by no means qualifies someone to teach and I wholeheartedly agree) and left it up to the schools to decide who they want (if any).
My guess is that the Jiangsu MoE hasn't filled up all their places for their TESOL course yet, and are just putting enquiries from experienced teachers like Frank to one side for the time being, although this kind of behaviour could seem a little bit disconcerting, to say the least.

#2 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-07-13
You were right! - Teachers Discussion

Hey Frank!

You've got more direct experience with these people than I do. My knowledge of them came more from a project level (I've been a seller and provider of training in Jiangsu for a long time now...).

It sounds like you were right on this one, and that my optimism, like so much optimism regarding Chinese educational institutions, was misplaced.

Only hiring new teachers is a definite bad sign. It means they're looking for people they think will be easier to fool.

Stay away.

#3 Parent Frank - 2006-07-12
My two encounters with Jiangsu Ministry of Education - Teachers Discussion

As I am in the midst of a job search in Nanjing, I responded to a typical cryptic posting from Jiangsu Ministry of Education about a month ago. I was promptly contacted by two different people with the agency asking me to send Passport page and telephone number (I had already supplied resume and all support educational/professional documents). I usually withhhold the passport page and telephone number until I am sure it is a position worth pursuing further.

After the two representatives from JMofEd persuaded me to send the passport and telephone number, poof!, they disappeared, leaving me feeling, well... you can imagine.

Last week, a few potantially interesting (blind) job leads appeared from -- guess who -- Jiangsu Ministry of Education. With hesitation, I sent a letter of inquiry, but told them I did so with hesitancy (and trepidation) because of the disappearing act they had pulled a month earlier.

The project placement manager promptly replied with apologies and assured me the situation would not repeat itself this time, and that he would contact me "again within a few days with some appropriate offers to consider." That was the last correspondence I received from him.

Perhaps the most telling thing in his reply was that JMoEd was concentrating their efforts on recruiting new teachers, not experienced ones. Wow! What does this say to you??? In my mind, it means they are seeking what some posters would call "greenies" who are not so skilled in asking any and all vital questions before venturing to China and signing contracts.

Based on my two, brief and failed encounters with this outfit, I would
say they like to avoid more experienced FTs who ask to many questions and require too many details.

I always agree so much with Raoul Duke's advice. Why didn't I listen to him on this one??? Sorry, Raoul!

#4 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-07-12
If it quacks like a duck... - Teachers Discussion

If you collect resumes from teachers and match them with teaching jobs in other organizations, you're a recruiting agency. This is just a case where a government agency is getting the money rather than some local weasel.

However, this one might be better than most. The Jiangsu MoE is really up on its hind legs lately trying to bolster English education in the province. You may not get top salaries here but you might find some decent positions. Worth a look.

#5 Parent Cian - 2006-07-12
It's not really a recruiting agency but... - Teachers Discussion

If you're applying for a job in Nanjing you could try

www.traininglinkchina.com

or at least make an enquiry to

enquiry@traininglinkchina.com

It's run by the Jiangsu Provincial Ministry of Education. They will most likely find you a job, but that is by no means a guarantee that it is the perfect job for you. Still, it's a place to start.

#6 Parent Raoul Duke D.U.I., B.L.T., L.S.D., RUN.DMC - 2006-07-11
Don't use them in China! - Teachers Discussion

Agencies might be OK in SA; I don't know.

Readers should be warned to NOT use recruiters for jobs in China. They're bad news and not really necessary anyway.

Amanda Frankel - 2006-07-10
Job Placement Services - Teachers Discussion

Hello, I am a teacher looking for work in South America. (prefers Buenos Aires)I have been looking for a very long time, and I am considering using a teaching placement service as I am running short of time. I know of one (CACTUS) but I was wondering if anyone knew of any other placement services so I could compare?

Return to Index › Job Placement Services - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -