TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › original documents
#1 Parent AC_YC - 2016-02-19
Re original documents

I'm feeling a case of deja vu here. Anyway at least someone seems to be confirming what I said in a recent thread and also in another location! No doubt the naysayers will have something to say about how ridiculous it all is....

More or less the same clause was added to our contracts with the exception of the fine. The PSB here (Shanxi) are requiring these documents to process the resident permit. It came to light because our FAO went to process one and had to return to school to get them. Luckily the foreign teacher had them with him otherwise who knows what might have evolved.

In your situation, would it not be easier to ask your parents to have a search and find it and courier it to you? If you have genuinely lost it the vast majority of Universities can issue copies for a fee. Mine does, it is all on their website and the cost is reasonable and certainly much cheaper than a return ticket home!

I suggest those reading this even if it is not needed where they are or intend to be expect that sooner or later it will be and prepare for it. Forearmed is forewarned!

#2 Parent Paul Fox - 2016-02-19
Re original documents

Rules in China are often changing and some schools want different things than others
The school is NOT being unreasonable by requesting to see your original
Is there anyway you can get it mailed to you?
If you are going to provide a copy then it needs to be authenticated - otherwise the school could accuse you of providing them with a fake degree copy
It is becoming more common in parts of China for employers to ask to SEE the original
If you don't have it, I suggest you get it
It may take time but if you talk to the school and tell them you have asked for it to be mailed, they will likely believe you and it shouldn't stop them from employing you

Jake - 2016-02-18
original documents

I realise this has been mentioned before in other places on this board but there does not seem to be a concrete answer.

I was wondering if anyone has any news or is abreast with the current situation.

Simply I am dealing with a new school in Xi'an who have sent me a contract which is acceptable but there appears to have been added an addendum which reads as follows:-

'Provision of documents
In order to process your resident permit the Public Security Bureau require that you produce the original or officially authenticated copy of matching degree and criminal record check which were supplied to us to obtain the initial 'z' visa. This also applies if you are renewing your resident permit or transferring your resident permit from another province. If upon arrival you are unable to produce the same documents your employment will be terminated forthwith and you will be charged a visa processing fee of 2,200RMB.'

I am currently in Harbin and we had none of this. It will be a big hassle for me to get the original copy of my degree. It is with my parents but they have moved house several times since and asking them to locate it is a nuisance. I already have a resident permit for here which simply needs transferring, the new school are insisting that this rule now stands.

Is this happening elsewhere. I now have to consider whether I really want this job bad enough to pay for a ticket home to find my original degree or look elsewhere.

Any ideas? What would you do in this situation?

Return to Index › original documents

Go to another board -