TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › English FIrst - Teachers discussion
#1 Parent chiquitita - 2006-07-18
EF Turkey - Teachers Discussion

Hi,

I am currently working at EF in Istanbul and I can't complain.

Sure, there are some split shifts, weekend work and evening work and students who progress even though they should repeat a level but theses are not issues that you will find only at EF.

I get paid on time, work between 20-23 hours a week, there are good resources, good students and really good colleagues who will always help you out.

I'd recommend it.

Good luck!

#2 Parent Lazlo - 2006-07-14
EF Turkey - Teachers Discussion

I am not sure about the visa runs. i am an american living abroad and trying to get my first job abroad. i did some research on the turkish embassy page it it sounded like i could mail the necessary documents to the embassy in the states. EF advised they would contact me on what would be needed to get the paperwork. The post from Janyce was 18 months ago. maybe things have changed in the school. i would like to hear from someone that a more recent experience.

#3 Parent Rheno747 - 2006-07-13
Question on Turkey - Teachers Discussion

I was interested in getting a job in Turkey at one time. I've heard I'd have to pick up the work permit inside the USA (my home digs)--one can not pick it up from outside his home country. Doing 'visa runs' in Turkey would mean flying to New York or Washington for me.

Is this true?

#4 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-07-12
Better in Turkey? - Teachers Discussion

If you did take it, I hope they have a better track record in Turkey than they are in other parts of the world. This is not a widely loved name in China.

#5 Parent Lazlo - 2006-07-12
did you accept the position - Teachers Discussion

I was wondering if you accepted the position with Englsih First. The testimonial from Janyce is the only one I have encountered about English First, especially in Turkey. I am looking at a poistion myselft with the company.

#6 Parent Raoul Duke - 2006-04-22
Chain English Mills - Teachers discussion

I like the McDonald's analogy. And I DON'T like chain English mills such as EF.

If you eat in an independent restaurant, it MIGHT suck, but at least you also have some chance of getting a pretty good hamburger there.

If you eat at McDonald's, you can be pretty safe in the knowledge that your burger is going to suck.

As far as I've heard EF still offers the same inept local management, dodgy textbooks, low standards, and unpredictable treatment/environment it always has. I couldn't possibly ever recommend that anyone (at least anyone for whom I don't have a death wish) go to work there.

I would say the same things about all of the other chain English mills in China, with the possible exception of most Web International schools.

#7 Parent frank andrews - 2006-04-12
EF still the same? - Teachers discussion

Asking if EF is still the same is like asking if McDonalds is still the same. It would depend on which one interests you. Easy to get a job there, so pick a geo-political location you will like.
I have found that their managers like to pretend they are DOS or teachers and respond to emails accordingly. If they are doing that first shot out of the box, you know you will be in for even more fraudulance, deceit and dishonesty.
But thats just a generality. Treat each and every one of them separately and individually, just the way you want to be treated. See what happens.
Good luck!

#8 Parent tas - 2006-04-10
English FIrst - Teachers discussion

Hi,
Do you know if EF is still hte same? I was planning to teach there in June....i'm really confused now.

Return to Index › English FIrst - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -