TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re On Chomsky
#1 Parent TheMount - 2016-02-28
Re On Chomsky

I think its well put as 'the ugly face of nationalism'. Nationalism isn't a bad thing IMO and might be a good thing. Chile might be getting a little bump of nationalistic pride and it's done right. But some cultures around here seem to have decided 'Nationalism' means 'Versus'. It means what are we compared to 'the other'. Where's our enemy or rival.

When I was a young man in Canada I used to cringe when the state-sponsored TV channel would do these 'Nationalism' types of man-on-the-street interviews along the lines of 'Whats the Best thing about Canada?'. Sure, someone might say "We have the best Hockey leagues!" or "We have the most beautiful landscapes".

But sure enough, even a majority would be something like "We don't have gang violence like the USA!" or something like "Canada is great because we aren't the world's policeman like the USA!" and all these 'We aren't as bad at X like Americans".

I've hated that since. For anyone. If your 'National Pride' is how someone else is 'worse than you' then quite seriously you have a problem with your country. Boast in national pride all you want and good for you - but it should be about your country on its own rights and merits as it stands.

#2 Parent San Migs - 2016-02-27
Re On Chomsky

I don't have a problem with patriotism but I am concerned about the ugly face of nationalism.

It is good that you are, but then you are presently living in what is currently the most nationalist and stiffest country on earth. So I would say it is good you are interested in this topic as it may concern you and other expat/retired FT's living in said place. One wonders if the party is outed and a very nationalist junta seizes power what would happen then. I'd get out sooner rather than later, given what is occuring in the South China sea. China 2004 it is not.

Return to Index › Re On Chomsky

Go to another board -